New Leatherman Serac Lights?

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
It seems Leatherman is coming out with a group of three new LED flashligts. I don't have a lot of info, but here's the links to Leatherman's Image Library...
Promotional pics of the new lights.
S1 & S2 sell sheet.
S3 sell sheet.
FAQ sheet.

Super short version...
All= waterproof, type III HA aluminum, tail click, regulated
Serac 1= 1xAAA, Nichia 5mm GS-K1, 1 level output, smooth AL reflector
Serac 2=1xAAA, Cree XLamp XR-E, 2 level output, textured AL reflector
Serac 3=1xCR123, Cree XLamp XR-E, 3 level output, textured AL relector

Any thoughts from the flashlight gurus?:candle:

1 what

Enlightened
I guess they will be well made and not inexpensive. Light output is not outstanding. I don't know if I need/want another light of this format.:sigh:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its nice to see more and more main stream brands putting out higher quality lights. However, there is nothing particularly mindblowing about the stats of these lights. Then again, leatherman usually puts out a pretty decent product, albeit it a fairly pricey one. I will be very interested to see what the pricing on these will eventually be.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I guess they will be well made and not inexpensive. Light output is not outstanding. I don't know if I need/want another light of this format.:sigh:

If the #'s are true then the S3 is comparable to my SF E1B, I'd say that that's decent. 7 lumens for 35 hours on low ain't bad at all IMO.

That S2 sounds interesting as well, kind of like a pre-made LOD-Microstream with a bit less output and only two-levels. The numbers (35 lumens for 45 minutes) actually sound pretty realistic if they're based on alkaline cells. That's better than my LOD can do on an alkie and there's no way that it's 75 lumens, LOL. I'm lookin' forward to some reviews on these, if they're decently built and priced right I can see these as great gift lights.....................plenty bright for a non-flashaholic, easy UI's and simple clicky switches.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting so far. Too bad they didn't make a model with AA's. It'll be interesting to compare the S1 to the Fenix E01.

fstuff

Newly Enlightened
It seems Leatherman is coming out with a group of three new LED flashligts. I don't have a lot of info, but here's the links to Leatherman's Image Library...
Promotional pics of the new lights.
S1 & S2 sell sheet.
S3 sell sheet.
FAQ sheet.

Super short version...
All= waterproof, type III HA aluminum, tail click, regulated
Serac 1= 1xAAA, Nichia 5mm GS-K1, 1 level output, smooth AL reflector
Serac 2=1xAAA, Cree XLamp XR-E, 2 level output, textured AL reflector
Serac 3=1xCR123, Cree XLamp XR-E, 3 level output, textured AL relector

Any thoughts from the flashlight gurus?:candle:

Nichia 5mm?

these the same bulbs in DX's $4 1W 1AA?

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
LOL....What!!! no cool pliers!?!?!?! Or knife blade!?!?!?! Im def. Not in...lol In all seriousness I cant wait.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Doug Ritter had a bit on these in his blog - seemed promising but the function is a deal breaker for me - apparently a reverse clickie so you toggle between low and high with a soft press, which isn't an issue, but apparently it neither remembers the last mode nor starts at the same point each time, but after off it continues to the next level. I.e. if you're in low, turn it off, it starts on high the next time, or on the CR123 model if you're in medium, turn it off, the next time you turn it on you'll be in high. I can't find any rationale for that approach to the UI - requiring you to remember the last mode and then toggle to the next one. I suspect for many here, assuming that is how they work, that will not be a popular approach. Very disappointing as I like the look of them.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Doug Ritter had a bit on these in his blog - seemed promising but the function is a deal breaker for me - apparently a reverse clickie so you toggle between low and high with a soft press, which isn't an issue, but apparently it neither remembers the last mode nor starts at the same point each time, but after off it continues to the next level. I.e. if you're in low, turn it off, it starts on high the next time, or on the CR123 model if you're in medium, turn it off, the next time you turn it on you'll be in high. I can't find any rationale for that approach to the UI - requiring you to remember the last mode and then toggle to the next one. I suspect for many here, assuming that is how they work, that will not be a popular approach. Very disappointing as I like the look of them.
:ohgeez:
That's a bit of a turnoff....:oops:
(No pun intended)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't fault Leatherman for jumping on the bandwagon, but I hope they put some thought and effort into the product line and don't try to milk too much from brand recognition.

-Trevor

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I actually like the 2 tone look and for some reason the simple clip design looks pretty slick as well. I am wondering if the stainless bezel will make it feel odd or topheavy in the hand....regardless pretty interesting look.

GPB

Enlightened
I really like that S3. Depending on its price point that could be a turning point in mainstream flashlights. Anyone know if they are out yet, or has any idea when they will be available.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
I really like that S3. Depending on its price point that could be a turning point in mainstream flashlights. Anyone know if they are out yet, or has any idea when they will be available.
I haven't heard anything about that. They aren't even up on their main site yet, nor have I gotten a newletter, which is what they normally seem to do when introducing something this new.

Edit: Scratch that... This site states fall 2008 for release.:popcorn:It also gives $25, 50, & 70 as the MSRP on the lights.

Last edited: