LAPD Officer needs a Light!!!

blueknight2000

Newly Enlightened
I am an Los Angeles Police Officer who needs a custom flashlight built. I do not like the "plastic" pelican flashlight that we are forced to carry.

I was hoping someone would be willing to modify my small stinger flashlight (regular head) with an LED bulb(s). I am trying to build a "SHOCK AND AWE" custom light with my stinger body. I need it to be durable enough to knock on doors with it and I prefer more throw than flood (I love my MRV).

I am willing to pay for someone to build this light for me. Thanks everyone for any feedback.

PS- A full jail is a happy jail:)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
try contacting malkoff cuz i remember he made something for the stinger i think also check out the bustacap for a mag you might like it if your into busting things :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Ask Milky to mod your Stinger
+1

Milky Mods are awesome:D

You will need to have a light to use while the Stinger is away for the mod ... Milky can give you some idea of the time required ... probably six to eight weeks?

Well worth the wait:D

dougie

Enlightened
Before you are inundated with suggestions it may help to discuss what level of light you want for the 'wow' factor? The current 2 cell Cree LEDS's can provide 220 to 240 lumen range but need excellent heat sinking to be regarded as reliable if they are to be used for anything more than a few minutes run time.

The criteria of a 'knocking on door light' suggests you value reliability as a necessary attribute? I personally would favor the less complicated and proven existing LED modifications rather than an untried custom build?

Have you seen of had any experience of the Fenix T10 or T11? Alternatively have you seen a Malkoff M60 drop-in in a Surefire ? These are considered to be some of the best 2 cell LED's currently favored by LEO's and do have a limited 'wow' factor compared to many of the existing LED or incandescent flashlights. However, if you are not worried about carrying a 3 cell Maglite C or D there are a few P7 LED makers who will put one together for you. I think Electrolumens does one for about approximately $140. The P7 would certainly have a 'wow' factor!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
if you are not worried about carrying a 3 cell Maglite C or D there are a few P7 LED makers who will put one together for you.
Mac is currently doing a run of P7 lights, powered by one AW C-cell LiIon. 800 lumens & over an hour run time in a small package for $250 (base price + any options you add). Serious WOW factor:D Five remaining & then it's over.

IMG_0991-vi.jpg

have you seen a Malkoff M60 drop-in in a Surefire ? These are considered to be some of the best 2 cell LED's currently favored by LEO's
The best $100 you can spend for a mid-power (240 bulb lumen) light. Add a 2-level switch from Sandwich Shoppe that gives a close up, low level output (reading drivers license, etc.)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen of had any experience of the Fenix T10 or T11? Alternatively have you seen a Malkoff M60 drop-in in a Surefire ? These are considered to be some of the best 2 cell LED's currently favored by LEO's and do have a limited 'wow' factor compared to many of the existing LED or incandescent flashlights.

None of those will even come close to touching the 7060 for throw.

I'm not really sure what there is to dislike about the 7060, unless somebody's planning a Rodney King redux.

P.S. is an overcrowded jail an ecstatic jail?

Nick2cd

Newly Enlightened
I think your best bet is to get a surefire 6p and get a malkolf led drop in module (or deal extreme sku 11836 drop in if you want to keep costs down.) This project can be done for $60-$100 depending on which drop in module you get. You'll get in the ballpark of 200 lumens with either option. Pretty good wow factor for such a small package (especially to non-flashaholics). Plus you get the reliability and durability of the tried and true surefire design.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your best bet is to get a surefire 6p and get a malkolf led drop in module (or deal extreme sku 11836 drop in if you want to keep costs down.) This project can be done for $60-$100 depending on which drop in module you get. You'll get in the ballpark of 200 lumens with either option. Pretty good wow factor for such a small package (especially to non-flashaholics). Plus you get the reliability and durability of the tried and true surefire design.

I hate this argument. Because it's blatantly false. If you get a 11836 dropin you're a fool to believe that you have Surefire quality. The tube that holds the battery and dropin is of little consequence if the dropin itself fails.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an Los Angeles Police Officer who needs a custom flashlight built. I do not like the "plastic" pelican flashlight that we are forced to carry.

I was hoping someone would be willing to modify my small stinger flashlight (regular head) with an LED bulb(s). I am trying to build a "SHOCK AND AWE" custom light with my stinger body. I need it to be durable enough to knock on doors with it and I prefer more throw than flood (I love my MRV).

I am willing to pay for someone to build this light for me. Thanks everyone for any feedback.

PS- A full jail is a happy jail:)

Why not just get one of the new Stinger DS led lights. Same size as the Stinger. New brighter led, 2 switches similar to the Pelican 7060 but the Stinger DS led has a dimming option and a strobe option. You can also use the same charger.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
You could wait for the new Pelican 8060 to come out. It looks more substantial than the 7060.

Nick2cd

Newly Enlightened
I hate this argument. Because it's blatantly false. If you get a 11836 dropin you're a fool to believe that you have Surefire quality. The tube that holds the battery and dropin is of little consequence if the dropin itself fails.

I agree with you completely. I was just trying to provide him with a more cost effective option than the Malkoff drop in (which i belive to be pretty reliable). Realistically, the best bet is to wait for the surefire invictus or optimus.

tzzoooma

Newly Enlightened
I need it to be durable enough to knock on doors with it and I prefer more throw than flood (I love my MRV).

Dumb question:

Why would you knock on a door with a metal device that could damage it? Why not use your fist? I'd be pretty pissed at said officer if he left dents on my door with a flashlight!

dougie

Enlightened
I am aware of cheaper drop-ins than a Malkoff M60 and would have considered suggesting a cheaper drop-in except that the op stated he wanted something suitable to knock on doors. Whilst I don't take that to be a literal statement I interpreted that as meaning tough enough for the rigors of LEO work. Malkoff's 'M' line of drop-ins have been around for quite sometime . According to my last invoice they appear to have sold over seven hundred units (if not more) and I've never read anywhere of premature failure or other reliability issues with them. As reliability is important to me in my work and essential for an LEO I wouldn't recommend anything which didn't have an excellent reputation. Part of the design of a good drop-in takes into account of how thermal degradation could or might affect the LED. No other drop-in I've seen has as a good a heat sink as Gene's designs. Reliability is therefore likely to be substantially better with a Malkoff than with a cheaper module? :D

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac is currently doing a run of P7 lights, powered by one AW C-cell LiIon. 800 lumens & over an hour run time in a small package for $250 (base price + any options you add). Serious WOW factor:D Five remaining & then it's over.

The best $100 you can spend for a mid-power (240 bulb lumen) light. Add a 2-level switch from Sandwich Shoppe that gives a close up, low level output (reading drivers license, etc.)

Yep - Mac's work (CPF member cmacclel ) is very high quality for sure and 'wow' factor too.

Malkoff drop ins are also very high quality and high reliability. I think someone may be confusing these with all the cheap ones that are available.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I had a stinger but got rid of it, get a Surefire 6p and drop in a Malkoff M60 you won't be disappointed.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have a Lumapower MRV, try their MVP at
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-mvp-flashlight-3xled.html

700 lumens on high, 250 on medium, 50 on low, and a real tactical strobe. It is hard anodized and made of T7 aluminum. $200. I think it's about the brightest l.e.d. light you're going to get with any type of throw. P7 lights will be all flood and so will Cree MC-E lights. Each Cree Q5 l.e.d. has it's own reflector. I think the MVP is really your best option. It's the brightest for it's size, has multiple battery options including rechargeable, should be at least as tough as a Surefire light (Surefires don't even use the tougher T7 aluminum), and is probably the best bang for the buck light on the market for your needs.