BLT Question

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all places I'm going to be asking this on a flashlight forum, but here it goes, lol.

Recently I've been eating a lot of BLT's. This morning I ate one on toasted sliced wheat bread (ok make that two, they're so darn good), and when I bit into it the toasted bread scraped the top and bottom of my mouth. I was so hungry I didn't care and I kept eating, but by the time I was done I had a ton of little cuts in my mouth.:eeksign: It acted as a kind of sandpaper/abrasive material, cutting into my skin with each bite. I took smaller bites towards the end, but it didn't help much.:p

My question is, is there a safe way to eat a BLT (or toasted bread sandwiches) without getting "sandpapered"?:popcorn:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Okay, first of all, YOU'RE WEIRD! . . . . and WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS IN A FLASHLIGHT FORUM?? :ohgeez:

Okay, I'm kidding and not really upset. :kiss:

Unless you somehow honed bacon to razor sharp edges I'm going to guess you had a reaction to the tomato. I get that sometimes with certain pizza or other tomato sauces. There are some tricks but the problem for me is I never know when this will happen and they're only preventative.

If you're making your own sauce, throw some fresh, peeled carrots in with it as it's cooking. You can discard them after. They absorb the acid. Also, salt and or a little vinegar could help too. Vinegar neutralizes acid or cools down hot (spicy) food. If you don't use a lot, it will not change the taste. I mentioned salt because that is a trick I use on grapefruit if it's very acidic. Most people use sugar on the grapefruit for the same reason but if you don't want the sweetness, the salt will knock down the acid and not change the taste, provided you don't overdo it.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK who's the wierdo who collects flashlights??? I believe I just said something sacrilegious..:laughing::aaa:

I would've considered the tomatoes, but I eat tomatoes normally and they don't affect me...

It's definitely the toasted bread. Maybe I should let it sog up a little so it's not as abrasive? But then the bread gets mushy and nasty... not going for that.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Sounds like the bread was "well done". Try an english muffin and pull it when it's crisp but not dark brown. Also the best blt I've had was on a ciabatta role with garlic aioli sauce - the role was split, buttered, and pan toasted.
If none of the above helps, an emergency lubricant such as peanut butter can be added to the blt with splendid results (if you like PB), but don't forget the onions!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a sec, adding vinegar(an acid) will REDUCE the acidity of a food? :thinking:

I vote for toast less, or if you can, use the broiler in your oven and only toast one side of the bread, then put that inside the sandwich.

:buddies:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add some ranch dressing to it. Gives it a bit of moisture.

Toast the bread a bit less - lightly toasted, not "incan toasted". :laughing:

Very funny and clever.:thumbsup: So instead of "incan toasted", "HID toasted" is a little lighter?:naughty:

All great ideas, thanks. I'll start toasting lighter from now on. I'll definitely give the "toasting the insides first" idea a try. The one with the garlic butter, etc. sounds beyond delicious!!!:drool::devil: Might make Giada de Laurentiis' stuff look tame!:huh:

...except her "stuff" never looks tame...:naughty::party::sssh::whistle:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had this same thing happen before I realized it from chowing down on pizza. That crust was biting back.

Geoff

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try using buns with some butter on them and toast them on a frying pan. That way only one side of the bread is toasted for the flavor and the other side is soft to protect your mouth:poke:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here's what you do.... Get a large, frozen bagel. Cut it in half. Toast it. Take it out while still hot. Smear it with butter. Plenty of butter. Let it soak in. Then while it's still hot, make the sandwich!

Toasted bread, no sandpaper, and still hot! :thumbsup:

You'd likely get more good ideas if you asked a real expert at sandwich making.... Why haven't any of the handful of women on CPF responded to this thread? ;) :grin2:

kavvika

Enlightened
Gah, same thing happened to me today. Scraped the roof of my mouth hella good while eating a toasted Subway sub with honey oat bread. Those oats are like little razors that'll rip up your mouth. Halfway through, though, I got smart and flipped the sub over. But the damage was done, and I'm still spitting out a little bit of blood.:sigh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gah, same thing happened to me today. Scraped the roof of my mouth hella good while eating a toasted Subway sub with honey oat bread. Those oats are like little razors that'll rip up your mouth. Halfway through, though, I got smart and flipped the sub over. But the damage was done, and I'm still spitting out a little bit of blood.:sigh:

That's why Subway is so popular. Not every sandwich is better off toasted. (Contrary to what a certain other sandwich place says in its commercials).

Subway has some nice, soft bread..... Oh man, I'm making myself hungry.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same problem with toasted hamburger or sausage buns.

Once they get past the "thawed and slightly crunchy" phase, they cut my gums and sometimes the roof of my mouth.

Hmmm....now I'm hungry.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh gosh that sounds painful, I didn't get it that bad. I just had chunks of "skin" in my mouth flapping about every time I brushed my tongue past it. Hope you get better.:(

kavvika

Enlightened
I think I'm better now. I don't think eating a too-hot pizza the day before helped either. I seriously should wait til my food cools more before eating it. Heck, I'm 20 and living in my own apartment, I should know better!:whistle:

P.S.: Along the same lines, I hate it when I burn my tongue on too-hot coffee or tea. That takes a few days to stop hurting. And it's not like I keep drinking it, it's just that first small sip to test the temperature.

Or maybe I just have a very sensitive mouth?:shrug:

Latest posts