I Can't Believe We Made It!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I Can\'t Believe We Made It!

This came to me via e-mail.

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's, probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them! Congratulations.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I Can\'t Believe We Made It!

Wow, what a nice look back to all those years gone by. Yea, outside playing all day long from early in the morning till it got dark, had to listen hard to see if I could hear mom calling. Very nice perspective and oh, how true.
thanks for that

Flow

Newly Enlightened

I somewhat remember "outside" from when I was very young, but what's thi.... damn, one sec, power's out and the UPS is beeping. Gotta reset the breakers before I go into withdrawls.

Tomas

Banned

Thanks, Dave, good memories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course! We used our KEDS!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course! We used our KEDS!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I can remember when those (US) KEDS weren't even on the market yet. :p

Also, how angry my mother was when she discovered that I had "appropriated" the Briggs & Stratton engine from our new power lawnmower from Sears/Roebuck--while they were away on vacation, to power my home-made go-kart (before there were any commercial ones available). -around 1952, I think....:D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I was in my crib as a baby, my dad handed me my first toys....a little pair of pliers, and a small crescent wrench.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Converse was the shoe that everybody had to have when I was a kid. Never heard of Nikes or Skechers or whatever is popular these days. Keds were available back then, but Converse canvas high-tops felt better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having a two-story tall treehouse was also quite memorable.

Then there were the violin practise sessions, that first tape recorder borrowed from school, Eveready 6V searchlights, old style roller skates, one's first tools, snooping through the garage to find better tools, leaky old ignition coils in garage boxes, blowing out neon bulbs with old furnace transformers, using a 9V battery and live bullets to get sparks out of an old timey transformer, and various other things from "the good old days".

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Playing "fungo" in the street with a broomstick (later, a bat) and discovering that I was a good hitter but a lousy fielder

Jumping off the high garden wall with a giant umbrella which didn't break my fall

Stealing mics and earphones out of the public phones in Penn Station (You could unscrew them in those days)

Hearing a roar overhead, looking up and seeing those beautiful P-38's streak by.

Standing, hand on heart when the Star Spangled Banner played on the radio

Going over to "Skip's" house to watch the first Dumont TV set in the neighborhood.

Feeling embarassed when Dad whistled for my brother and I using a whistle only slightly modified from the one he used for our dog(Norwegian Elkhound named "Silver"))

Loving living in our small town which later grew into a crowded suburb.

Falling in pre-pubescent love with my first love, Paula, and "marrying" her in a mock ceremony attended by dozens of kids.

Watching patriotic parades on our main street and hearing the BOOM BOOM of the big drum

Being able to look far into the smog-free distance

Hearing the crickets at night

Watching Dad bring home his new wire recorder

Watching Dad set up the his first good tape recorder (Magnecorder, I think)

Being on a first name basis with the cops and the mailman (Named Ray who was later arrested for pilfering the mail in a case that made headlines in the local paper)

In Summer camp watching the raising and lowering of the flag and learning all the traditional bugle calls.

Living in a time and place where crime was mainly just a word and nobody locked their doors.

Every phone was black and had a dial. Public phones were two-piece.

Long distance trains were clean, safe and fun

Where did it all go?

Brightnorm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Very nice Brightnorm, you motivated me.

You had a 4th of July street party and everyone brought a covered dish.

You knew all of the people on your street. You knew those same people would say something to you and tell your folks if they ever saw you doing something wrong.

Spending the night at a friends house was fun and didn't require a committee decision, research or phone calls to make it happen.

Your Mom could whistle louder than your Dad and every Mom had their own distinct whistle that brought you running. There was no arguing with the whistle. If you were coming up to bat and you heard Mom's whistle you dropped the bat and headed for home in a dead run. If you took more than one minute to get home and you weren't out of breath, there would be hell to pay.

A Coke was a treat. If you were good you would get one a week. During the summer you collected Coke bottles to turn in for .03 cents each. 4 bottles got you a free coke.

Going out to eat was another treat. It might be a once a week evolution, either Sat. night or Sunday for lunch.

You ate together and ate the same food. If you didn't like it you still had to try it. Many nights you went to bed hungry.

Boys school clothes were purchased in early Sept. You got 2 new pair of pants and your brothers old shirts. If you didn't have an older brother you got 2 new shirts and your cousins old shirts. All your clothes came from Sears & Roebuck or J.C. Penny's.

