I miss my novatac....

tempman

Newly Enlightened
I sold my novatac 85p so that I could get the nitecore ex10. I made a mistake. After being spoiled with the user interface of the novatac, and its programable options, I now feel so "back to basic" with the non-programable nitecore. Each has its own pros and cons though.....

EX-10 pros...

Smaller size

More output of light

Easier to hand to someone to use, without them wondering why your "awesome flashlight" is only puting out .3 lumens (my preference for primary mode) whenever they click it on and off

Cheaper (wont kick self in head if lost)

EX-10 cons...

Piston drive has poor tactile (NOT TACTICAL) feedback

Non-programable

Lowest low is still not low enough for nightstand hunting or checking under movie theater seats for dropped phones and such

Novatac 85p pros.

4 progamable modes

really low lowest mode is big plus for me

Beam pattern is cream of the crop

Water resistance is top notch

USA made

User interface is easy to use and learn

Novatac 85p cons...

A tad too big for pocket carry

anodizing is uneven on almost every one ive seen

not as bright as the ex10 (even though it is capable of it)

thats about it.

in conclusion.... MUST GET RA CLICKY

veleno

Enlightened
I sold my novatac 85p so that I could get the nitecore ex10.

Bad idea... :shakehead

I did exactly the contrary, I sold the EX-10 to buy a Novatac 120E.

I like these new Nitecore, but honestly I don't understand all the enthusiasm about them... :sssh:

in conclusion.... MUST GET RA CLICKY

:twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well when we learn from our mistakes, we usually learn it very well. So now you can see/understand the NovaTac in a deeper and more detailed way.

As you point out the timing is not bad, you can sell the Nitecore while it's hot and get another NovaTac, or wait and try your luck with a Ra Clicky. I love my NovaTac (I have two spares), but I'll be picking up a Ra Clicky at some point. I'd like to buy one with an 18650 battery tube, I don't need to buy it with the standard tube and then get the 18650 tube later. I'd like to save a little money at just get it stock with an 18650 tube. I think I will also try the Tr-Twisty because I've always wanted this combination, but I'm not so crazy about the programming interface of the light, and with low red it should of had 4 levels rather than 3.

I love trying different lights, but it's good to have a light that really works. The NovaTac is designed, most of the others are assembled.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like these new Nitecore, but honestly I don't understand all the enthusiasm about them... :sssh:
Well, the enthusiasm is for those of us who can't afford a light 2-3 times as expensive as the Novatacs and other lights, but still get a light that is almost as good in quality and use.

Hope this thread doesn't turn into a Smart PD vs Novatac, like the old Fenix vs SureFire threads.

When you have such a major difference in price, no doubt some are going to prefer the more expensive product, which has better features / functions. The fact that the EX10 even is mentioned in the same breath as the Novatacs shows how great the light is. :thumbsup:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't blame you. Despite the NovaTac programmable UI requiring a manual to learn, once you know it the light is superb. I really find it versatile; true I don't use more than 50% of what it offers, but it's nice to have that functionality in reserve. Plus, the RANGE OF USABLE LIGHT is a delight. The clicky works extremely well--silent but tactile.

Incidentally, you mentioned the RA Clicky. I looked at their website and I'm just wondering why people are so hot on them; given the opportunity to get a NovaTac 120P at around $135 shipped, the equivalent powered RA Clicky is about $100 more. I can see it if the user plans to take it into extreme conditions fairly often. Otherwise, isn't it overkill? Or am I missing something compelling?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
...EX-10 cons...

