Duracell Rugged Daylite LEDs

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Duracell Daylite LED Light w/"True Beam" Optics, 3W, 2AA?

I noticed a Duracell LED flashlight in the hardware store and
can't find any discussion here. Is anyone familiar with the
Duracell (branded) 2AA LED flashlight? It advertises "True Beam"
optics. It appears to be a small lens in line with emitter
set at the base of a normal reflector. They claim this gives
a better beam. The package photos compare a yellow
ringing beam to a solid smooth bright white beam. (They
wouldn't have Photoshopped those, would they? :)

I couldn't see the emitter well behind the optic (and probably
wouldn't have recognized any subtle differences.) The
package says it is a 80 Lumen 3W manufacturer rated
LED. (They don't say what they drive it at....) It also
says it is made from aircraft aluminum, but it feels rubbery
through the little "feel me" hole in the package.

I can't find it on Duracell's website. When I search with
Google I find the same, or a very similar light, on sales sites
usually in the Garrity section. (None of the sites I looked
at have anything more information than on the package.)

It was going for $30 at a no discount place. Any ideas if
this is a great budget light or just another OK light?

Thanks.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Duracell Daylite LED Light w/"True Beam" Optics, 3W, 2AA?

doesnt look to bad , even has the copper bottom :) looks like a focusing head

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Duracell Daylite LED Light w/"True Beam" Optics, 3W, 2AA?

Just put Duracell Daylite into Google

Lots of specs and pictures

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this has not already been posted somewhere else.

daylite-flashlight.jpg

Besides a sturdy all-weather design, the Daylites feature TrueBeam technology that uses "both a lens and a reflector to capture and project up to 100 percent of the light," which they claim significantly enhances brightness. Plus, a 3:1 zoom eliminates the annoying dark spot typical of most flashlights.

Duracell will be offering the Daylite in three varieties: the 80 lumens AAA / AA versions (both $25) and the powerful 160 lumens CR123 version ($35) beginning this month at drug and hardware stores. Duracell seems to be aiming at the MagLite market with the Daylites, but it remains to be seen whether the performance justifies the price tag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBmv...ylite-led-flashlights-annihilate-the-darkness

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Re: Duracell Lights ???

indeed, but im leaning towards simplier AA lights so that will probably my first pick!

seems like maglite is taking a hit from all sides now

shomie911

Enlightened
I don't know what LED it is, but it looked completely blue in the video. A horrible sickly blue. :sick2:

I'll stick with the real flashlight brands. :twothumbs

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread on it a couple of weeks ago, the guy who bought it says it's total crap. LED looks like ssc p4 from one of the official photos.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will post a couple of beamshots later. I do like how recessed the reverse clicky switch is... and I do find myself using the light walking around the house at night quite often... but it does have a very funky beam that looks nothing like the nice round one in the video.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I don't know what LED it is, but it looked completely blue in the video. A horrible sickly blue. :sick2:
I'll stick with the real flashlight brands. :twothumbs

The one I have is NOT sickly blue. Cool white, yes, but not blue. This light has flaws, but give it a fair chance before passing video-tint-judgment.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
While it seems well constructed, I would be cautious about calling it "rugged" since it's difficult to know how this type of focusing mechanism will hold up after being dropped.

Also, for a 2xAA flashlight, this light is huge! The barrel is at least as wide as the Coleman 2xAA, but it's significantly longer, and the bezel alone is just massive. You could carry it in a very large jacket pocket or in an accomodating belt holster, but otherwise this isn't a pocket light.

The focus doesn't really go from spot to a "wide area flood," but it does create a nice balanced narrow flood which can help bring out details.

The reflector does not change position in relation to the emitter (which probably is a Seoul P4); instead the optic is mounted on three transparent plastic posts which move within the reflector. "Spot" focus is achieved with the optic at it's farthest position from the emitter, and the entire reflector is in use (you will see the yellow phosphor filling the reflector). "Flood" focus is reached when the optic is moved closer to the emitter. With the optic closer, more light passes through the optic and less light reaches the outer portion of the reflector (you'll only see the yellow phosphor closer to the center of the reflector, and in the optic of course).

So don't freak out if the phosphor doesn't fill the reflector when you look at it in the store; this is normal if it's in the flood position.

Overall: No, it's not an amazing light, and it's pretty bulky. However, the hybrid focusing system makes it very interesting, and being able to switch from a standard spot-and-spill to a narrow but balanced flood could make it useful for certain situations.

scottaw

Enlightened
I wish those dots around the neck for focusing were actually for brightness, U2 style...HA, might be hoping for a bit much at $35. But serously, at this price, sold in wal mart next to the mags...160 lumens is going to blow people's minds.:huh:

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
FYI, I found these at a Wal-mart in Columbia, SC. There was a 2AA version as well as a 3AAA model. Both were priced at $26.98. The 3AAA version had a larger reflector and was shorter. And, no I did not buy one. If it had a nice tint, better output, several output levels, and still cost around $30 i might have been interested.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I don't like that sharp edge on the front. It could hurt if you sit on it accidentally. Also, it looks like it could roll out of reach when you set it down.

The front edge doesn't feel very sharp, but then again I haven't tried sitting on it ;)

It will roll, but since the bezel is wider than the tail it will roll in a circle and come back to you. The tailcap has a hole for a ring or lanyard if you're especially concerned about rolling, but it might affect the light's ability to tail-stand.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of pics... the light is long.... Almost as long as my AE 3xAA dive light!
2783841858_ca61d09b0e.jpg

Here is a shot of the light's "spot" beam
2782988487_9922dab9d5.jpg

The "flood" beam has much less... but a wider spill, with a square (inova T1) type hotspot with some blue in one corner. I just could not get a good picture of it though.