You wore your pants until you could no longer button the waist. Pants were never too short as long as they still had life in them. By spring all your school pants had patches on the knees and it didn't bother you.

When you would go visit your grandparents 40 miles away it was an event. Dad checked the car over good before you left.

By the time you were 10 you could cut the grass. Vacuum and dust the house to Mom's satisfaction or get to do it again. You could wash dishes, fold clothes, clean the garage, sharpen a knife, weed the flowerbeds, shoot a gun and tie any number of knots. You did these things well because your allowance depended on some of them.

Yes Sir and No Sir, Yes Mam and No Mam were used 100% of the time when speaking to anyone over the age of 20.

If you got "licks" at school it guaranteed a belt spanking when Dad got home from work.

Your parents didn't care if you thought your teacher was mean, in fact you think they liked it.

Your Dad's only power tool was a hand crank drill.

Nobody sat in Dad's chair if he was home.

Your Mother gave you a spanking in he middle of the grocery store and everyone that saw was glad she did it.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave I remember asking for my pillow at the dinner table on liver night (couldn't leave the table until I finished my dinner), turns out I actually like a good plate of liver and onions now.

Got spanked on the steps of the church for speaking out loud or fidgiting during service (totally deserved of course)

Had to stay by Mom's side or in the cart while shopping with Mom and was reprimanded for yelling or screaming in public.

We were allowed to ride our bikes to school, practice, the neighborhood store and to the park( a good mile or two away from home through neighborhood traffic) where we could play unsupervised on the playsets. As Dave said, sans helmets.

Neighbors regularly gave out snacks to kids and nobody ever choked or poisoned. but you better come home on time for lunch or dinner and call if you wanted to stay at somebody elses.

Sports (even for youngsters) were scored events where you either won or lost and had to learn the value of being a good sport in either case.

We would play in the woods and were given our own pocketknives and BB guns by at most the age of ten ( I was around 8, .22's came shortly after) and were taught how to safely handle, care for and use a gun and knife. I personally credit this part a great deal for my development of personal resposibility, as well as my penchant for taking good care of my belongings and others too.

We would trick or treat in groups of kids with no adults and everyone in the surrounding three neighborhoods knew all the kids and their parents.

We built models with the same glues kid's now sniff for recreation and were not tempted to take it up as a pastime.

Made skateboards from old rollerskates and 1x6's and then rode them around barefoot and in cutoffs with no helmets in the street with traffic (with an occassional daring downhill).

Made our bikes sound like airplanes with old playing cards and clothes pins and had pretend dogfights saying we were guys like Eddie Rickenbacker, Pappy Boyington or Joe Foss ( I actually got to sit and have lunch with Joe Foss at the NRA Convention a few years ago and to meet and talk with this great hero of mine since childhood was something I'll never forget, He died recently and he really is the man everyone said he was wise, witty and down to earth) and other great American Aces.

We were taught how to operate and maintain appliances and lawn mowers and automobiles (before we could even drive them) and were allowed to use Dad's tools to fix and build stuff, but God forbid you left them out or abused them.

Parents were allowed to give others kids a good talking to (and you listened) and even send them home if they got out of line. And usually you got it even worse after they called ahead to tell your folks you were on your way home and why.

I do miss being a kid back in the day, we were taught responsiblily through trust and freedom and the consequences of violating either of them. and nobody was a victim of anything but their own stupidity or lack of common sense (which you quickly caught up on). We were taught the value of being resilient and self reliant, though we valued our friendships and enjoyed camaraderie (we took our medicine together usually when we screwed up as a group and even took the fall for our buddies on occassion). Makes you wonder, were lawyers ever kids?

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Ah...but this new generation of kids...is it all the kids fault /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

tsg68,
I love it.

Saaby,
No it's not all the kids fault. It's the fault of people that found a better way. People started believing all the Dr. Spock's of the world. Somewhere along the line it became abuse to spank your kid and a law suit if a teacher did it. Who knows why but everyone needed to be a winner to protect their self esteem. Discipline became too hard. Parents started thinking their 10 year olds were smart enough to make their own decisions. An increasingly alarming number of households became single parent and many of those were single parent from conception. Being the victim became vogue. There was a lawyer or an ACLU rep. standing on every corner telling you to cry on their shoulder. Religion became the enemy and people focused on getting it out of schools and quit focusing on producing students that were also good citizens. Enough rambling and to re-answer your question, No Saaby it's not all the kids fault.