Piston drive has poor tactile (NOT TACTICAL) feedback

Non-programable

Lowest low is still not low enough for nightstand hunting or checking under movie theater seats for dropped phones and such

The piston feedback has been addressed many many times here, so it's not a mystery. Nor is the mystery that this light is not programmable. If you didn't know either of those things before selling your programmable Novatac light to buy the EX10, well, shame on you. :thinking:

With regards to the low not being low enough to checking under movie theater seats, I don't know what you're talking about. It's the lowest light I have, and perfectly suited for doing these tasks. Are you worried someone with infrared will pick you out doing these tasks out in the theater and tell you to stop that?? I've used my D10 on low to do many such things in theaters and dark rooms, and no one has ever said anything, nor have I felt that I was interfering with other people's enjoyment of the movie when I do this. :candle:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really a mistake - now you have experienced both lights and can appreciate the qualites of each one. Now you just need to work some OT so you can .... follow the flashaholics motto .. "Buy both of them" :D

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really a mistake - now you have experienced both lights and can appreciate the qualites of each one. Now you just need to work some OT so you can .... follow the flashaholics motto .. "Buy both of them" :D
agree 100%. Or better yet, don't sell the more expensive light to buy a cheaper light. Play with the cheaper light first, and decide if you want to keep it or not.

It may be okay to sell a cheaper light to buy a more expensive light, but it's probably more prudent to keep a more expensive light while trying out a cheaper light.

But the EX10/D10 lights are amazing lights for those of us who can't afford the more expensive lights. I love these lights and can't praise them enough.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incidentally, you mentioned the RA Clicky. I looked at their website and I'm just wondering why people are so hot on them; given the opportunity to get a NovaTac 120P at around $135 shipped, the equivalent powered RA Clicky is about $100 more. I can see it if the user plans to take it into extreme conditions fairly often. Otherwise, isn't it overkill? Or am I missing something compelling?
There are a number of good deals on the 120P available right now, but its list price is still $189, and there's no guarantee those deals will continue.

I like my 120P a lot, but it's a little flaky. Given the option to buy another 120P or a RA-120-C, I'd happily pay the difference for an updated (and presumably less buggy) UI.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Novatac 85p cons...

A tad too big for pocket carry

For me that Con is a Pro and ultimately was the deal maker for me getting a 120P, namely that the Novatac EDCs are SF filter compatible. I wanted the choice of using either a diffuser or a nice deep red filter to compliment the user programmable light levels. A great combination. :twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... given the opportunity to get a NovaTac 120P at around $135 shipped, the equivalent powered RA Clicky is about $100 more. I can see it if the user plans to take it into extreme conditions fairly often. Otherwise, isn't it overkill? Or am I missing something compelling?

Since I'm not really that hard on my lights I don't see a compelling reason to get a Ra Clicky personally. I liked the Red Option of the Twisty it would have been nice with 4 output levels of the Clicky, but since that option is not available right now I see only a couple of personal reasons for the Clickly. First, the design/shape of the light migh make it more ergonomic for handling. Second, the option of a tube for a good 18650 power source. The unknown question is the changes to the UI, could it improve on the NovaTac?

While hardly compelling, of all these reasons the 18650 is the one right now that might make me buy the light sooner rather than later. I will wait for reviews however; I'm not in a hurry. I'll likely pick up a Tr Twisty first because of the Red option. I don't need these lights, it's clearly a issue of want.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
The piston feedback has been addressed many many times here, so it's not a mystery. Nor is the mystery that this light is not programmable. If you didn't know either of those things before selling your programmable Novatac light to buy the EX10, well, shame on you. :thinking:

With regards to the low not being low enough to checking under movie theater seats, I don't know what you're talking about. It's the lowest light I have, and perfectly suited for doing these tasks. Are you worried someone with infrared will pick you out doing these tasks out in the theater and tell you to stop that?? I've used my D10 on low to do many such things in theaters and dark rooms, and no one has ever said anything, nor have I felt that I was interfering with other people's enjoyment of the movie when I do this. :candle:

Ledholic,

I was aware of the way the Piston mechanism works and feels before purchasing the ex10. Excuse me for voicing my opinion on the way it feels to me and how I feel about that. Same with the non-programable UI. I was just contributing to the pro/con list I was making. Shame on me:thinking:? There are plenty of other things I do that should bring shame upon myself that I shall keep to myself. Allegedly not researching flashlight data before buying is far from shameful.

As far as the low not being low enough, In the middle of the night, the ex-10 is too much for me, my cats, my dog, and my wifes eyes, so the novatacs low was ideal. In a movie theater, I hate seeing peoples cell phone screens in front of me all the time, so why would anyone want to see me flashing the ex-10 low mode (which is way brighter than a cell phone screen)? I was aware of this as well, but I just compensate by simply covering the lense with fingers. Not a big deal, but would still like a lower level. If the ex-10 has the lowest low of all your lights, then I assume you don't have any HDS,novatac, or Ra lights in your collection. Jealous maybe? Perhaps that is why you come off as defensive in my ex-10 con list....

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ledholic,

I was aware of the way the Piston mechanism works and feels before purchasing the ex10. Excuse me for voicing my opinion on the way it feels to me and how I feel about that. Same with the non-programable UI. I was just contributing to the pro/con list I was making. Shame on me:thinking:? There are plenty of other things I do that should bring shame upon myself that I shall keep to myself. Allegedly not researching flashlight data before buying is far from shameful.

As far as the low not being low enough, In the middle of the night, the ex-10 is too much for me, my cats, my dog, and my wifes eyes, so the novatacs low was ideal. In a movie theater, I hate seeing peoples cell phone screens in front of me all the time, so why would anyone want to see me flashing the ex-10 low mode (which is way brighter than a cell phone screen)? I was aware of this as well, but I just compensate by simply covering the lense with fingers. Not a big deal, but would still like a lower level. If the ex-10 has the lowest low of all your lights, then I assume you don't have any HDS,novatac, or Ra lights in your collection. Jealous maybe? Perhaps that is why you come off as defensive in my ex-10 con list....
You're right, I don't have any HDS, Novatac, or Ra lights to compare to.

But I don't know, spending twice the amount of money on a light, and then starting a thread bemoaning that a light that cost half as much doesn't meet the same expectations as the more expensive light seems a bit odd to me.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think of the PD design, it doesn't rub me as a tactical button of sorts, rather a bonus that compliments the fact that its a twisty before anything else. While some prefer brightness over UI, simple UI cannot be compromised for the newest LED. As for NT vs. HDS, The new RA series may be just as programable as a 85P, but it's exterior is one tough cookie in comparison.

Mayo

m16a

Enlightened
I don't blame you. Despite the NovaTac programmable UI requiring a manual to learn, once you know it the light is superb. I really find it versatile; true I don't use more than 50% of what it offers, but it's nice to have that functionality in reserve. Plus, the RANGE OF USABLE LIGHT is a delight. The clicky works extremely well--silent but tactile.

Au contraire mein herr:)laughing:)

The light will be a refinement of all the problems that the 120P suffered from(not many, its just more refined), it will have reverse battery protection(accidents won't break the light or the battery), also, the light will have a tactical burst, the 100 being able to burst to 141 lumens, and the 120 will be able to burst up to 171 lumens. So yes, you are missing something very compelling:grin2:

Enjoy,

M16a

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
I'm just wondering why people are so hot on them; given the opportunity to get a NovaTac 120P at around $135 shipped, the equivalent powered RA Clicky is about $100 more. I can see it if the user plans to take it into extreme conditions fairly often. Otherwise, isn't it overkill? Or am I missing something compelling?
First off, since the 120P seems to have a tendency to fall a little short of the 120lm claim, the equivalent Clicky would more likely be the 100C (direct comparisons between a 120P and 100Tw confirm that they're very close). So the difference is only about $50 right now. From there, as with pretty much anything, it's a matter of priorities and diminishing returns. If you just want a very good and versatile light that can be programmed to your usage and you want it at an affordable price, the NovaTac is still a great choice. But if you're looking for something that's more than just good enough to do the job, something that gets just a little bit closer to perfection, it's going to cost a whole lot more. The most significant basic difference in use is probably that the Clicky will run for twice as long at a similar level. For some people, that alone is enough to justify the price increase. Add to that the more subtle improvements—such as the flatter regulation, added toughness, ability to burst to significantly higher output, more accurately calibrated levels, seemingly more consistent tints (even without paying for the GT option), more ergonomic design for those with large hands, etc.—and you have a light that is going to really excite most of those who love the EDC design but still want a little more advanced and polished take on it. And that's not even getting into such intangibles as pride of ownership. A lot of us are not at all happy with how NovaTac has conducted their business and would prefer not to reward them with further support. Henry, on the other hand, is one of the true gentlemen of the flashlight industry; much more deserving of our support, if we can afford to take such things into consideration when making our buying decisions.

