pt2. Has your Light Saved you, or others, from a Dangerous situation

How many times if ever has your light really become a Life saving tool. Multiple vote

• Total voters

Nite

Enlightened
As Im new here forgive please my earlier mistake.:oops:

Saturday night my custom built light saved my butt by helping prevent my becoming a crime victim. It has inspired me to start THIS thread.
Thanks for giving me a Place to tell my story in an earlier thread!:sick2:

Please keep this exactly on topic. Do Not rant:sigh: about your Local laws or your opinion on any law. Do not go off topic about weapons, only mentioning things directly relevant to the story. If your light is the weapon or an aid to one, then I think its ok to mention the weapon.:whistle:

This is about flashlights not weapons, the weapon is only a fragment of my story. If your lights crenelated bezel is your weapon then Not only do I think that is allowed but is also pretty awesome.:grin2::crackup: I now carry a crenelated bezel on my light.

Please dont forget to give every detail about your light and its power source. Whered u buy it? How long u have it? any custom parts? What other lights and cells were u carrying as a backup at the time.:D

No opinions, just stories. Please, lots of stories.:poke:

:poof:

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
Surefire has a contest where u write in your story and maybe u win 100$ store credit.

Like penthouse forum, I question most of these stories.

also like Playboy or penthouse many stories are Very old...like when cops didnt carry anything but a 3 D maglight , like 4 or 5 yrs ago. And the civilian hero had a surefire etc.

SO lets hear some stories from our CURRENT Active membership
:poof:

Nite

Enlightened
this link is my story and a few others it was my first try at a poll :oops:
(part 1?)...and is closed. However the poll data is still valid. It had been viewed by a Huge number of CPF members compared to other threads open the same amount of time. It's closure by moderators serves as a guide of what not to do! Im glad I didn't get banned for encouraging off topic discussion.:eek:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205380

The warning by a moderator at the end of the thread serves as a warning to us all!

Moderators, if this link to an earlier thread isnt kosher then please delete this post, not me! thanks.:welcome:

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
Original: DM51

These topics are far outside the purpose of not only this sub-forum but indeed of CPF. You need to take this to the Underground, so I am closing this thread.

His intention wasn't for you to create another here on CPF. Rather, register an account on the CPF Underground and post it there.

Nite

Enlightened
I have to register at a third site? I didnt realize it was that far away from CPF main forum.

I dont think it fair for you take only 10% of DMs Post, out of context, and paste it here.

Perhaps you are right and I have misunderstood.

If I were to quote him out of context it would look like this Re: How many times has your Light saved your life or kept u from becoming a victim.
"The first part of the thread title, about a light helping to save your life, would be a reasonable topic for discussion here. "

I guess I was seeing the glass as half full...Im a realistic optimist. WHile the glass is half full, the water is polluted and if you drink it you'll get sick and die.

If I am mistaken then I apologize.

I tried to follow the moderators instructions to keep the focus on the flashlight....and how it was used as a lifesaving tool.

isnt it the holy grail of CPF using your EDC to save a life? Your own? Isnt this why were all here?
"If it wasnt for MDOCODs LiOn Thread id be dead" hey that rhymes.
He, silverfox who taught him, and greta for setting up this place..id now be in the hospital or worse.

Its a LeefBody C to C 2 x 18500 with SF tailcap Clicky bought on CPFM
Cells bought from AW here on CPFM also, and from lighthound.

MY 320 lumen custom built 9P91 did what my SF P60 couldve never done.

Nite

Enlightened
His intention wasn't for you to create another here on CPF. Rather, register an account on the CPF Underground and post it there.

I agree, i will set up an account there so i can have people go beyond the flashlight part of the story.

I will start a thread on the underground ALSO, but mostly to discuss aspects regarding but not limited to, (quoting DM51) "to encompass matters such as law enforcement politics, procedures, practice, weaponry and other quasi-legal issues."
that stuff killed the earlier thread.

