Why is the RAID Fire spear expensive

Albinoni

Banned
I quite like this torch but sometimes I can's justify the cost being over $100 for this light when there's probably lights out there in its class that are just as good and probably cheaper. Dont get me wrong I think the Spear is probably one of the best throwers out there, but there are other just as good and cheaper. So do you think the Raidfire Spear is worth what it is.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is only one other light in its class. The Dereelight DBS. And both are comperable in price.
You can step down half a notch in the throw and go with a Lumapower MRV or a Tiablo A8/9. The MRV is about the same price. You can sometimes find the Tiable a bit cheaper but in general it is also in that $100-ish price range.

For a bit less money and coperable throw in a different class you can get a Malkoff dropin for a M@g. a 3C or 3D mag will throw very well with a Malkoff for less money than a dedicated superthrower... at the cost of being a bigger package.

Another pure throw option that will be perhaps a few bucks cheaper than a Malkoff would be a Kai Domaon aspheric M@g kit. Again bigger size and you're stuck with a large wait.

In the end is a superthrower worth the money? Probibly not. Most people don't have any practical use for one. I rarely ever have a need for my DBS. But I still love mine.:D

Citivolus

Enlightened
I love my Spear when I want extreme throw. I live in a housing development that is about half built out, so I end up pulling out this light to check out noises from a few blocks away in the middle of the night, especially when I want people to know that they are being watched. More than once this light has chased off would-be thieves at 2:00am. They don't hang around for long when their vehicle gets lit up from a distance :)

YMMV, as we don't have some of the same weapons problems here as some of the places that I've lived. If the person was likely to pull out a gun, I might try to be a bit more covert.

Regards,
Eric

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
I quite like this torch but sometimes I can's justify the cost being over $100 for this light when there's probably lights out there in its class that are just as good and probably cheaper. Dont get me wrong I think the Spear is probably one of the best throwers out there, but there are other just as good and cheaper. So do you think the Raidfire Spear is worth what it is.
Too bad you missed the opportunity to get one for $70-80 (with shipping) back in November-December.

I like my Spear, but the exposed opening on bezel makes it so I do not really want to use it where it could get dirty.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Just looking at the thing you can see a lot of machining work goes into that cool looking business end. I think it's price tag is very reasonable considering how much more work must be going into the design compared with the competitors in this class.

limecc

Newly Enlightened
You get what you pay for.

I am a Raidfire owner and have also purchased many budget lights including P7's and MRV clones as gifts or on behalf of others.

The Spear is an absolute delight to own and use. I took a risk at the time and took advantage of the pre-order offer direct from Edgetac, but if I were buying now, and the choice was between the Cheapo, Raidfire or the DBS, I would choose the DBS because of the future upgrade paths. I am hopeful that Edgetac will offer the same when the time comes.

LED's and drivers are constantly advancing in terms of output and efficiency, and the DBS will actually save you money in the long run compared to the cheapies, when you can upgrade simply by purchasing a drop-in module instead of the whole torch. If you drop it and damage the lense or reflector, likewise a repair is cheaply made.

These companies offer after sales that are second to none. Compare this: The budget offerings may be work unreliably - if at all, have numerous sharp edges and poor anodising, rough threads with metal swarf, fingerprints on the reflectors etc, with no warranty except to send it back at your expense for a refund to DX or the Ebay seller.

Sometimes it nice not to make-do with second best. The cheap imitations have their place and can impress, but in my opinion, no one would ever regret buying either of the top two throwers.