L4 review

maxa beam

Banned
Beamshots soon- though I'm sure you all know what the beam on an L4 looks like.

I've been gnawing at the idea of purchasing one ever since I decided I needed an around-the-house light which didn't instantly blind me upon looking at the spot on the wall (Yes, M4, that's you.)

I finally bit a few months ago. Loved it ever since.

The knurling is great and the hard-anodize is supurb as any Surefire's is, and believe me, this light has been abused despite its position in my arsenal.

The beam is my favorite part of it, though. A smooth, creamy hotspot slowly fades into a corona which transists rather abruptly but nonetheless smoothly into a veritable wall of spill. It's simply amazing. An entire room is easily illuminated due to the enormant flood and bounce factor.

The UI is obviously idiot-proof. Click once for constant on, once for off, hold without clicking for momuntary.

As do all Surefires, it came lubed well with Nyogel on O-rings and threads, though I did add a bit to the head's threads, as they were a bit dry.

Many complain of heat, but I don't see a problem. After much time of constant on it's not uncomfortable to use unless you're holding it at the bezel.

Overall, amazing. I never thought such an outdated light could become such an important part of my arsenal. The beam characteristics are simply unmatched.

H2Orower

Enlightened
Enjoy your new light. I just got an L4 myself last week. Out of curiosity, did yours also come with the long clip? Mine did and I hadn't seen an L4 with a long clip until then.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to see the L4 get recognition. It is a classic. It's one of the lights that every flashoholic should have.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
A classic. Really perfect in form and function. My second SF. Many lights have come and gone since I got my L4. I have still not seen anything comparable in size, performance and quality.

I love the ability to stand in the doorway of a typical room and light it from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. Also an excellent work light and great size for EDC if you choose.

A Keeper!

I would recommend to all-get one while they are still available.

Mark

maxa beam

Banned
Interesting choice.

Also, I forgot to mention, the tint of the LED is amazing. Almost incan in nature.

maxa beam

Banned
Enjoy your new light. I just got an L4 myself last week. Out of curiosity, did yours also come with the long clip? Mine did and I hadn't seen an L4 with a long clip until then.
I'm not sure what the size of a long clip is. Mine reached about halfway on the body.

H2Orower

Enlightened
I'm not sure what the size of a long clip is. Mine reached about halfway on the body.

Thanks. I'm not at home right now so I can't post pictures, but if you look at the Surefire website, the L4 pictured there has the normal "short" clip, and the E2L Outdoorsman has the "long". My L4 came from SF with a long clip and I'm just curious if that is what they are putting on the L4 from now on? Thanks again. :)

H2Orower

Enlightened

Now that I'm home again and looking at my lights, it sounds as though you have the short clip that is pictured on the L4 on SFs website. That's kinda odd that I got a long. No big deal though. I called Surefire and they're sending a short for me. I have mixed feelings about which one I'll use. Here's my long:

And, pictured below for comparison, is the short clip version off of SFs website:

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
I'd use the long clip. The light is a bit topheavy and wobbles around when clipped to my pocket a bit more than I'm comfortable with due to the short clip.

H2Orower

Enlightened
I'd use the long clip. The light is a bit topheavy and wobbles around when clipped to my pocket a bit more than I'm comfortable with due to the short clip.

For the time being, my long clip has remained on. It does seem more functional than a short, although I don't really ever use the clips to attach to my pockets or clothing anyway. Surefire has sent me a short clip in case I change my mind.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what that upgrade would be, with the KX2C already out and replacing the KL4 in the Scout Light and other applications where the KL4 had been used? But you can never be certain what SureFire will do...

H2Orower

Enlightened
On a separate note, now that I've had my L4 for a couple weeks and played with it, I can't say that I'm completely blown away by the "wall of light" that I had heard so much about. My expectations were raised really high concerning the broad, wide beam of the L4. Obviously, I see the difference when compared to my mostly TIR equipped lights, but when I compare it to the original head that came on my E2E-BK, the E2E casts a wider "wall". Should this be?

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was another thread the L4 is equipped with a Seoul P4 now? What LED has yours got? Btw, which Luxeon is in mine, that's an info I didn't find at Surefire?

It surely is a great light and the beam is fantastic. The only negative thing is the running time. Surefire claims 2.5 hours, but that's approx 1 hour on high and the rest is usable light, which nobody is interested in. As 2 CR123A aren't cheap around here, we unfortunately don't use our L4 often, only when it gets really tough... :mecry:

Henk

P220C

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the E2e has the bulb very close to the pyrex lens. There is a ton of spill.

I noticed that it is wider than my G2 LED.

The G2 LED and the C-3 incan have very similar spill areas.

That E2e is an awesome little light that is very difficult to beat. I'm not sure, but I think that the L4 will have a little further throw than the E2e, a few more lumens, and a little longer runtime.

I carry my E2e everyday, as I have for a very long time. The size of that light and the way it fits the hand is damn near perfect.

Not taking anything away from the L4, since it is virtually identical to the E2e. I'm just trying to get you to see that they both are great lights in their own right.