Konnoc Battery Review

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am new around but I have been reading this forum for over 2 years now. I just registered though.

In any case I noticed that there is not much info on the net about Konnoc batteries which are really cheap. I am a big fan of Sanyo and its LSD product line more recently, however I bought some sets of Konnoc AAA 700 mAh which so far seem to be good batteries. I need to make a few capacity tests on my LaCrosse BC700 and provide results here. One thing I noticed is that they seem to keep charge and have a low self discharge rate. I suspected this was true by measuring it's open circuit voltage, however now that I have my new LaCrosse I will do a few tests.

In order to provide results I would need you to tell me good standard tests, like for example charging rate, idle time, etc.
So far I intend to charge them at 0.5A (again these AAAs are rated at 700 mAh) and then discharge at 0.25 A
Then I would like to leave it sitting for some time and run a Test on the battery analizer.
Maybe you can suggest a few good idle times after batteries have been charged in order to maximize results reliability.

Looking forward to sharing results with you!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott:welcome:

I tried Konnoc batteries a while back and found them a poor choice. Perhaps the QC has improved?

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
TONY,

I think so, but again I have only tried the AAA 700 mAh model. I bought a couple of them just for curiosity, since I have some sanyos 900 and 800 and a pair of Eneloops.

What impresses me most about them is that they hold charge much better than Sanyo 1000 and Sanyo 900 (AAA sizes). I did 3 tests already on them and one gave me 629 mAh, another 722 mAh, and the 3rd one 810 mAh.
These are rather odd results but these 3 pieces have not been cycled more than 3 times so maybe they need a few more cycles.

Also it's possible like with any brand that their low cap products hold charge better than high cap batteries. Maybe Konnoc is not as good as Sanyo or any other major brand but so far THIS product in particular has shown some good results like the ones I described above.

I paid for them as much as would have paid for an alkaline to it was worth trying!

Can you recommend some good tests to perform with the BC700?

Thanks!

Last edited:

shadowjk

Enlightened
In my experience most nimh batteries keep adequate charge for atleast a month or two when new...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Scott1981,

The standard for determining battery capacity involves charging at 0.1C for 16 hours, letting the cell rest off the charger for 1 - 4 hours, then discharging at 0.2C.

Using your 700 mAh cells as an example, you would charge at 70 mA and discharge at 140 mA.

You can charge and discharge at different rates to see how well different cells will perform in different applications, but usually the capacity will be a little different from the labeled capacity. In some cases, the company making up the label for the battery puts whatever number on it that they think will sell and their label has no basis in reality.

To check your cells on the C700, you can probably charge at 500 mA and let the cells continue to trickle charge for a couple of hours after the end of the charge. Then remove the cells from the charger and let them sit for an hour. Then put them back into the charger and do a discharge at a rate close to 140 mA.

The spread in capacities that you measured is of some concern. Usually cells will test a lot closer than that. If this spread continues, it indicates a quality issue with your cells.

Tom

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I did a few more tests (BC700 Refresh cycling at 700mAh charge and 350mAh discharge rates) during the weekend and again I came to the same conclusions. I even found a few batteries in the 500-600 mAh range! Well I can see why they are so cheap. Luckily I own a few Sanyo's 800 mAh and Eneloops as well. Since they were selling at the same price of an Alkaline, I thought that I would like to give them a try. In any case they may come in handy for low power applications like TV remote, clocks, etc. Provided I charge themup every 2 or 3 months I am fine with it. They are certainly not a good choice for high drain applications. But again I will have to continue testing them. I will buy a new set of 4 this week and post results here.

Please feel free to continue posting your comments and or experiences about this brand.

Thanks!

Last edited:

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
Oops! one more thing. I tested my newly bought Eneloop AAA (that is 3 weeks old and has been recharged for 7-8 times I guess), and it keeps hitting the 800+ mAh range (around 810-811).

Silver Fox, is this a good example where a manufacturer labels the "actual" capacity of a cell?

Is the BC-700 reliable enough in the "Test" and "Refresh" modes? Is the BC9000 a more reliable analyzer?

Thanks,

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops do reliably achieve their labeled capacity, so you can almost certainly believe the 800+ measurement. It is very rare to get a bad one.

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
I keep getting odd results with batteries in the 700+ range and some others in the 600+ range. Well I guess that if you buy a batch it is only a matter of picking up those that have 700+ mah!

I am beginning to think that these cells may not be god for high drain use, only for remotes, clocks or not so important tasks.

I have had them for 4-6 months. Would it make any sense to refresh them?

Also, besides Eneloops, are there any other good and known (by users who had them) AAA cells?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, besides Eneloops, are there any other good and known (by users who had them) AAA cells?
I picked up a few Kodak Pre-Charged in the AAA size and they tested well -- the capacity was consistent between cells and matched the claim on the label. I have no idea if they are available where you are though.