• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired **Now Shipping** Moby **** quad-P7 heatsinks custom engraved

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
**Shipped** Moby **** quad-P7 heatsinks custom engraved

EDIT 10/12/08:

Sinks are in and shipping. Here are pics of Ghost Reaction's and Glock 18's:

dsc1512jz7.jpg

dsc1513wk2.jpg

PMs have been sent, albeit with some hiccups from the new server move. If you are on the list and have not received a PM, please let me know. And if you have changed your mind, no problem. But please do let me know so I can pass the sink along to the next interested party without undue delay.

Original Post:
I'm making a run of Moby **** heatsinks for the FM3" heads designed for a quad-P7/McR27XR build.

dsc1385bh8.jpg

I built a light with a prototype of the sink, full info is here. I suggest reading the entire thread before deciding if this interests you.

An easier build than the one linked would be in the Ellie II tube (4 cell), running DD with a D2DIM. The rear of the sink has stepped pockets sized for a couple boards including the D2DIM. I'll detail specifics of an assembly technique that doesn't twist wires later, but for now I'm focusing on making the sinks in the proper numbers.

The sinks will be HA black for electrical isolation.

As a bonus I can offer engraving of the sinks around the perimeter between the reflectors. The number of letters is limited, perhaps 7, but I think two lines are possible as well. I'd like to keep it simple, so no love letters please.

This thread is for loose sinks only. Turn-key lights will also be available, with Mac handling the majority of those. If you want a turn-key light with custom engraving, that should be possible. Just post interest here for the sink to start, and I'll work out the details later.

No payment is necessary, but please honor your interest especially if personalized with engraving.

Price is not yet finalized, some depends on quantity, some on the anodizing. I estimate $100 - $110 plus shipping including engraving.

I will be making some extras with the standard "LED ZEP" engraving, so if you're unsure at this moment you could later purchase one of those.

Sinks to fit the original Ellie heads are also offerred, please specify. Original Ellie and FM3H/V-2 head sinks are not compatible.

Sinks are being cut now, so time is of the essence. I will try to leave this open through this weekend, 8/24, but I don't want to hold up the shop if they finish them sooner. Hopefully the machining is completed in a week, then deburring and off to the anodizer. From there it's impossible to nail down a time frame, but I'm guessing 4 - 6 weeks from now for the finished product.

No PM is necessary - just post interest here along with desired engraving and head style (original Ellie or "-2").

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interest thread for Moby **** quad-P7 heatsinks

Interest List:

1. starfiretoo, "Black" + "Swan", -2 head, shipped 10/14
2. starfiretoo, "SF2", -2 head, shipped 10/14
3. GhostReactor, "Ghost" + "Reactor", -2 head, hold for build
4. monkeyboy, no engraving, -2 head, shipped 10/14
5. Wok, no engraving, -2 head, shipped 10/14
6. GLOCK18, "GLOCK18", -2 head, turn-key w/ host provided, hold for build, shipped 11/5
7. Chodes, "LED" + "ZEP", -2 head, shipped 10/14
8. Plasmaman, not yet specified, default is "LED" + "ZEP", -2 head, shipped 10/14
9. Bullet Bob, plain, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipped 10/12
10. Shakeylegs, "Shakey" + "Legs", -2 head, shipped 10/14
11. Hamster, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipped 10/14
12. Petrev, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipped 10/14
13. Zoran, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipped 10/14
14. rolltide, plain or LZ, -2 head, hold for build, **
15. william lafferty, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipped 10/14

Pending availability:
16. ming560, plain or LZ, -2 head, shipping 10/14

Interest list for DSWOJ P7 LEDs:
(Only for buyers of a sink, passed along at cost)
- Petrev, 4, shipped 10/14
- Zoran, 4, shipped 10/14
- Chodes, 4, shipped 10/14
- william lafferty, 4, shipped 10/14

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interest thread for Moby **** quad-P7 heatsinks custom engraved

Wok, please check my list, I have you down for one sink to fit the original Ellie head, not the "-2" series, no engraving.

GLOCK18

Enlightened

I'm in for 1 with GLOCK18 engraving for the FM3V-2 head, I would be interested in turn-key light with my ELEPHANT II host.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plain style (no engraving) will do for me. I'll be using FM3V-2 head and Elephant II body.

thanks

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like one heatsink for -2 Head.
"LED ZEP" engraving Ok for me.

I noticed you said these would be available later , but I don't want to miss out :mecry:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like one heatsink for -2 Head.
"LED ZEP" engraving Ok for me.

I noticed you said these would be available later , but I don't want to miss out :mecry:

Thanks for the interest Chodes,

I will have a very limited number of extras, but it's a good idea to post interest anyway so I can better estimate the number to run.

List has been updated.

Wok

Newly Enlightened

Hi LED,

I have a FM3H-2 head...not the Ellie.
Sorry should have been more specific.

GLOCK18

Enlightened

Does the engraving come after the anodizing; I'm wonder if the engraving will show up being black.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the engraving come after the anodizing; I'm wonder if the engraving will show up being black.

Glock18, the engraving comes before the ano, so it will be black and discrete. If you want it to stand out, you could fill it with paint or glow epoxy. Engraving after the ano is not possible, at least without more setup fees and additional cost. Also, the HA is quite brittle and milling will probably leave a chipped edge.

Filling with paint would be rather easy if you have some moddelling skills and a steady hand. Use a quality tiny brush, thin the paint a lot, and dab into the valleys. The paint will flow and fill by itself. Let dry and repeat until the color is solid.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glock18,

I think the glow epoxy can be done relatively easily as well. My thought is to mix up the epoxy, and use a plastic spreader or credit card to force the epoxy into the engraving, much like spreading bondo. Let it set up, then use a new straight-edge razor to shave off the excess. Any remaining residue could be cleaned off by scraping carefully or perhaps using an eraser.

I plan on deburring the sinks myself before anodizing, which will include progressive wet-sanding of the face ending with 600 grit. This should give a nice cosmetic finish, and make the above method easier with a flat, smooth surface. The stock finish is a single-pass fly cut, which is pretty cool too, but I'm guessing everyone will want them wet-sanded. If anyone prefers the fly cut micro grooving, let me know.

I'll experiment with the glow epoxy on one of my sinks, and if it's not too time consuming and yields the desired result, it might be an option at a nominal additional charge.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plasmaman added, details not yet specified. Default is LED ZEP engraving, -2 head.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up a few heatsinks that were finished today, and got a head start deburring and wet-sanding the faces.

Here's Ghost Reactor's ready for HA:

dsc1413lp6.jpg

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

McR27XR reflectors are my final hurdle now.
Sandwich shoppe has zero stock. Any other sources?

Bullet Bob

Enlightened

I'm in for one. Just tell me where and how much to send. Plain is fine. for FM 3 head.

Latest posts