I hope we are turning the corner. We just gave a great lesson on consequences to the world. I hope and believe the country is starting to lean a little to the right at least with regards to morals, discipline and values.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I lived in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1957.

Listened to neighbours strumming "Claudette, pretty little Claudette" on their guitars on the porch steps.

Listened to Elvis croon "Love Me Tender"

Went down to the corner store, bought a comic book, a Coke and a bag of chips for a quarter.

Bought those really small fire crackers that we called "Lady Fingers" and set them off.

Bought the slightly larger ones that had all the wicks entwined, disentangled them and set them off one-by-one with a smoldering piece of string.

Almost took the other kids' eyes out with plastic pea-shooters.

Set the neighbor's fence afire with fire crackers, discovered it 15 minutes later and extinguished it (whew!!)

Played the pin-ball machine for 5 cents a crack.

My allowance was 25 cents a week, bottles were 2 cents each, you could buy cigarettes at school for 2 cents each. You could buy a pack for 33 cents at the IGA grocery store.

Rode my bike 6 miles to to the river (I was 11 yrs. old) alone, swam in the river (alone) and came back, thirsty as heck.

Stuffed myself with 10 hot dogs at the annual picnic.

Delivered newspapers door-to-door for 35 cents a week (Ottawa Journal - 5 cents daily, 10 cents Saturday)

Froze my a$$ off going to school in the winter (35 below zero one day)

Listened to Art Linkletter on black & white television, 2 channels, learned about and used hula hoops (I didn't understand the appeal, though)

Perry Como introduced stereo television.. you had to use the TV and a radio at the same time.. no radio stations in Ottawa carried it though..

We called the French kids "frogs", they called us "English tea cups".

Standing on the front seat of my Dad's car, driving along the Rideau Canal, heard the announcement on radio that the Russians had launched the "Sputnik". Never heard of seat belts.

Just started to hear about U.S. and Soviet atomic bomb tests. (Later had some really bad nightmares about it.)

Everything had asbestos insulation, especially at school, where they had it in the ceilings and on the pipes.

My house had asbestos shingles.

Lead was in the gasoline... helped to stop knock... who cared about the air?

Made it though.

Albany Tom

Enlightened

A couple more....

If the neighbor kid fell off your back porch and cut his knee, he asked you not to tell his folks. Nobody sued anybody.

If you wrecked the car in town, the policeman called your dad. Nobody was arrested.

It was normal to carry a pocket knife to school. Nobody ever stabbed anybody.

On the down side:

It took four weeks to get ANYTHING. There was no such thing as Fed-X, and the concept would have been strange anyway. You went to the local store, and they ordered it, and it eventually showed up. Maybe.

You couldn't see across the Ohio river north of Wellsburg most of the time. Same with Pittsburgh.

Automobile tires sucked.

8-tracks sucked. Records weren't much better. Remember those stupid needles?

And most importantly of all....the Maglite was the best flashlight. It IS a wonder we survived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
8-tracks sucked. Records weren't much better. Remember those stupid needles?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hated those dumb needles, and those crappy 8-track tapes.
I buy cassettes (and ghetto blasters that play them) and CDs from ebay all the time, but no records or 8-tracks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
And most importantly of all....the Maglite was the best flashlight. It IS a wonder we survived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was buying Mag Lites as late as the late 1980s, when I bought a 5-C and 6-D Mag. The 5-C is missing the rubber cover that goes over the switch (it probably went up the vacume or got chewed up by pet rats), but otherwise the flashlight works fine.

The 6-D was in a car that was stolen in 1989, and I never saw it again. I hope the car thief dropped it and busted the bulb & flattened all the (+) nipples on the batteries, especially if he was using it to steal another car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember when..

It used to be an excuse to be DWI.

When you tripped over a crack, you looked embarrassed, instead of looking for the number of a lawyer.

When long hair was ridiculed..

When short hair was ridiculed..

When $3000 would be a pricey automobile...

When $3000 would be a bargain PC...

When class would start with the Pledge of Alliegiance, and the flag hung in front of every classroom.

When there was one main language, and I could read all the ads in the NYC subway.