Hey Surefire!,where's the new A2?

H2Orower

Enlightened
All right, so I just got myself a "four flats"/"square body" A2 and, from purely a collection standpoint, I'm very pleased with my purchase. But we all know that the light is way behind the times in terms of brightness/runtime. Even as an "Aviator" myself, I had never seriously considered purchasing the A2 early on as my primary flashlight for work. Even now, I only purchased it because I've become an addictive and obsessive Surefire nut who was attracted by the old "vintage" styling, and stumbled upon a good deal. It was an ingenious idea and engineering feat back when it first arrived, but it's past time for an update fellas. I know you're busy with new projects, but can you find the time to replace the xenon bulb with a modern, high powered LED? And while you're at it, replace the tailcap with a clickie UI like the E2DL/E1B etc. You've got yourself a really cool flashlight with the A2, now let's make it even better. :)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Personally, I think the A2 is almost perfect the way it is, I say keep the incan bulb, just up it's output, maybe replace the 5MM emitters with Seouls or Rebels, maybe have an "Aviatrix-style" LED ring, with a low red for night-vision preservation, and the other two LEDs white Cree/Seoul/Rebels

If I was redesigning the A2, my changes would be;
150+ lumen regulated Incan bulb
1 5mm red LED (night-vision preservation and long runtime)
2 small form-factor "Power-LED" emitters in white
Rechargable battery compatibility (RCR-123a/18650/proprietary SF battery)
primary battery compatibility
still a 2-cell light for runtime on incan

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Kroma... Sorry, to disappoint everyone!

Hard to argue with that, it's an engineering marvel. I love mine.

The A2:
Bump up the Ican output by maybe 20%
2 stage LED.
Switch that only allows one or the other to be on at one time.
Go back to the 4 flat sided version.

scottaw

Enlightened
Not to rain on the parade, but i'm pretty sure i've read that SF has stopped all research on incans. But some of the other new SF lights have gone into multi brightness/focusing that should make a nice replacement.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clickie - :thumbsdow YMMV (and obviously does, which is fine!) In my opinion, the "accelerator pedal" tailcaps on the L1/L2/A2 are totally foolproof, both in terms of use and in terms of durability.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wait, somebody will sugest they replace the A2's incan bulb with a Cree, maybe the new warm ones. I'm not suggesting that, it would make a brand new light. Don't mess with the A2.

Retinator

Enlightened
The A2 is the only incandescent I would like to have.
I always wanted a good incan, but have been sideswiped by LEDs.

It'll be awhile before they update the A2, I think. Maybe replace the incan with a small HID, as technology progresses or update the LEDs.

If anything I think the Kroma is more due for an update (Lux III).

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, so I just got myself a "four flats"/"square body" A2 and, from purely a collection standpoint, I'm very pleased with my purchase. But we all know that the light is way behind the times in terms of brightness/runtime. Even as an "Aviator" myself, I had never seriously considered purchasing the A2 early on as my primary flashlight for work. Even now, I only purchased it because I've become an addictive and obsessive Surefire nut who was attracted by the old "vintage" styling, and stumbled upon a good deal. It was an ingenious idea and engineering feat back when it first arrived, but it's past time for an update fellas. I know you're busy with new projects, but can you find the time to replace the xenon bulb with a modern, high powered LED? And while you're at it, replace the tailcap with a clickie UI like the E2DL/E1B etc. You've got yourself a really cool flashlight with the A2, now let's make it even better. :)

"Behind the times" in terms of what? A non-LED isn't behind the times, especially a regulated incan like the A2.

Leave it the way it is, there's nothing wrong with the A2.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
My A2 is my favorite Incan. I just wish it had different LEDs that weren't angry blue! I hate angry blue! I sanded them lightly for a more even coverage, but the blue's still there.

It's still a nice light.

H2Orower

Enlightened
I love the passion that people have for the A2, and I respect that. :thumbsup: That's what makes the A2 a Surefire classic!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for a major overhaul of the light. When I said it was "behind the times", I was referring specifically in terms of brightness/runtime. For example, compare it to the current E2L:

A2: 50/3 lumens and 60minutes/20hrs runtime
E2L: 60/3 lumens and 11hrs/100hrs
(SF website specs)

or compare the A2s primary light source to a E2DL: the E2DL is over twice the brightness (120lumens) AND just about twice the runtime (1.9hrs).

All I'm saying is that the A2 would be greatly improved with the addition of a modern technology LED and the increased brightness/runtimes that they bring. No?

Size15's

Flashaholic
All I'm saying is that the A2 would be greatly improved with the addition of a modern technology LED and the increased brightness/runtimes that they bring. No?
It's not all/always about 'brightness/runtimes' - there are many, myself included who value the regulated incandescent beam for illumination purposes. LED so-called 'white' light just can't compete.

Whether there is a place for an LED version of the A2 offering the ability to transition from a low output / long runtime / close range / broad beam output , of one colour, to a high output, longer range, more intense beam of white light by simply applying further pressure to the switch button - I certainly hope so.
But that doesn't replace or detract from the benefits of a regulated incandescent beam.
I believe there is enough room in this world for both!

Al :)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember someone said by having infrared radiation contained within the bulb, so less energy is spent on keep the filament warm, it's possible to bring incan's efficiency close to LED. Would be pretty cool to see that in A2. :)

IcantC

Enlightened
What would you do with a brighter light? The A2 is plenty bright for almost all tasks and nothing beats a regulated incan!

Illum

Flashaholic
The A2 is like a 6P, its not a classic that you can just change the records without fear of objection.

Forget turbohead, an elongated bezel should increase throw while retaining all the physical properties the A2 has. :eek:

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I bought an A2 in January after reading as much as I could about them here, and made the determination that I needed to have it. Best $99 I ever spent on a light.

I love it.

I'm glad to see the A2 still has a loyal following. The LED invasion has seemed to all but consume quite a bit of torch talk, so it's nice to see the allegiance still exists. It does what it does vey well, and I think it rates as one of the best lights available.

Come to think of it, I should get a second one while I can. Was the technology different in the flat sided one versus the current round body edition? I originially had a flat sided A2, but returned it once I found A2's on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse for $99. I knew I should've bought two back then!

Illum

Flashaholic
Was the technology different in the flat sided one versus the current round body edition? I originially had a flat sided A2, but returned it once I found A2's on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse for $99. I knew I should've bought two back then!

Nope, theres been numerous threads in comparing them...the verdict turned out to be the flat one having better ergonomics but difficult to turn out compared to the new version. :rolleyes: