a stock mini mag w/ led and 3d/4d mag ?'s

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
this would be a back up flashlight for when i am under houses. i use a streamlight 20 something and its starting to crap out, the light comes on and off, when i goes off i bang it up against the foundation wall and it comes back on. so its not reliable enough for me to not have a backup with me.

next..

i have a 3d mag with the stock bulb ( krypton?, not the magna bulb ) is it worth it to put in the 3w maglite led? i have seen them for ~18 bones at lowes. i am also wanting to pick up a 4d mag, should i go with the mag lite led or the magna bulb. i am wanting it to be BRIGHT but i dont want to go BROKE !!!

thanks in advance!!!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
this would be a back up flashlight for when i am under houses. i use a streamlight 20 something and its starting to crap out, the light comes on and off, when i goes off i bang it up against the foundation wall and it comes back on. so its not reliable enough for me to not have a backup with me.

next..

i have a 3d mag with the stock bulb ( krypton?, not the magna bulb ) is it worth it to put in the 3w maglite led? i have seen them for ~18 bones at lowes. i am also wanting to pick up a 4d mag, should i go with the mag lite led or the magna bulb. i am wanting it to be BRIGHT but i dont want to go BROKE !!!

thanks in advance!!!

There was a thread here about the drivers in the magleds. I think they can be modified for more current via resistor swap. Terralux is another option.
Or... a Malkoff...:devil:

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
There was a thread here about the drivers in the magleds. I think they can be modified for more current via resistor swap. Terralux is another option.
Or... a Malkoff...:devil:

i think i remember hearing something about the Malkoff, but i also remember its $$. i have seen the Terralux on ebay for ~25 shipped. is this a good deal? are they worth the price? i dont want to buy a POS. i have seen the Terralux on ebay for the 2aa and 3/4d mags. just wondering

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i remember hearing something about the Malkoff, but i also remember its $$. i have seen the Terralux on ebay for ~25 shipped. is this a good deal? are they worth the price? i dont want to buy a POS. i have seen the Terralux on ebay for the 2aa and 3/4d mags. just wondering

I would use this site instead.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

The service is very good. And probably a just a bit more reliable than Ebay.:whistle:

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I would use this site instead.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

The service is very good. And probably a just a bit more reliable than Ebay.:whistle:

cool, thanks. should i buy a regular mini and 4d and just upgrade to the terrlux or is the stock led in the mags good? the 4d will be the bedside light, and used for tater knockin should someone want to wake me up when i am not ready to get up. the 3d will ge a general purpose light and the 2aa mini will be my backup that i carry everyday and use for when i dont feel like carrying the streamlight ( or when i forget to get it out of the truck )

edit:

i like this for the mini http://www.batteryjunction.com/niizeiqswupy.html but my question is do i have to click through all the modes to turn it off? like when i turn it on, will i have to click the switch many times to turn the light off??

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magled is luxeon. The efficiency is not as good as the seoul, the luxeon basically uses more of the available power to make heat rather than light. I forget the options available for the mini-mag. looks like mostly lux anyways. the mini mag led might be fun to mess with. I'll look around for the driver-modding thread.

as for the Iq switch. I've never used one personally. With that sort of interface though, typically if you switch the light into a particular mode and then leave it on for a few seconds the next click will turn the light off. I guess thats the easiest way to explain it.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
The magled is luxeon. The efficiency is not as good as the seoul, the luxeon basically uses more of the available power to make heat rather than light. I forget the options available for the mini-mag. looks like mostly lux anyways. the mini mag led might be fun to mess with. I'll look around for the driver-modding thread.

as for the Iq switch. I've never used one personally. With that sort of interface though, typically if you switch the light into a particular mode and then leave it on for a few seconds the next click will turn the light off. I guess thats the easiest way to explain it.

so it sounds like it would be better to just buy a regular ican mini and an ican 4d and upgrade to the terralux for both, including the special switch for the mini you linked me.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Remember that there is a different part for 4-6 cells

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Make sure to check the packaging when it arrives. They both (2-3cell, and 4-6 cell) look very similar.

yeah, i saw that. right now i have a 100$+ shopping cart at that website. im sure i can eliminate some things as i learn/get questions answered.

how is this website ( the batteryjunction you linked ) are they honest people? is shipping times reasonable?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
so it sounds like it would be better to just buy a regular ican mini and an ican 4d and upgrade to the terralux for both, including the special switch for the mini you linked me.

I would say get the 4D and upgrade it, but get something other than minimag, because a high power LED does not do well inside one due to lack of heatsinking.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
also will regular alkaline batteries work good with these leds? or should i go for the e2 lithium batteries? i have had real good luck with the e2 batteries in my digicam, the damn things last forever!

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I would say get the 4D and upgrade it, but get something other than minimag, because a high power LED does not do well inside one due to lack of heatsinking.

check out my other thread asking about the mini and another light, let me know what you think.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it appears you use AA for camera as well, I would suggest get rechargeable cells like eneloop, they last almost as long as lithium on each charge and well, rechargeable.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Since it appears you use AA for camera as well, I would suggest get rechargeable cells like eneloop, they last almost as long as lithium on each charge and well, rechargeable.

ok, i will look into those. i love the e2's because they last so damn long. but they aint cheap. 10 bones for 4 in aa

i am seeing 800 and 2000 batteries for the eneloop, which ones will i need for the flashlight and camera?

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i saw that. right now i have a 100$+ shopping cart at that website. im sure i can eliminate some things as i learn/get questions answered.

how is this website ( the batteryjunction you linked ) are they honest people? is shipping times reasonable?

MattK runs the site and posts regularly here. The shipping is good and he is extremely reasonable. Some might say un-reasonable, that's how good the customer service is. It's easily the best I've ever encountered.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
MattK runs the site and posts regularly here. The shipping is good and he is extremely reasonable. Some might say un-reasonable, that's how good the customer service is. It's easily the best I've ever encountered.

ok, cool, thanks. i will be placing an order soon one i finally decide on what i want. and to think i was about to run to lowes to get new flashlights.....

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, cool, thanks. i will be placing an order soon one i finally decide on what i want. and to think i was about to run to lowes to get new flashlights.....

I was there earlier today. 5 dollar 2 pack surefire cr123s:thumbsup: No Cree taskforce though, just 1 lonely luxeon model. They don't have too bad a selection though. Mag, Coast, and Surefire, It's like flashlight heaven compared to most b&m stores.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
c

edit:

i like this for the mini http://www.batteryjunction.com/niizeiqswupy.html but my question is do i have to click through all the modes to turn it off? like when i turn it on, will i have to click the switch many times to turn the light off??

Only one click will turn the light off. Mine flickers after about 10 or 15 minutes of constant on. But maybe I just need to Deox the contacts.

Also, if you want a fairly bright Mag AA get the 3XAA version It's much brighter than the 2XAA Mag light.
And the 3X D cell Led Mag light Is a great and bright bed side light. It'l blind someone and its good for a blunt weapon if needed. :eek: