Wicked Laser torch

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, got to fondle one at the lan party tonight - I had my ROP in my laptop bag, and someone had a Torch manual lying out. He made the mistake of getting into a pissing contest with what he thought was a stock 2D Mag.

:grin2:

Complete with the "Hold out your hand" test. I lit mine up, and homebrew suddenly got some respect. I'll admit, the ROP didn't burn a hole in a Subway wrapper, but it out-threw the $300 turnkey thing, which suffered from fixed focus and a smooth reflector --- it's all flood past three feet! It out-threw the Torch rather handily, actually and all I have is a Kai MOP small-opening reflector focused to a Surefire circle. Not *quite* the cheapest ROP build possible, but no luxury parts and it wasn't built as a thrower.

I'm also a little disappointed in the fit-and-finish on the Torch - the machined grooves on the head were sharp enough to shave fingernails and a little too deep.

It also looked like a walking "sue-me" sign aimed at Mag Instruments and I was disappointed by the reverse clicky tailcap. It really feels like a bragging-rights cannon, not a piece of functional kit. I shudder to think what a Beast would do to it, and I have a sneaking suspicion it'd be outthrown by a stock M6 HOLA.

BTW - would have posted it in a previous thread, but the only one I found was already closed.

Illum

Flashaholic
What kind of LAN party was this? Last time I was at a sponsored event, I don't remember anyone bringing flashlights.

all gamers should have something along the lines of a flashlight if they decide to pull an all-nighter with no lights on. I've been to one where some poor do0ds PC got shorted somehow and NO ONE flicked on the lights, thank god for the A2 aviator:whistle:

well, the torch's intentions is not pursuing the aesthetics of machining perfection...its something mocked up pretty much just to exploit Mac's torch's ability to start fires.... I wonder why its fixed focus was on flood though...wouldn't spot burn more readily?:ohgeez:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, only category I actually won was the throwathon (I'm sure there were some very puzzled people in the apartment complex after that), though I was playing in the same league. But it was kinda funny... they thought I had found the torch when they saw the maglite on the table. ^_^

Edit: oh, private party.

Last edited:

Meltdown

Enlightened
the SF beast doesn't throw very well either and it's waaaaaaaay more expensive.

thanks for the warning...glad I didn't bone up for the wicked product.

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
I thought the Wicked Lasers Torch put out 4100L... ROP is more like 700-800L. That bulb if I'm not mistaken is the Osram 64623?

Illum

Flashaholic
I thought the Wicked Lasers Torch put out 4100L... ROP is more like 700-800L. That bulb if I'm not mistaken is the Osram 64623?

yes yes and yes
If I understand you correctly, lumen ratings display the total output of the light, regardless of whether its flood or spot.

a 500 lumen lamp set at spot focus [Surefire M6] can out throw the mag85 [~1000 Lumens] set at flood the same way the ROP set on spot can out throw the 64623 set at flood. It just depends on what you do with the light, not how many lumens you have that matters.

Dr Phil Panter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Are we talking about a that torch that delivers 4100 lumens and can set fire to paper.

As a client of mine brought his around to show me, once the novelty wore off, one was left with pondering what practical use other than posing the torch offered.

It only has, if my memory severs me correct, 15 minutes of useful runtime.

When you consider the cost, lighting a cigarette although novel with a torch is cheaper with a match.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm just trying to figure out how it was determined that a ROP out threw a Torch with a smooth reflector? Hope I understood that correctly from the OP. :confused:

I can only suspect that the battery was at a low level because 700 lumens with a MOP reflector should never seem impressive when compared to a 64623 with a smooth reflector. It just doesn't add up. My smooth 64623 wasn't even being fair to my ROP high when used next to each other.

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
I can only suspect that the battery was at a low level because 700 lumens with a MOP reflector should never seem impressive when compared to a 64623 with a smooth reflector. It just doesn't add up. My smooth 64623 wasn't even being fair to my ROP high when used next to each other.

THat would be my suspicion too. It's not even comparable even when I light up my 64623 on a pretty wide focus vs my 1185 on spot... both being on a 10.8V pack.

Also, that wicked lasers torch must have a really terrible focus set point.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just trying to figure out how it was determined that a ROP out threw a Torch with a smooth reflector? Hope I understood that correctly from the OP. :confused:

My ROP hi was running a Fivemega pack on fresh if not hot-off-the-charger Eneloops with a minor resistance fix or two. It was then carefully focused at home to a Surefire style tight spot using a Kaidomain MOP reflector and thrown in my gear bag just in case. Then when the Torch manual was found, the Torch was nearby, and the proud owner and I went up on the balcony and blasted the parking lot. I will not argue that the Torch is brighter - it lit the entire parking lot dimly, much as a streetlight would. The ROP however managed to put a hot spot that was unmistakably visibly brighter than the Torch on an area about the size of two parking spaces. Going by the old rule of thumb, I'd guess at least double the lux in the ROP's hot spot.

Also, that wicked lasers torch must have a really terrible focus set point.

Basically, you hit the nail on the head. I suspect the Torch is LOP, and focused between six inches and three feet from the head to enhance the lightsaber effect it has on small flammable objects at that range.