Best Water-Proof Coating?

ahx66

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a coating to waterproof a circuit board with 5 mm and 10 mm LEDs. It should be thin enough to flow inbetween the LED's and on the back of the board and cover the metal parts so during a rain ride the water wont form droplets between electric contacts.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cheap solution would be Plasti-Dip, which was designed to coat tool handles. I've used it to coat circuit boards for my bicycle before,. Use multiple thin coats, and reapply after a few years.

The "best" coating is going to be expensive. Conformal coating is relatively effective, but I've never seen it used with the belief that the board would be waterproof. The best results come from multiple thin applications of conformal coat.

There is a treatment called "parylene"...
http://www.parylene.com/index.html
It's amazingly effective, based on some tests I've run, but it's not something you can apply at home.

Encapsulants and potting compounds are typical ways to make a board waterproof. It's more bulky, and not cheap.

The most practical method might be a fairly waterproof housing combined with appropriate application of conformal coat.

Steve K.

ahx66

Newly Enlightened
The website you mentioned seems like a premium service for businesses--boards with really small parts. But that definitely gives a good idea of what to search for (or call these materials)

I found something called "Liquid Tape" in the category of electronics coatings.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website you mentioned seems like a premium service for businesses--boards with really small parts. But that definitely gives a good idea of what to search for (or call these materials)

I found something called "Liquid Tape" in the category of electronics coatings.

I think Liquid Tape is similar to Plasti-Dip. Check Plasti-Dip's web site... it should have some info on the assorted product variations.

Plasti-Dip is available at most hardware stores. It's not too expensive, and may be worth buying just to see what it's good for. Last time I checked, it was cheaper than a can of spray-on conformal coat.

Steve