I will do it later, I am very tired. :sleepy:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF this stays on topic, I think it is a good thread and enjoyed the first one that was closed due to people going OFF TOPIC.

Hopefully this one stays open and ON TOPIC....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

matt0

Enlightened
I am in no position to tell others what to do and I hope I didn't come off as doing so. You are correct in that what I quoted was slightly out of context.

I should have quoted this part:
Original: DM51
You are now proposing to widen the discussion further, to encompass matters such as law enforcement politics, procedures, practice, weaponry and other quasi-legal issues. These topics are far outside the purpose of not only this sub-forum but indeed of CPF. You need to take this to the Underground, so I am closing this thread.
Perhaps I shouldn't have replied to this thread so quickly but it seems like a very similar question that may follow the same path as "Part 1".

Nite

Enlightened
I am in no position to tell others what to do and I hope I didn't come off as doing so. You are correct in that what I quoted was slightly out of context.

I should have quoted this part: Perhaps I shouldn't have replied to this thread so quickly but it seems like a very similar question that may follow the same path as "Part 1".

Edit..apology accepted....

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
ok this isnt go as well as last time, sorry i snapped matt

lets get it started again..heres my story from saturday night.

Well I just came home from going out...so my Jetbeam Mk1 IBS is still around my neck on a lanyard
with 14500 Cell its 225 lumens when i first fire it up!
its the backup for my Still speed holstered
Homemade Surefire 9P made from scratch

2 X 18500 C to C leefbody with Surefire Crenelated bezel. Z59 Clicky GITD o ring for tailcap gap. and a P91 lamp for 320 LUMENS. Measurements goto MDOCOD..is that right his name?

Tonight I decided I have sat home long enough. I was determined to have a good time.

I drove to a familiar GPS poi, parked in front of a bar. A bar next to one of the two fire island ferries, a dead end on maple in bayshore. A pier. it was still early. I was wondering where the ferry to ocean beach was and decided to head that way and get a schedule for next weekend. It was a second, free lot..by another ferry, not the gated lot.

I was walking toward the ferry when one large shirtless drunk bodybuilder grabbed me and he was there with is friend..asked me if I was lost, said they were lost...asked me for money.
I made some space between us and after a short warning and trying to get away, i blasted them in the face with my biggest brightest flashlight....they moved so slow it seemed i couldve pulled anything from my pocket...it wasnt inna holster (I fumbled in my pocket) i was dressed up, trying to look good. one even asked me if I was reaching for a gun. the fact they were drunk made them dangerous but slow to react.

then I saw the ferry pull away, the one I had been looking for......Now that it was away from the pier wall I now could see its running lights clearly about 20 yrds further down.

After being blinded twice they stopped coming and as they wondered aloud what I was doing with a light like that, they started to pickup weapons...as I called 911

then I pulled my Pepper gun, the one that looks like a black tazer ONLY two shots! not good odds if I miss them each just once. (I lost my backup pepper, and decided to leave the one that looks like an orange gun at home)...gave a last warning One designed to sound like an authority figure, Last chance I said. took aim, they slinked away behind a wall, and I waited for police. The police were only about 4 or 5 blocks away I saw them as I entered. Only another few seconds i thought to myself.....

and I waited....

And I waited

then I called again,

I Saw they were waiting for me to pull out the only way out, in my car, which I had taken to hiding behind my back against the water.

I hoped shining that light would put in their minds the fact i could be a cop..(I was an Aux. Cop once upon a time)...and I waited. Only two shots of pepper between me and them...

they asked me to confirm my name, then address..asked for a cross street, gave exact address,

asked me for cross streets.

then no one ever came.

if I hadnt had my light, and my kimber guardian angel id be a victim right now.
even more worrying even tho I hear its very quiet tonight on the police radio..they never came.

they decided to let me face my fate I guess.
isnt it illegal for the police to fail to respond to a 911 call..?

i left after calling them back over half an hour later..to tell them there was no more need for police intervention as I was totally alone at that point, except for the owner of the bar who now was watching me just stand there. I had knocked on his door to let me in a few minutes earlier..but he had closed very early. He would not have unlocked the door to save me Im sure.

