Polishing Novatac Bezel.....Easy-Off Not Working!?

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am using Easy-off oven cleaner to get rid of the ano on a Novatac bezel. I sprayed on the stuff and left it for 2 hours. Rinsed with water...nothing happened to the finish. Am I supposed to leave it for longer? I've read somewhere that oven cleaner should work pretty quick.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I don't think oven-cleaner will take off anodizing.
As long as it has NaOH, it will.

Centro- don't just spray it, you gotta submerge the parts in the oven cleaner. I don't know what the NaOH concentration of commercial products is, so check often to prevent damaging the flashlight parts your de-anodizing.

Centropolis

Enlightened

Centro- don't just spray it, you gotta submerge the parts in the oven cleaner. I don't know what the NaOH concentration of commercial products is, so check often to prevent damaging the flashlight parts your de-anodizing.

So I guess I should get a glass and submerge the bezel into the stuff. It is NaOH. I will try again.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Would you consider going the non-chemical route?

For the novatac bezel, I found using some fine steel wool & a green scotch brite pad made very quick work of the black coating.
If you fit the steel wool & scrotchbrite pad to a dremel, it'll be even quicker...

-AZ

Centropolis

Enlightened
Would you consider going the non-chemical route?

For the novatac bezel, I found using some fine steel wool & a green scotch brite pad made very quick work of the black coating.
If you fit the steel wool & scrotchbrite pad to a dremel, it'll be even quicker...

-AZ

What level of steel wool did you use?

alphazeta

Enlightened
The green pad is primarily what I used to remove the coating. (frankly, I thought it came off a bit too easily.) I used #0000 steel wool for the final polishing.

-AZ

shomie911

Enlightened

You learn something ever day. :laughing:

pipspeak

Enlightened
First try brass wool or a brass brush... it might be enough to take off the paint and will not scratch the steel at all. Otherwise try 0000 (or 000) steel wool.

merlocka

Enlightened
I just used a dremel tool polishing bit. My dremel tool came with a small sample of compound, it only took a little bit. I didn't strip any paint, just took the ring off and polished it.

I've seen others who have done a much better job, but I ran out of skin on my thumb (didn't have a vice to hold it). I might hit it again, there is still a bit of black in the recesses.

85p006smallbv6.jpg

Latest posts