Fixing an OLD (10+ years) Surefire 6P

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old Surefire 6P, probably 10-15 years. Haven't been using it for a long time since its a battery eater, but thinking about upgrading to a LED module. The lens on my bezel is partially melted and discolored. Is it possible to change this lens out? I understand they are now made of glass/pyrex. I can't figure out how it would be removed (short of breaking it) to be replaced.

Retinator

Enlightened
I'd call Surefire 1st and see what they can do.

They'll probably just send you a new bezel which now uses the pyrex window.

And there are plenty of LED drop ins out there. See sticky at top of forum index.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an old Surefire 6P, probably 10-15 years. Haven't been using it for a long time since its a battery eater, but thinking about upgrading to a LED module. The lens on my bezel is partially melted and discolored. Is it possible to change this lens out? I understand they are now made of glass/pyrex. I can't figure out how it would be removed (short of breaking it) to be replaced.

Sounds like the old 6Z (circa 1995) that I have. The lens is lexan and they still have replacements. The lens is "press fit" and snaps into place. The replacement lens will include instructions on how to "pop" out the old one and snap in the new one. I doubt if they'll send you a new bezel but if they do let us know about it here please.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
They used to send me replacement lexan windows for my 6Z until they finally got tired of replacing it and they shipped me (as a warranty part, free) a new bezel with a pyrex window. Tell them you're using it with a P60L LED replacement and I think they'll go right ahead and send you a pyrex replacement bezel.

You can read a lot of talk about how other LED drop-ins are better, but I've got a couple of the SureFire P60L units and I'm very happy with lumens, beam and runtime. I'd recommend them highly.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Another option (if you dont get a new bezel from SF) is to get an aftermarket bezel (from lighthound for example). Not sure if you are a fan of those strike bezels but you can easily unscrew the crenelations to gain acces to the lens. I have one, its a glass lens I think, but you could easliy put in another lens!
Its well made and fits perfectly.....

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a friendly PM suggesting that I send my light back to SureFire and that they would replace it. That's probably right, but...

1. I'm not the OP! :D

2. My 6Z has been literally rebuilt several times by SF under warranty. The only thing that's original is the body tube. The tailcap has been replaced due to impact damage several times. I went through probably half a dozen or more lexan windows before SF sent me a pyrex-equipped bezel. Replaced the bulb several times and it now has a P60L. Why bother? Well, the body tube has been an EDC for a decade or more and I kinda like the round tube (no longer available) and it's kinda become a part of me in what I consider a very important performance loop backed up by a lot of training...lots of neural grooving through repetition. I don't want to replace it, and the OP might feel the same way...

Size15's

Flashaholic
They used to send me replacement lexan windows for my 6Z until they finally got tired of replacing it and they shipped me (as a warranty part, free) a new bezel with a pyrex window. Tell them you're using it with a P60L LED replacement and I think they'll go right ahead and send you a pyrex replacement bezel.
The P60L LED lamp assembly does not need a glass window - SureFire may send a Z17 Lexan replacement kit.
However, if you don't mention LEDs then I think it's more likely they'll send you a Z44-BK replacement bezel.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify the chronology, SF sent the replacement bezel long before I added the P60L.

I know that many here will say that the P60 can be run indefinitely under a lexan window with no issues, but I repeatedly had the lexan windows turn to a mottled orange-peel sort of surface. I still have the original bezel, which I greatly prefer to the hex-headed bezel. I hadn't thought about going back to that after replacing the P60 with the P60L, but that would be a great change! :thumbsup:

I also want to take this opportunity say point out that while SF may occasionally have customer service glitches, as any enterprise can, as far as I am concerned they are the gold standard for stand-up/stand-behind service, and that's a big reason I keep buying SF lights in preference to other products.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also want to take this opportunity say point out that while SF may occasionally have customer service glitches, as any enterprise can, as far as I am concerned they are the gold standard for stand-up/stand-behind service, and that's a big reason I keep buying SF lights in preference to other products.

Ditto that. They truly stand behind their product and I will continue to support them despite my (very few) gripes with what they're doing lately on their specsmanship.