What is the smallest budget light that will get me 200+ lumens for 2 hours?

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
I'd really like to stay with either a CR123 battery or a 18650 battery. Does anyone know small lights? What is the smallest budget light that will get me 200+ lumens for 2 hours?

PS- sorry for the dumb question of the day, but what does EDC stand for?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there!

EDC = Every Day Carry :twothumbs

Whats your budget and whatcha need the light for? That makes this a lot easier...

There is a plethora of amazing info on this forum - search for the Fenix TK11 - this might suit your needs. The Fenix can run on your 18650.

Alternately, you may also want to look at a Surefire E2DL.

For a one-cell light it might be tough to get to the 200 lms with 2 hours...

Nos

Enlightened
the L-mini is one of the best regulated 18650 lights. you can have 220 emitter lumens for 1,5h.
http://www.light-reviews.com/l-mini/

at moment the is no edc that can give you 2 hours of 200 lumens, so you need to choose if your torch can be bigger? less outbut? less runtime?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah 200+ for over 2 hours is tough, especially on a budget. I would recommend one of the p7's off Dealextreme, but those aren't that small. So I dont really know. You might have to sacrifice runtime or size.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
200 for 1.5 hours is doable. 2 hours is stretching a bit right now. I consider a "small" light to be in the same size class as an EDC, and 2 cell lights are as big as I'll go. If you consider a 3x123 light small (surefire 9p, C3) then a 3 cell body with something like an M60 drop in will do the trick. If you just want something handheld that's smaller than a D cell maglight then there are some options using 2 and 3 C-cell maglights that will do the trick.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do small, 200-is lumens and 2 hours, but not for cheap. You're going to need to put together a C Li-Ion light. There are not out of the box retail lights like this, only mods.
Alternatively you're going to need to do 2x18500 or 2x18650.
A lumapower MVP might do it on a lower setting. A Wolf Eyes Raider with an R2 will be close to 200 lumens out the front. Likewise a WE Thunder or WE Storm on a lower setting should get you that as well.
An Inova T5 will be close to 200 lumens. This may be the best choice overall for balancing output, price, and performance.

Quality and cheap price are two different things. If you want a good light (in lumens, size and runtime) you're going to have to pay for it.

MS3

Newly Enlightened
I was after roughly the same thing recently and went with the L-mini. Small for a 18650 light, bright with a Q5, cheaper than most ( except maybe a trustfire from DX ).:twothumbs

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Decree from Electrolumens 1, 18650 and 185 lumens. Pretty close to your request.Pretty small and great throw ,it uses an optic.It will give 2 runtime,no heat issues.
  • DeCree

• [*]Mineral Glass lens (hardened glass, 2mm thick, impact and scratch resistant)
      [*]Battery: Li-Ion 18650, rechargable (uses only one battery)
    • 185 lumens, 4,500+ lux
    • Overall length is 4 3/8 inches
    • Diameter of head: 1.211" (Smaller tactical design head)
    • Diameter of body: .986"
    • Weight with battery: 5.8 oz. (Battery not included when flashlight purchased)
    • Weight without battery: 3.2 oz.
    • Run time: 2 hours minimum with 2.5mAh 18650 Li-Ion, or higher capacity
    • Comes standard with Cree XR-E LED.
    • Collimating lens focuses to a 10 degree beam.
    • Twisty on/off/momentary tail cap switch.
http://elektrolumens.com/DeCree/DeCree.html

Last edited:

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
HI guys. Thanks for the info. The lights recommended so far are great lights. Unfortunately, this light needs to be a cheapie because it's going to get some abuse. So, I'm thinking of spending like less than $40 for the light. I did like the L-Mini that someone mentioned earlier, but the fact that it isn't compatible with some rechargeable batteries is a deal breaker.

OK, so 200 lumens at 2hr runtime seems too much for a little EDC light. Maybe, I could get something just a tad bigger and that would fit my budget. Anymore ideas? Oh and it if makes any difference at all, I kinda prefer what most people don't like and that is a nice floody light. I don't like a huge spotlight even if I get incredible throw distance. Flood is in for me.