Why all the headlamps output are so low?

NickBose

Enlightened
What's wrong with all the headlamps? While for handheld lights we are talking about 200+ lumens (not counting the SSC P7 lights here) I struggled to find a headlamp with output > 100 lumens.

Is the Energizer e2 the only one that can spits 140 lumens (only in burst mode of 30 seconds I think)? - forget exotic beast like Scurion, I'm not that rich.

I'm using a Zebralight H30-Q5 and while I'm quite happy with it, the output of 80 lumens for a Q5 LED is something I can't understand.

No, I can never understand. Somebody tell me: is it really that hard to get the head of something like this and stick it onto an elastic band with a battery holder somewhere and not selling at a ridiculous price? :thinking:

2787256124_a72f5d3c87_o.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
Heat is the primary concern [if you ever tried to wear a solder gun on your ear you'd understand the nervousness], and heat has a direct relationship with output. In addition, field lighting requires very little especually in total darkness and runtime is often more important than output in these cases.

I wouldn't say ALL headlamps as there are HID headlamps around.:whistle:

EDIT: :grin2:

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
The Petzl Ultra headlamp claims to give 350 lumens but its very expensive. link:
http://flashlightnews.org/story1192.shtml

Don't know why Fenix or Surefire has not made a headlamp version. Would seem
simple. I can imagine a combo flashlight kit that comes with a headband to convert the flashlight into a headlamp. The tube would become a remote battery
pack, wires going up to the headlamp. Just have to unscrew the head from the
tube, add some sort of adaptor for the wires. Not rocket science.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Heat is the primary concern [if you ever tried to wear a solder gun on your ear you'd understand the nervousness], and heat has a direct relationship with output. This goes for both LED and incandescent. In addition, field lighting requires very little especually in total darkness and runtime is often more important than output in these cases.

I wouldn't say ALL headlamps as there are HID headlamps around.:whistle:

It's not as much of a problem with an incan. Other thing I can think of is battery weight and physical size.

Basically.... headlamps are constrained by your head.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Fenix is supposed to be working on a headlamp right now. I'm waiting for specs or the actual lamp to show up.

I'm ready to buy a new one and for me it is a race between Surefire and Fenix to actually bring one to market since I'll probably buy the first one available.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some very powerful LED headlamps by Lupine, Fox fury or Mila. But they are all pretty expensive. Many traditional headlamp manufacturers announced new more powerful models on an Outdoor 2008 exhibition at Friedrichshafen. So the future is bright:)

No, I can never understand. Somebody tell me: is it really that hard to get the head of something like this and stick it onto an elastic band with a battery holder somewhere and not selling at a ridiculous price? :thinking:

What about this one? http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182560

I have one coming from a different dealer. It has only Luxeon III (so only 85 lumens max.) but I will try to upgrade it with SSC P4 U2.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Surefire Saint HL is vaporware ...but it looks very nice and strong. And Batt-Junction says 18 free batteries will ship with it. 1-to-100 lumens dial control (the best feature!).
...I still like the idea of a conversion kit from flashlight to headlamp that would be an option when buying the light.
...and it'd have that gadget factor we at CPF love so dearly!

ifor powell

Enlightened
These are all fairly bright even the hallogens. They are very expensive thought.

P1020165.JPG

As has been said heat is the problem. You need a metal housing to be able to turn the wick up a bit more and the mainstream manufacturers just have not biten the bullet and done it. Even the Petzel Ultra with 360 Lumens is way under the output it should be capable of with 6 leds.

Ifor

hopkins

Enlightened
Hei ifor powell! Wow...that looks like a great store to visit on payday!
...are the battery packs for those monster headlamps hidden under the table because of their large ( I'm not carrying that brick!) size might affect sales ?

nickbose - suspect you've got to come up with the cash for one of those big
monster output headlamps or build your own. Don't know how I'd feel hacksawing the front end off a $100+ Surefire flashlight though...:mecry::mecry::mecry:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking a headlamp is used for close to intermediate ranges and 200 lumens isn't needed at those ranges.Like I've said before you don't need 200 lumens to grab a beer out of the icechest at night while camping.:D

hopkins

Enlightened
oh I agree. For dark adapted eyes a single 5mm LED is all thats needed.
But there are special cases like at that midnight accident scene, with lots of
response vehicles lights blazing and ruining your night vision you need an
equally bright headlamp to see stuff in the shadows.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Minimak 14500 with Nite-ize headband - SSC-P4, Fraen optic, 14500, cutdown minim@g.
Minimak-headband-closeup.jpg

The torch in the OP should also fit the Nite-ize headband. The Fenix L2T/D and P2/3D are fatter but will go into the loop with some pushing. It is preferable to use a 2 cell light as the hot parts are further away from the loop and your head.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
The headlamp is for walking around and using your hands, that other light that should be in your hand is for spotting things... I NEVER use high on my PT apex.

Dung Beetle

Newly Enlightened
Lupine X Betty may be what you looking for, if you got $1100.00 It has an output about 1500 lumens. :candle:

Gretna bikes.com

surfinsmiley

Newly Enlightened
What's wrong with all the headlamps? While for handheld lights we are talking about 200+ lumens (not counting the SSC P7 lights here) I struggled to find a headlamp with output > 100 lumens.

Is the Energizer e2 the only one that can spits 140 lumens (only in burst mode of 30 seconds I think)? - forget exotic beast like Scurion, I'm not that rich.

I'm using a Zebralight H30-Q5 and while I'm quite happy with it, the output of 80 lumens for a Q5 LED is something I can't understand.

I`m hearing ya! I`ve been looking for a high power headlamp at a reasonable price for ages..... They don`t exist and I don`t understand why. Heat sinking is a lame excuse and easily overcome.

One SSC P7 and two 18650`s that`s completely waterproof should be easy to build and meet my needs perfectly. Is it to much to ask? I don`t think so!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Heat sinking is a lame excuse and easily overcome.

Really now? Any exactly how do you propose they overcome the laws of physics to produce a brighter headlamp with either no added heat, or no added mass? With high output, you have two choices. You can either have a very hot, and self-damaging light sitting right on your forehead, or you can hang a big chunk of metal off the front of your forehead for heatsinking. There is a reason most headlamps either use reduced output from the start, or thermal throttling to keep the heat manageable.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, when you're holding the ice axe in one hand and the rope which keeps you from falling off the mountain in the other... there's nothing left to hold a more powerful light with. A high power headlamp is needed now and again. Most of the time a full 500 lumens isn't necissary, however thre are times when it would help so much to have full illumination.

Second, we don't need thermal mass to heatsink the LED, just surface area. Designing a proper heatsink that will fit on the forehead is not a large problem.

The major problem is most manufacturers still seem to have anal-rectal inversions - hence they keep bulding their headlamps out of plastic. Only a couple have made decent aluminum framed lights (like Stenlight). But when there's no significant competition, the prices stay high. And there is little variety to caer to different needs, preferences and uses.

Mark620

Enlightened
I NEVER use high on my PT apex.

Good thing...I have built some battery packs that can actually drive the PT Apex on high for an extended time and they shut down due to heat. After about 15 min they work again....