Im still high on adrenalin, shaking over 3 hours later..

I pulled out of the lot, it was clear, they got bored and started hassling some women who I was in no position to help.

If I was them Id be pretty sure I had a gun or was gonna have a bad time. I put on a really good show. Pure confidence and adrenalin saved me from two drunk steroid using thugs. (a little help from a police issue light and My guardian angel, the real one, and the one I carry.) I was thinking the whole time if I survive this by shooting them with pepper Id get arrested for assault even tho I would've been in the right.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I work grave yard shifts, and I've come across quite a number of accidents on the road. This led me to EDCing flashlights, in all the accidents that I've encountered nobody was carrying a light. Lights are very vital in a road accident, for instance flashlight can alert other motorist of the accident ahead so further wrecks can be avoided. Another use of light is for signaling, so first responders can easily spot the site of the accident, this is specially helpful when something happend on a obscure road.
There was an accident on front of my workplace around 4 am earlier involving a car and a motorcycle. I usually carry two lights with me, one I leave in the car, (a thrower) the other one I EDC. I used the thrower to alert other drivers of the accident, then the strobe of my EDC light to beacon the accident.

Nite

Enlightened
excellent story..

now every detail and model # of your lights please!
:wave:
Please dont forget to give every detail about your light and its power source. Whered u buy it? How long u have it? any custom parts? What other lights and cells were u carrying as a backup at the time.

No opinions, just stories. Please, lots of stories.

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added to the "prevented me from becoming a victim" count.

About four years I took my wife and two small childredn up to D.C. for a little summer vacation. One night we found ourselves at the Lincoln Memorial making our way to the newer memorials at the other end of the reflecting pool. The tree lined pathway we took was very dark and the wife was using a little LED light of some sort for navigation. I suddenly heard footsteps closing in quickly behind us. I turned and flashed my E2e and illuminated a guy dressed all in black (including black gloves - in summer?). He immediately did a 180 and took off. Looking back he may have just been a jogger, but he was dressed too much like a "bad guy" from the movies... True story. In fact when the Wall Street Journal did an article on extreme tactical flashlights mine was one of the stories the journalist (Reed Albertgotti) listed.

Nite

Enlightened
Good story..how bright is that light? when U lit him up? Stock SF E2E? 60 lumens should do it. especially in that darkness.

your right winter is coming, darkness 16 hours a day here in NY...18?

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story..how bright is that light? when U lit him up? Stock SF E2E? 60 lumens should do it. especially in that darkness.

your right winter is coming, darkness 16 hours a day here in NY...18?

Yes, 60 lumens or so. It was definitely up to the task and I'm mad at myself for eventually trading it away.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
excellent story..

now every detail and model # of your lights please!
:wave:
Please dont forget to give every detail about your light and its power source. Whered u buy it? How long u have it? any custom parts? What other lights and cells were u carrying as a backup at the time.

No opinions, just stories. Please, lots of stories.

The lights that where with me at that time was Surefire 6P with Malkoff drop in and the Nitecore DI. Here's another story from long ago:

LINK

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Well just 2 days ago I was getting ready to enter my house and next to that door is a thermometer that I check on a regular basis. I did not vote this as a life saving event or anything, but I am glad I looked at the area around that item, because I noticed a Black Widow with numerous little babies right along the edge of this thermometer. Now I have been bitten two times that I know of from either Black or Brown Widow spiders. The last time I was bit was about 6 years ago, and it made my right ankle swell up three times the normal size. Went to the Doc, got the medication, and all is fine. Here in Florida I fear the Brown Recluse spider much more than the Black or Brown Widow spiders. So my trusty L1 from SureFire most likely saved me pain and a medical visit with a charge for services. BTW, those spiders have been smashed and crushed. It seems since the last recent Tropical Storm Fay, which has flooded many areas of Florida in a already saturated wet way, many of these insects are looking for dry spots.