2008 E2L / KX2 Tint = Green (Really Green)?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new 2-stage E2L (KX2 bezel). The beam is great but the tint is really green. Is this common? I'm not very fussy about this kind of thing, but this one is really noticeable.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to that - just got one last week and and the LOW is incredibly green. Not so much the HIGH...

Chao

Enlightened
I have two, one has greenish tint, the other is warm white.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
not KX2, but my old Gerber LX1 does have a greenish tint to it. works well for illuminating foliage.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I, too, have found the greenish tints to be really nice outdoors. If you mainly use it indoors, tho, or if it is bad enough to really bother you then do like Size15's said and call up SF...........they'll take care of you. I'd wait maybe a week and see if it grows on you (no pun intended) first

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not satisfied I suggest you call SureFire and arrange to have it returned and replaced.

Probably a stupid question, but would they really do that? I'm not a whitewall kinda flashlight user. And, no one has higher regard for SF's customer service than I do...this feels to me like a chickens__t reason to request a return/exchange???

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, have found the greenish tints to be really nice outdoors. If you mainly use it indoors, tho, or if it is bad enough to really bother you then do like Size15's said and call up SF...........they'll take care of you. I'd wait maybe a week and see if it grows on you (no pun intended) first

Worthwhile suggestion - thanks, I'll use it a bit more and see if it, err, grows on me. ;)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Probably a stupid question, but would they really do that?
They want their customers to be satisfied with their products?
CPF members have arranged replacements in the past due to dissatisfactions regarding tint.

Anyway, there's no harm in asking. It's a toll-free number as well I believe.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might as well try calling. SureFire is more responsive over the phone. It's possible they will just send you a new head.

Illum

Flashaholic
If your intentions of the light is mainly outdoors, then I'd stay with it! Green tint LEDs light up [as mentioned previously] green foliage better than white tint LEDs.

now Blue tinted LEDs is a problem, inside or out...at least to me :ohgeez:

BBL

Enlightened
With all the blue-tinted lights, i wish back the 'rotten cat urine green' tint.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the green is because of the phosphor changing more of the blue light(proportion wise) from the die then at higher powers.

It seems normal and I wouldn't worry about it. Call Surefire if you really have a problem with the tint.

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
As other have said, just call Surefire if your not satisfied. But personally I don't mind green, my boss' L5 has a green tint but I found it not bothersome at all.

I find purplish and blue tints far more bothersome than a greenish one, but that is just me.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't really bother me at all - I was more just amazed at how green the tint is especially compared to my other lights.

I actually sort of like the green tint on the LOW because it appears dimmer to me which is a plus - about 50% of the time I wish my Surefires had a lower low than the 3, 5, or 10 lumens...

The HIGH on my E2L has no real green tint.

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I don't like any greenish tint at all, while I can sort of tolerate a slightly bluish tint. But I wonder whether this isn't due to a prejudice ensconced in my mind since reading the term "rotten cat urine green" in the early days of the Luxeon LED's.

Incidentally, what does "warm" mean in reference to LED tint? I have heard yellow, red and green all described as "warm".

H2Orower

Enlightened
I've had similar tint issues with my E2L. I bought mine last year with the KX2 45lumen single output head. Sometime after that, I puchased the new KX2 dual output (3/60) head and upgraded my E2L. I noticed right away that both my KX2 heads were not as pure white as my L1 or E1B. I called Surefire and expressed my desire for whiter KX2 heads and they took both of them back and sent me two dual output KX2s as replacements. Both replacements were an improvement in whiteness over my originals, although one has a real crappy, ringy beam. I now wish I had kept my 45lumen single output head as it was. As someone said, the color issue isn't very apparent until you use it side by side with another light.