10W HID Mag mod

Britelumens

Enlightened
Hi,

A Mag sleeper mod

-Welch Allyn 10W HID bulb ( non envelope )
-Welch Allyn 10W ballast
-Modified FM 2 inch deep SMO reflector
-Premium FM 3 x 17670 battery holder
-UCL lens
-Tri-bored host
-Host approximately 1.5D

mhidb.jpg

CONTROL SHOTS
s0.jpg

BEAMSHOT @ app 130 meters (426 ft) grass patch with half skyline
s1.jpg

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

Last edited:

Britelumens

Enlightened
How do you feel this compares against P7?

Hi Packhorse,

I don't thing they can be compare as both are really different light in all as they produces different beam type. The P7 is really a great emitter for the "everyday" use as they offer good average throw with very usable flood.

As for the HID bulb, nothing out there can beat its intense beam throw if you are looking into that area.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this light Britelumens. Its all about throw form me. I was just sitting here thinking of new ways to squeeze a little more out of my lights, and this may just do the trick. What is your runtime with this light? And could you maybe post a direct link for the bulb and balast. I'm having a bit of trouble navigating the WA website. Thanks.

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Here is a link to the 10W bulb and stuff from WA website:

http://www.walamps.com/lpd/files/datasheets/MC3705RevB_10watt.pdf

If you buy online from them looks like $79.00 for the ballast and $129.00 for an MR11 bulb with 6 deg.

However, after so looking around, many bike riders and divers use this WA system. Batteryspace.com has a replacement bulb and ballast which I believe is the WA stuff. It says it is for a Trail-Tech13W MR11 Eclipse HID. Here is the link.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2689

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2204

Bob E.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bob,
Aslo way to go finding the alternative source. This whole "HID" setup is still a bit unfamiliar to me, I think I am getting the idea now though. Seeing the parts always seems to help me get a feel for it. I may go down to the electrical supply store in town and see what they have to offer for bulbs and parts.

Britelumens. Do you have an educated guss how many lumens this light is? Also I would like to know what your runtime is?

BVH

Flashaholic
WA 10 Watt systems are always about 500 bulb Lumens. If you choose to overdrive it a bit (non-regulated ballast) you might get another 100 Lumens.

Britelumens

Enlightened
Thanks Bob,
Aslo way to go finding the alternative source. This whole "HID" setup is still a bit unfamiliar to me, I think I am getting the idea now though. Seeing the parts always seems to help me get a feel for it. I may go down to the electrical supply store in town and see what they have to offer for bulbs and parts.

Britelumens. Do you have an educated guss how many lumens this light is? Also I would like to know what your runtime is?

Hi vestureofblood,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, sometime it takes a little patient to navigate Welch Allyn site due to their extensive products.

He said it's approximately 40 minutes.

WA 10 Watt systems are always about 500 bulb Lumens. If you choose to overdrive it a bit (non-regulated ballast) you might get another 100 Lumens.

Thank you guys! :thumbsup:

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
So even though the P7s are rated for higher lumens, the tighter beam of the HIDs enables it to throw further than the P7s? I was going to do a tri-P7 setup, but now this HID stuff has got me curious.

Britelumens

Enlightened
So even though the P7s are rated for higher lumens, the tighter beam of the HIDs enables it to throw further than the P7s? I was going to do a tri-P7 setup, but now this HID stuff has got me curious.

Hi GSteg,

Nothing beat a HID bulb in term of throw if you compare it without any enhancement to light other light source.

With regards,
Jo @ Britelumens

SafetyBob

Enlightened
So what part number was the bulb you used. It looks beautiful in that FM reflector. I couldn't makes heads or tails at the WA website. A couple others had good info (particularly the Dive forums), but you are right, the WA website is miserable to surf.....

Bob E.