I've owned a 120P since it came out and I love it, it's the most versatile light I've ever owned and I have no intention of ever parting with it. However, I've ordered a 120Cgt to replace it and, for all the reasons above, I'm willing to pay that extra $140 (over what I paid for the NT). Some can't justify the higher price and that's fine too, they'll still get a great light at what has become a very good price. Both lights definitely have compelling reasons to buy; whether or not you, personally, are compelled towards one over the other is just a matter of your own personal priorities, desires, preferences, and financial bottom line.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
First off, since the 120P seems to have a tendency to fall a little short of the 120lm claim, the equivalent Clicky would more likely be the 100C (direct comparisons between a 120P and 100Tw confirm that they're very close). So the difference is only about $50 right now. From there, as with pretty much anything, it's a matter of priorities and diminishing returns. If you just want a very good and versatile light that can be programmed to your usage and you want it at an affordable price, the NovaTac is still a great choice. But if you're looking for something that's more than just good enough to do the job, something that gets just a little bit closer to perfection, it's going to cost a whole lot more. The most significant basic difference in use is probably that the Clicky will run for twice as long at a similar level. For some people, that alone is enough to justify the price increase. Add to that the more subtle improvements—such as the flatter regulation, added toughness, ability to burst to significantly higher output, more accurately calibrated levels, seemingly more consistent tints (even without paying for the GT option), more ergonomic design for those with large hands, etc.—and you have a light that is going to really excite most of those who love the EDC design but still want a little more advanced and polished take on it. And that's not even getting into such intangibles as pride of ownership. A lot of us are not at all happy with how NovaTac has conducted their business and would prefer not to reward them with further support. Henry, on the other hand, is one of the true gentlemen of the flashlight industry; much more deserving of our support, if we can afford to take such things into consideration when making our buying decisions.

I've owned a 120P since it came out and I love it, it's the most versatile light I've ever owned and I have no intention of ever parting with it. However, I've ordered a 120Cgt to replace it and, for all the reasons above, I'm willing to pay that extra $140 (over what I paid for the NT). Some can't justify the higher price and that's fine too, they'll still get a great light at what has become a very good price. Both lights definitely have compelling reasons to buy; whether or not you, personally, are compelled towards one over the other is just a matter of your own personal priorities, desires, preferences, and financial bottom line.

+1, perfectly put, sir!

I was intending to wait until I'd read a few reviews before pulling the trigger on a purchase, but think I might just head over to battery station and order one now!

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
+1, perfectly put, sir!

I was intending to wait until I'd read a few reviews before pulling the trigger on a purchase, but think I might just head over to battery station and order one now!
Thank you. And I agree on the pre-ordering; normally I think it's best to be patient and wait for actual reviews, but this is kind of a special case. Both of the EDCs I own are excellent, they're the two nicest lights I own overall, each is the best light I have in some ways (HDS is most perfectly constructed and has nicest beam, NT is by far the most versatile), and the one Ra I've seen has the same incredible feeling of quality as the original EDCs. I've learned to have complete faith in Henry, so in this case I have no problem with ordering the Clicky before all the details have even been revealed. We know Henry, we know what kind of lights he designs and how much care he puts into the details, and we know they'll be good.