Thread-Locking Product

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Is there a product which is available on the open market that can be used to lock the threads of two pieces of metal being screwed together? For example, if I managed to get the top piece of a SureFire E2E bezel unscrewed, what can I use to put on the threads to secure it after re-screwing it down? I'd prefer a product that I can get un-done by heating the bezel, so I'm looking for something permanant, but not really permanant. Is there such a product?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
absolutely, loc-tite. home depot, lowe's, any hardware store. they have different levels of strength and different applications so check the packaging to make sure you get the right stuff. iirc red loc-tite should do.

what's up with the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif lately nascar?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titen is another brand that I have used... I like the blue

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
You'll need Loc-Tite "blue" (not red)...

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the difference?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will never get the parts apart with RED Loc-Tite. Blue Loc-Tite will keep the parts together against most anything, but can be unlocked with some effort.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, blue you can get apart if you need. red on the other hand........

Tomas

Banned
Definately the blue rather than the red or green. Blue locks the threads, but the lock will break at a reasonable level of force (I don't remember the spec, about 40 foot pounds? Anyone?) and therefore is re-enterable, whereas the red is "permanent" and the green is, well, uh, "totally unreasonable." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tomsig03.gif

EDIT: I found my datasheet on the stuff, and I was way off on the breakaway strength of the Loctite 242 (blue) stuff. It's 110 foot pounds breakaway and it is considered "medium strength" for disassembly using hand tools. That's the stuff you want. Red and green are too tough, purple is a bit weak.

T

Albany Tom

Enlightened
There's also purple! Purple is the small screw stuff, which I've used for screws in guns. It'll lock them in fine, but you can unscrew without wrecking the screws.

I think green is the wicking stuff, so you can use it after you put the stuff together. Most of the others you have to use before you put them together.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also been wondering about this as I want to give away some badboy modded brinkmans and I want to keep them from messing up the pill by overtightening the lense.

My question is how much time do i have after screwing the thing on before it locks? Is it like crazy glue or do I have a few minutes to play with it and get it just right before it glues it tight?

Thanks

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
will loc-tite work on plastic threads such as the kroll?

i'm thinking that purple loctite would make a great seal with the kroll in a mclux or similar light.
blue would probably be too hard for this right?

would it get in the way of the electrical path? i don't have any krolls, but some should be arriving any day now from the sandwhich shop.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
I have also been wondering about this as I want to give away some badboy modded brinkmans and I want to keep them from messing up the pill by overtightening the lense.

My question is how much time do i have after screwing the thing on before it locks? Is it like crazy glue or do I have a few minutes to play with it and get it just right before it glues it tight?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

you've got time, atleast minutes i would think.

i dug out of my box a small bottle of loctite, the bottle is red, the liquid is blue. on the bottle it says medium strength part no. 24206 i've used this on threads and removed them before.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
With the purple, you have a couple of seconds to get it right. It's not as fast as regular superglue, but certainly less than a minute. It's easy to wipe away if you use too much, and doesn't have the instant sticky quality that superglue has.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the surfaces must be completely free of oil or grease, or they won't hold.

The good part is that even the low strength purple won't vibrate loose. It'll hold for years on a gun, and thousands upon thousands of rounds, where without a locking agent some screws back out after a couple of rounds.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
time wouldn't really be a problem...i'm just concerned with a waterproof seal.

it should take what...5 seconds to screw in a kroll? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
Loc-Tite won't bond to the nylon/plastic threads on the kroll. It may also interfer with the contact between the Mag threads and the kroll spring.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I almost always use the red Loctite 262 . The breakaway torque on it is around 400 in/lb. I never have any problem removing something that has been thread locked using Loctite 262. You would definitely need hand tools to remove something you used the 262 on.

About the only time I use the blue Loctite 242 is for tiny screws, like on my glasses. The breakaway torque on it is around 100 in/lb. The 242 would work well on a bezel.

Loctite 425 is for plastic fasteners. The breakaway torque on it is around 40 in/lb.

I edited this to add that when using the 262 make sure the fastener you are using can withstand the torque needed to break the Loctite. Don't use slotted screws or worn Philips or hex key heads. Bolts will break loose with minimal grunting.