LOD Q4 the best AAA light?

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
About to buy a Fenix LOD Q4, but just wanted to check, is this pretty much the brightest, longest running, non-custom well made single AAA light out there? I have been searching but the other stuff is either way more money or low runtimes/overstated lumens ect. Just want to make sure before I take the plunge that I am going the right way. :thinking: I already own a couple AA Fenix lights and have been very happy with them.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
i searched long and hard and I think it is pretty much the best thing out there but i guess you cant really say definitively that one or another is best. Do you have any plans to use 10440's? I believe that is one of the main reasons to get a liteflux. Well regardless, I vote get a fenix, the LOD's are the beez kneez.
EDIT: 2 main arguments you may hear against it are the use pf PWM, a slight flicker some ppl claim they can see on the lower modes and the regulation, some ppl say they can see it get dimmer as they use it. Personally, I have never noticed either of these things.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest and longest running generally are mutually exclusive, but the LOD does both well with its low-med-high output. Its one of my favorites, and probably my top pick for "best" AAA light, though that is very subjective.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
I had a L0DQ2 and I loved the light. It was unbelievably bright on a 10440 cell. Its only drawback for my use was its lack of a 'low' low.

I now carry a Liteflux LF2 which has a user programable 'low' that wont overpower night adjusted eyes.

I'd say give the LF2X a look if you need the versatility of it's programability.

If you don't need a 'low' low, then you can't go wrong with the L0D.

My two cents.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've also been leaning first one way, then the other between the LF2 and L0D. I have no plans of ever using 10440's, but the lower low and other options on the LF2 have always been tempting.

Thanks for asking the question Marlinaholic. I appreciate all the additional input.

Geoff

DArklite

Enlightened
You also may want to consider the L0D Rebel version. I think EliteLED is the only one that have any left in stock. Compared to the Q4, you lose 5 lumens on the high end - big deal. What you gain is a lower "low" end, and the different beam color.
Besides, the Q4 is the current version - you can always get one. Not too sure how much longer the Rebel will be around (plus right now it's cheaper than the Q4 too).
I love mine. I have it on the same keyring as an Arc AAA (6.5 years and running) and if I want a *really* low output, I'll fire up the Arc. Other than that, the Arc is serving as a spare battery carrier for the L0D.

GBH2

Newly Enlightened
This AAA shootout thread might help - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197358

I don't have an LOD Q4 but from everything I have read it sounds like a great light that many people think very highly of.

I have a Liteflux Lf2 ssc p4 and I absolutely love it. Nice useable floody beam, awesome low low, programmable, voltage report, impressive high (especially on 10440):)

GPB

Enlightened
I can't compare it to the Fenix since I don't have one, but the Tiablo MA1 is a sweet little light. Its rated at 100 lumens, has high/low, runs well on alkies, lithiums, or NiMH, and throws a lot of light for its size.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Liteflux, It sounds good, but the U.I. scares me a bit:confused:
I returned my Avenger.
I love my LOD Q4! Adding the Streamilght MicroStream end cap makes it even better. I also run on 10440s . For AAA runtime at $15 the Streamlight Microstream, is a must have.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also take into consideration the Mako, its a custom titanium AAA light with just two levels.

It's still in the works but looks promising at ~$100.

I know thats twice as much as the LOD-CE but it looks to be ten times cooler.

Pros over LOD-CE: titanium, smaller, 2 levels(high, low), no strobe/sos.

Heres the link:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204949

Ice

Enlightened
I own a few L0Ds and all verisons of the LF2.
The deciding factor for me is size, so for edc I'd use a LF2-SSC (the shortest LF2 version).
You might even want to have a look at the Arc-AAA. It's much less bright, has less options and built quality is neither worse nor better then the L0D or LF2, but it's still a little bit smaller...

LF2:
+versatile
+high pwm frequency
+well built
+easy to handle when programmed (2 switch design)
+regulated
+works with lithium rechargeables
+bright (LF2) to very bright (LF2X) to insanely bright (LF2X with lithium rechargeables)
-difficult to programm (in the beginning)
-LF2X version is not too small...

L0D:
+a little smaller than the LF2 (and noticable smaller than the LF2X)
+easy to opperate
+rather simple design
-pwr frequency

Arc-AAA:
+very small (the smallest yxou can get for an AAA battery)
+easy to operate
-only one brightness setting

(Feel free to copy, add to and change that list! :) )

Last edited: