Cool Mini-"spotlight" for car (*pictures*)

Mugrunty

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd show you this cool little light I found at Harbor Freight. It was about 12 bucks...So i got it.

It's a really small light that fits in your car's cigarette lighter power outlet. You can leave it in there forever untill you need it. I guess it's a great idea if you want some light and don't need the outlet for smoking.
You turn the light on just by twisting the bezel. It "clicks" into place for on or off(charging).

Here's some quick pictures I took:

SANY0715.jpg

SANY0716.jpg

-Just the packaging

SANY0717.jpg

SANY0718.jpg

SANY0720.jpg

-Ha, Well I didn't feel like going to the car, so I put it in my car jumper thing. I use this more as a 12v power supply than a car jumper. As you can see, It glows red. Just for fun, I measured the current draw...its only about 15mA. But the package says it charges in 7 hours and lasts 120+ minutes. Havent really tested it. Its probably not regulated or anything, so its hard to believe it will stay that bright for 2 hours.

SANY0722.jpg

-heres a really really crude shot of what the beam might look like. If it was darker out and if I had something to shoot at...it might look beter. Its actually about as bright as a Fenix L2D Rebel 100 on low. I did a ceiling bounce test. It has a little more throw than the Fenix because the lens on the front focuses it to a small spot. The fenix has a lot more side-spill. Keep in mind that the Fenix still blows it outta the water when put on turbo or anyother mode other than low.

I'll try taking a comparison shot between the Fenix and this at night. Let me know if your interested. I just thought it was a cool light because it fits in your car's 12v power port.
So what do you think of this light???

Mugrunty

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see that. I tried a quick search before I posted. I'll have to look harder next time! Thanks for that link though!!

MWClint

Enlightened
Grabbed a silver one today. It's a quality peice. Brighter than expected, will always be charged when needed...and it's quite pocketable too.

Works in my Mustang cigarette lighter port in the center console..but not in the spare 12v accessory port in the dashboard.

i bet if you hit up any junkyard, you can pick up a cig lighter port and replace
the larger non working accessory port with one very easily. Probably a dollar or two for the part...this would probably work for most cars that dont have any ports that work w/the spotlight.

from what i can tell standard 12v car accessories seem to work in both sized ports. so swapping it out wouldnt hurt.

i wonder if an rcr2 will fit in there? ...(obviously you couldnt charge it in
the car 12v port)..but would make a neat mod. and you could adapt a 12v accessory socket and charge the rcr2 direct from a computer usb port with
this single little chip and simple circuit. I think the red led might even shut off
when the chip stops charging the battery.

http://www.analogictech.com/products/digitalfiles/AAT3681.pdf

it would make a great desktop peice.

or simpler... just adapt a 12v line in your computer, cut a hole for a 12v accessory port in your case and plug an unmodified spotlight in. :wave:

Mugrunty

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I had problems fitting this baby into my dad's Honda Odyssey Van. It just fell back out, and the red light never came on. But I tried it on my old Toyota Avalon and my Mom's Toyota Prius, and it worked fine!

Xak

Enlightened
I love mine! It's great if you go somewhere and for get a light it works fairly well. Very handy. Has great throw for such a small light, wish it was floodier, but hey, what do you want for $15 ?

Sometimes I use it for mood lighting when I don't want to light candles, just aim it at the ceiling. I've run mine well over 2 hours that way with NO dimming whatsoever.

They make great gifts.