Why single C-cell so rare?

BurmaJones

Newly Enlightened
OK, there must be a few single C-cell lights around, but I'm not seeing them . . . something like a Fenix L1D scaled-up? I guess they would be limited to about 1w out of the regulator, but runtime should be at least double a AA. What am I missing?

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for this as well!

There was the electrolumens ohio but I can't find it on their web-page now. perhaps it is discontinued.

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
I think it's a bit of an awkward niche between smaller/dimmer versus bigger/brighter lights. Well, with today's emitters, you can get very decent output from a single alkaline/NiMH battery, but you can get just as bright in a 1AA/AAA light and much more output from a 2-cell light, so it still a doubly compromised size. I think it's kind of hard to sell in any quantity. Don't get me wrong, if runtime is what you're after, I agree that a 1C/1D light has its appeal.

I was tempted to get one of Elektrolumen's 1C/2C Ohio lights. Elektrolumens also had a run of Blaster-1D's, too. Those would make great "hurricane lights" without needing to think about changing out the batteries for a very long time. Unfortunately, neither of these models are currently in production. I suppose if enough people asked, he might consider making some more if he has the parts necessary.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not try the BigLeef single C cell body, his switch and a SF type head on it....you can use any type of C cell and any type of D26/P60 bulb/lamp in it.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not try the BigLeef single C cell body, his switch and a SF type head on it....you can use any type of C cell and any type of D26/P60 bulb/lamp in it.
Thats a little on the pricey side for me. I don't remember the ohio 1c being more tha $100.

OceanView

Enlightened
What would fit in a SF head that can be powered by 1.2-1.5V? Can't think of anything.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even 2C is pretty rare. For a "big" light, I like 2C form factor. I have 5,000mah NiMH :)

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would love it if fenix made a 2c format light. I feel like our only option for c cell lights right now is a mag with a drop in

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Mac's Customs makes a single C-cell (AW protected LiIon) that drives the P7 at 800 lumens for over an hour. Unless you're running a multi-die emitter like the P7, a single C-cell in LiIon or NiMH isn't needed.

One CR123 primary will run a Q5 at 100+ lumens for quite a while:D

thezman

Enlightened
I would like 1D running an SSC at 500mA. With a NiMH, that's 10-12 hours of runtime.

How about a 2d Mag with a Fenix L1P driver board running a SSC at 1.1A.

Oh yeah, the 2 alkaline cells are run in parallel. I don't know how to figure the run time, but I'm guessing it's in the range of 2 days. :D

jag-engr

Enlightened
Yeah, I would love it if fenix made a 2c format light. I feel like our only option for c cell lights right now is a mag with a drop in

Their newest (2)AA "tactical" flashlight (I forget it's name, but it has the cheap-looking rubber handles) looks like it would be big enough to accomodate (2) C-cells.

I think that should be the natural progression of large tactical lights. Most of us want a more compact light (P1D, P2D, EX10, D10, etc) because we are carrying the light in our pocket. Surefire went away from standard batteries to bring us the first tactical lights, but now the technology exists to go back to standard battery sizes.

The E20 proves that two 1.5V cells can provide plently of power for a tactical light and the D10 shows that even one 1.5V cell can deliver a lot of power for a while. Now they should just focus on boosting the runtime. For those who use a flashlight for work, this would be great for them. It would also make a great emergency/vehicle/boat light.

unnerv

Enlightened
How about something like this? :D
minic2.jpg

Something I whipped up earlier this year. Has SSC and Flupic + modamag clickie and an AW C li-ion.

more about the build here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186048