Nitecore Gold Dragon plus?

SilentK

Enlightened
while recently looking at 4 Sevens site, i noticed that there is a new ex10 and d10 called the gold dragon plus. it says it has a osram LED that is supposed to be energy saving. Does anyone know about this, or if it is any better than the standard one? sounds like something that might be cool.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, what the heck is this? I've never heard of this LED.

Would love to hear more about this!!

The runtimes and output specs are identical, at least for the D10, at this time... Surely there must be some difference?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think McGizmo has used this in some or at least one of his lights. AFAIK it tends to have a more natural tint - a bit more like incandescent I believe. Yauesumofo said some things about it but I forget what all he wrote - probably find more about it in the McGizmo forum. I know he was fairly excited about this particular LED because of the quality of the light from this LED. Not sure about efficiency but hopefully someone who knows more about it will jump in here.

Rob187

Enlightened
I wonder whether the Osram LED will produce a better beam?

I am a bit fan of my D10 but the beam is the one area it needs improvement IMHO....

superflytnt

Enlightened
I remember reading a thread soon after the SPD series release where 4-7's said something about a "new improved" (or something to that effect) version of the lights in the works. Some folks seemed a bit miffed that they hadn't even rec'd their SPD's in the mail yet and here is a new version that everyone's just going to have to have. I'm not too fond of that kind of thing either. Some manufacturers know flashaholics a bit too well and know that many will buy several versions of the same light if they tweak it just a bit. It's one thing to have a new emitter every year or two but 4-7's mentioned this like the middle of July...............:shakehead
I for one will pass

I know I know, nobody's forcing me to buy it :D

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah... ordered a d10. Gotta check out every new LED right? Im not sick.... Im not sick...

thk

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez:

And I just ordered a D10 and it shipped today. I knew there was a reason why I stayed away from this site for awhile. First I read about the UB2, the D10 and now this.

Oh well. Maybe I'll remember to use the CPF discount for once this time around.

daimleramg

Banned
IIRC the golden dragon is a step below the diamond dragon and the diamond dragon is about as efficient as a Cree R2. I dont know how correct that is because my memory isnt a photographic as it used to be.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, same price...same spec`s....I wonder what the differance is. The tint idea might be it...Wish we knew more about this. I was planning to buy one D-10 soon...wonder...

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm guessing it's currently copy/paste placeholder specs, which will be updated later. The Gold Dragon seems to be much less efficient, so I would expect the lumens to go down using the same driver.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading a thread soon after the SPD series release where 4-7's said something about a "new improved" (or something to that effect) version of the lights in the works. Some folks seemed a bit miffed that they hadn't even rec'd their SPD's in the mail yet and here is a new version that everyone's just going to have to have. I'm not too fond of that kind of thing either. Some manufacturers know flashaholics a bit too well and know that many will buy several versions of the same light if they tweak it just a bit. It's one thing to have a new emitter every year or two but 4-7's mentioned this like the middle of July...............:shakehead
I for one will pass

I know I know, nobody's forcing me to buy it :D
Wow, your reading is very thorough, even though you only joined to post this month.

Here's 4Sevens' post:

No way. If you've followed my posts in the past you've read my opinion on Seoul.
Seoul's only advantage is the easily focusable beam. Seoul gets their die's
from Cree anyway. If you read the specs, they are inferior to Cree XRE's
(high thermal resistance - the litmus test of power led's). This mean you can't
drive them as hard and they will not last as long compared to comparable LED's
given the same parameters.

The phenomen of those Seoul's turning blue when driven hard or improperly
heatsinked indicates permanent damage! Anyways why buy a repacked cree
when you can get original cree's?

Anyway, short answer is no. However, just a little hint. Something is in the
works that is neither Cree nor Seoul that performs on par or better than the
Cree XR-E yet has better CRI and has a perfect beam - even better than
seoul lights. I've never seen a smoother beam yet with a tight spot. I have
a pre-production unit as we speak. That is all I will say for now :p

Interestingly, here's a reply from someone who may well have known the future...

Osram Dragon LED? (tight spot, good CRI).
More info please :)...

Would love to see some beam shots...

If everything is as Marduke says, and the Golden Dragon Plus LED is not as efficient as the Q5, I will stick with my Q5 D10s...

superflytnt

Enlightened
Wow, your reading is very thorough, even though you only joined to post this month.
quote]

LOL.........yup, I believe it's called lurking. And here I am at what, 15 posts and not a single welcome. Thanks for the compliment tho...........

nitecore

Newly Enlightened
IIRC the golden dragon is a step below the diamond dragon and the diamond dragon is about as efficient as a Cree R2. I dont know how correct that is because my memory isnt a photographic as it used to be.

Hi, daimleramg
Diamond dragon isn't the same category with golden dragon plus.
Diamond dragon is high power (5W+) LED with comparatively low efficiency(like soul P7,CREE MCE....).
Actually golden dragon plus is comparatively low power(1-3W) with high efficiency. GDP(golden dragon plus) is same effcient with CREE Q5 even R2:devil:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore - you must stop this - you are breaking my wallet :D

This is a very cool development. I'm wondering if lumen output will be about the same level?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, best their cool white can do is 85lm at 350mA, so their Vf (of which I have no idea what is) would have to be significantly lower than most other white LED's for the efficiency to be about the same. I cannot find any Vf specs for the "Plus" series, only the regular "Gold Dragon".