Anyone remember Mechwarrior2?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
holy crap!

that guy must be infinately wealty! all that stuff would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Catapult

Enlightened
Why just MechWarrior 2? I remember MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, MechCommander 1, 2...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It's not even the year 3,000 yet and someone has already built a Madcat in their garage! It looks awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

So we should expect the Star League rising soon too... Time to save me some C-Bills... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Oh that's just freaking incredible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

My 2 year old loved watching me play Mechwarrior IV and the expansion pack. He referred to it as "Daddy Fall Down?" Those who have played will know exactly when the mech "falls down" sigh.

I've been on board since MechII:Mercs. The Mechcommander games were awesome. I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing IV online. I'd be playing this latest version right now except I refuse to have the CDilla spyware/cpu-cycle-thief that MS insists on inflicting on honest paying customers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Flow

Newly Enlightened
I have MechWarrior on 4 x 5.5" floppys. Not II, III, IV, Mercs, Commander, or otherwise. I even have one of the damn board games, heh. I believe I also have MW: Cresent Hawks Revenge (or some such) on 3.25" floppys somewhere around here. I was 7 or so the first time I played this. Still have most the manual too, hehe.
"For IBM PC, Tandy 1000 and 100% Compatibles."... mad power.
First and last one I played online was MW2, and played Ghost Bears Legacy a lot for single. 3 was the last I played at all.

Might be a good excuse to spend several hours testing out some dos emulators...

Catapult

Enlightened
Remember in MechWarrior 2: Merceneries, in the diary of the character you play, "When I power up, I feel like a god."? I really felt like I was the character! Rain LRM death on waves of unsuspecting Mechs. Then Arrow IV, Gauss Rifle, PPC...

I wonder if those guys would build a real mech? Then I would really own, once I can save enough C-Bills to buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
The single most immersive game experience I ever had was playing Starsiege. I can't talk about Mech games without bringing it up. It was the third in the "Earthsiege" series that started off as just a (very) cheap Mechwarrior rip off. By Starsiege an entire universe complete with history was in place. The game came with a book that gave you the background and Herc (mech) specifics. The between game sequences gave you the option of reading news reports and communications on an internet-like network that made you feel like you were really watching the human race on its last desperate legs. The ingame characterization was similarly excellent.

It was full of nice touches too, in one mission, as things are looking bleak, you defend a base as a fleet of civilians exits the star system in a hope that the human race can continue somewhere after it is wiped out here (which of course doesn't happen thanks to yours truly. You're welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) You never hear anything about the fate of the civilians for the rest of the game and it feels like a loose end, until you find out that these were the folks that show up in the successful Tribes games from the same company and you just took part in their backstory.

Then after playing the full length campaign, you get to play another full length campaign as the attacking aliens, complete with network reports that parallels (often with sinister difference) the network chatter and reports in the human campaign.

The game never got the press I thought it could, and was dwarfed in sales by the successful Tribes franchise and subsequently forgotten by the company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it has a small but loyal fan base who like me think it was one of the great PC games of all time. Kinda like Heavy Gear II. The graphics and system requirements were on par with Mechwarrior III so if you still drive a PC in that range and can find it it warrants a look-see.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I put Mechwarrior2 was because that was the last Mechwarrior I played. I had no idea there was more. It use to run sooo sluggishly on my 66Mhz with 8mb ram.

Ok speaking of old video games, anyone remember Dune II? or Jagged Alliance?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I had forgot about that game, I think? It's the one were you build your machine and have some others go with you when you fight in another world? You can buy all kinds of weapons and so on if you have the money, right?

If so it was the coolest. I would love to play it again. I would probably end up getting board because it wouldn't be so cool in this day and age.

I played the games in the late eighties and early nineties and then quit. I picked it back up in 96 when someone told me about Duke Nuk'em. They said it was kind of like Wolfenstein, (original) Oh my gosh, had games changed since Wolfenstein. I was hooked all over again. A year ago I was given a Tom Clancy Rainbow Six game. Most cool for an old man. I bought the follow on and am ready for the next version. If the next version is anything like his latest book I will hate it.

DD

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever play at the BattleTech center in Chicago? Its a room full of flight simulator type setups for Mechs. Its awesome!

Chris

Catapult

Enlightened
I remember playing a demo involving Hercs about five years back. Didn't catch my interest as much as the MechWarrior franchise. I still play Mechwarrior 2, even though I have all the newer ones. I felt that MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is the best MechWarrior game. It has so many undocumented features that the newer titles seem to lack. The satellite camera, customizable HUD with a large variety of functions, quick look up, down, left, right, more than fifty chassis, thermal optics as standard equipment, I could go on.

I never played Jagged Alliance, but I have Jagged Allicance 2 and the expansion. An excellent combination of war, guns, and humor.

ChrisT, I saw some photos of of those actual Mech simulators years back. Never got the chance to go there. The cost to play in that thing excapes me right now, but I think you could buy a flashlight for every ten minutes that you're strapped to that simulator! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
Flow:
We have an old bonus pack with all three on CD. The two top-down turnbased mechwarriors, and the first-person Mechwarrior.

V8TOYOTATRK:
Jagged Alliance, JA: Deadly Games, JA2, JA2: Unfinished Business, and the re-release of JA2 and JA2:UB. I've got them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember playing Mechwarrior 2! Wow! Long time ago, it seems. I'd take the smallest mech and load it with all the lasers and heatsinks it could carry. One shot would redline the heat but it would kill almost anything it hit. I'll have to dig through my old CDs and see if I can find it again.

Catapult

Enlightened
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, you can take the fastest balanced mech and load it up with a few lasers, even the regular Inner Sphere medium lasers, and still be able to take out the heaviest mech without a scratch to mine. I usually use either the Jenner or Jenner IIC. Running circles around mechs can be so much fun! This takes the fun out of the "in your face combat" though. Funny how the arms usually go first before the torso. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I'd expect that after 3 millenia of technical advances, they'd have decent lights on the mechs. Anyone see what a poor excuse of light are projected from the mechs in MechWarrior 3: Pirate's Moon, and MechWarrior 4? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif And even night vision equipment isn't standard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Oh man, MW2 was so great. I remember playing it for hours. I did have a serious complaint though.

Anyone else remember the campaign that took place on top of that giant block of ice en route to some water-poor planet? The first couple of missions were great, but then you had that one fight in a cave. A very slippery cave. A cave crowded with heavy mechs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I couldn't tell you how many times I had to do that mission. Seriously, what the heck were the programmers thinking? THat was one of the most absurdly difficult things a video game has ever asked me to accomplish!

Blikbok

Enlightened
MY favorite feature of MW2 was the wireframe mode. 'W' would switch into a color-coded wireframe mode reminiscent of the old arcade games of the 80s. It also eased the graphical burden on my old PC when combat got heavy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif