Learning to Live with the Fenix E01

Confederate

Enlightened
It's not difficult. True, no one is making diffusers or red filters for it, and my e-mails to Fenix asking when I can expect to see a bicycle mount for the E01 have gone unanswered, still, the little lights are growing on people like some deranged species of fungus. It has on me...er...they have on me. You see, they come in colors and, naturally, I have to have all the colors...well...except pink, of course. That would be...unmanly.

I still can't wait to see the "moon mode" for this thing. Has anyone else? Last night while my wife was sleeping, I continued re-reading the classic Arthur C. Clarke novel, Rendevouz With Rama, only with my little titanium/olive E01. I was able to use an angle that let me read in comfort, but then I thought, hmmmmm (I always do that when I'm thinking)...what if I pull my bed sheet over it, or my tee shirt? So I tried it and got a beautiful diffused glow that made reading a breeze. So I read. Then I wondered if I would be able to read by moon mode. I still don't know.

Sun mode was more than enough to read by.

Oh, and it's a good book if you've never read it.

BTW, the Fenix Store is selling off some of its older CE lights as package deals with E01s. If you figure in the E01s into the price, the cost is pretty good. I ordered two, then was a afraid 4Sevens was going to send me a couple of pink E01s, but thank goodness he didn't. (One was black and one was olive.) Check it out. It's better than buying an Arc AAA for fifty bucks!

FenixLights.jpg

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01s work so perfectly it's boring. I have zero drama with mine, and they work on nearly dead AAAs that other electronics reject, like my 2 way car alarm pager.

*yawn* so boring, why can't my E01s be a little problematic? ;)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are great little lights indeed, but mounting one to a bicycle? I don't see the point. :) Mount that L2D instead, more light for you, and more light for other people to see you.

Confederate

Enlightened
*yawn* so boring, why can't my E01s be a little problematic?
Ahhh...that's easy. Unscrew the head and place both parts of the light into a microwave oven. Set it for 30 seconds on "high." That should do it. No guarantees, though.

You can use a white or red (or green, yellow, etc) chapstick cap for a diffuser.
Sigh. You don't think I tried that? They're too big. It only works if you fill the cap with ChapStick before you insert the light. Then when you take it out, it's all...well...I'm going to use tee shirts.

They are great little lights indeed, but mounting one to a bicycle? I don't see the point.
You don't? Oh, that must be because I was JOKING! Seriously, I'm getting too old to bike. I fell off in July 2001 and have been on pain meds because of some scar tissue. Pity, because I still have a brand new mountain bike in the basement that I can't sell for anything near what it's worth. Maybe I could trade it for flashlights and batteries. Meanwhile, I've got my E01s. As soon as I find out how to get it to strobe, I'll be in business. The strobe mode should double my "sun mode" and triple my "moon mode." And if you take that seriously, I'm going to go over there and smack you!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sigh. You don't think I tried that? They're too big. It only works if you fill the cap with ChapStick before you insert the light. Then when you take it out, it's all...well...I'm going to use tee shirts.

Must be using the wrong brand, mine (and everyone else's) fits perfectly on the E01 and LOD.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
the little lights are growing on people like some deranged species of fungus. It has on me...er...they have on me.

Yeah. I am covered in eo1 fungus. I just cant get over the whole 11 hours of runtime on a AAA lithium, coin pocket size, easily twisted with one hand, variety of colors, ect....

Mine is blue. The anodizing is perfectly matched on the head and body. The more I think about it, it is all you really need for an EDC.

peace.
Jeff

Confederate

Enlightened
All one needs for an EDC? That's very dangerous talk around here, but you may have something. Nah, who would want an EDC with that kind of runtime, that sucks batteries dry, is that reliable, small and reasonably priced. There would be no reason for this forum to even exist. People would be forced to talk about the weather. It's fascinating that a light this small and easy to carry can do so much, really. In fact, what if cops started using E01s? They'd start finding dead drug dealers in alleys beaten to a pulp, their mouths filled with tiny E01s. One look and the inspector would say, "This looks like an inside police job by rogue cops."

In a few years, goldfish bowls filled with E01s will be selling for 98¢ apiece....

tempman

Newly Enlightened
All one needs for an EDC? That's very dangerous talk around here, but you may have something. Nah, who would want an EDC with that kind of runtime, that sucks batteries dry, is that reliable, small and reasonably priced. There would be no reason for this forum to even exist. People would be forced to talk about the weather. It's fascinating that a light this small and easy to carry can do so much, really. In fact, what if cops started using E01s? They'd start finding dead drug dealers in alleys beaten to a pulp, their mouths filled with tiny E01s. One look and the inspector would say, "This looks like an inside police job by rogue cops."

In a few years, goldfish bowls filled with E01s will be selling for 98¢ apiece....

LOL, my "all you need for EDC" was a little stretched, but definatley a must have as backup edc. It fits coin pockets, and keychains so well. I will still EDC my Nitecore ex-10 as the main light.

QUESTION:
What is the real current draw in the E01. After reading through way to many posts in the original threads, It seems everyone states different numbers.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too love my E01, but sometimes I still miss my E0. It's not as bright of course, but it had such a great beam pattern. Smooth and floody. Some ppl hated the blue-ish tint, but I found it....soothing. I really liked how the E0 looked too, plus it was incredibly small.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how the anodizing holds up on the colored E01s?

I know the black wears off in my pocket with the keys. I like the blue but the olive may look better when it starts to shed its skin (anodizing).

Thanks.

jupello

Enlightened
*yawn* so boring, why can't my E01s be a little problematic? ;)

I had my first problems with it couple days ago when I noticed that the old duracell I had placed in it refused to come out (E01 was still nice and bright with it, but I just wanted to disassemble it for some reason). It was pretty nasty operation to get it out of there since I didn't find any tool that could fit in to grab the battery. I had to bang the tube many times against my desk really hard to get it out..luckily the battery tube wasn't misshapen while doing it, just a small dents on the edge. When I got it out, I noticed that the battery had had swollen and leaked some strange clear sticky stuff. :( But I can not blame the poor old battery for leaking inside my flashlight since it seemed to have expiration date of 2001. :oops::whistle:
Fortunately the tube was easy to clean and now it has almost new "pirkka" alkaline battery that expires 2013. :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with LED-holic here, the E01 is so good, its almost boring, i mean, you dont even get to change batteries for what seems like...ever...:laughing:

Crenshaw

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ofcourse, to those who find the E01 boring, I invite you to buy a maglite solitaire.

Frequent battery changes/charges, frequent lamp replacement, frequent dissassembly of the "do not dissassemble" lamp socket to clean...

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened

I use Carmex caps on my E01s, which are slightly smaller than ChapStick caps.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I'm glad you were joking, haha. However, now I wonder what would happen if someone made a bicycle mount that held some 20 E01's on it. :p

Actually, I find my E01 quite useful as a (backup) bicycle light when I ride in my town, which on the whole, is well lit. It doesn't light up much, but does a good job in me being seen.

For that matter, an E01 with a red LED would make the perfect (backup) rear light ... Maybe 4sevens could make this happen? :D

Kees