windows mail and outlook with vista premium

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am on the new comp now and am trying to get email up, as per the below paragraph, which was derived from windows mail, i dont see how i can import my stuff from out look, i was going to download out look but the tech at my work said outlook and vista really should not hang together. what do i do to get my email running. I was not prompted to do anything when i clicked email, which is also stated in the below paragraph

If you're upgrading from Outlook Express, Windows Mail can import your existing account information and e-mail addresses. The first time you start Windows Mail, you will be prompted to set up an e-mail account. If you skip this step and want to set up a new account later, click the Tools menu, click Accounts, and then click Add

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I have helped several people set up email in vista & the following is the best way to go about it.

1) Download Thunderbird

2) Install Thunderbird

3) Configure Thunderbird

4) Send & Receive Emails

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have helped several people set up email in vista & the following is the best way to go about it.

1) Download Firefox

2) Install Firefox

3) Configure Firefox

4) Send & Receive Emails

I and from what I can find out, Firefox does not have a native email client. You must configure it to work with the existing client.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. The Mozilla email application is called Thunderbird.
The next question would be how easily does it import existing Outlook information since this was the reason for the original question.
"import my stuff from out look"

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thunderbird on install should just suck everything from Outlook into T'Bird automatically--including your account information (will ask if you want to do the import first).

And, it will not change Outlook at all (does not disable, delete, or prevent Outlook from functioning).

I have used MozBackup as a relatively easy way to backup and move email between installations (oh--for the good old days of Eudora and just copying the .mbox--or whatever their name--to backup/move emails)...

-Bill