(New Data p2)BeamShots Comparison Malkoff Triple Drop-M60/M60F +more Flashlights

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
BeamShots Comparison Malkoff Triple Drop many more Flashlights

I decided to try a better approach to comparing various flashlights than just in an open rectangular space shooting range. Here I have 5 color image targets in my back yard. Some are trying to hide. I am approximately 55 feet back from the fence shown as the backdrop. All photos were taken with manual exposure mode of F2.8 and 1 second.

Flashlights were set on a table very close to camera tripod to the right and lower than the camera's point of view by about 2 feet.

malkoffm60lcqb8.jpg

This is the Malkoff M60 L. All photos will have flashlight pointing at target behind the tree.

lhsolarforcer2cbjk2.jpg

This is the Solarforce Cree R2 single mode in the Solarforce L2 Host. Measured at over 200 lumens.

lighthoundq5cbkr1.jpg

This is the Lighthound Cree Q5 running direct drive (drive circuit removed) off of a 17670 battery over 1.1 Amp. In Solarforce L2 host.

fenixt1cbkt2.jpg

This is the Fenix T1, with over 220 actual measured lumens, which is still a very good light to have. Notice how it has a lot of useable light in the spill. What's that over to the right???

malkoffm60cbst2.jpg

This is the Malkoff M60 in a Solarforce L2 host. Measured in this host at over 210 lumens.

malkoffm60floodcbrc8.jpg

This is the Malkoff M60F (flood) also in a Solarforce L2 host. Very nice beam pattern in my opinion. Measured at 202 Lumens.

malktripledrop03diffcbes6.jpg

Now we come to the Malkoff Triple Drop in a 3C Maglight using an Ultraclear (AR coated) lens. Now we can see the guy on the right very well. Measured by precision works to be over 720 lumens. :twothumbs

malktripledrop1of3diffchi3.jpg

This is the Malkoff Triple drop with a diffuser over 1 of the 3 individual reflectors to soften the beam.

malktripledrop2of3diffcfq8.jpg

This is the Malkoff triple drop with diffusers over 2 of the 3 individual reflectors.

malktripledrop3of3diffcqv7.jpg

This is the Malkoff triple drop with diffusers over all 3 reflectors. The partial diffusers were made from a plastic sheet from a 2 liter soda bottle (polyethylene???) sanded down with 320 grit paper on one side only. The full diffuser was the original maglight plastic lens sanded with 320 grit paper on one side only.

Compare these photos to the Malkoff M60F unit. Notice how there is far more light in the spill area even with the loss of light from the diffuser.

Once again I must state that the photos don't do the real image justice. I could see very clearly everything and everyone in the backyard using the Malkoff Triple Drop even with a full diffuser over all 3 LED reflectors.

The targets images are 22 inches across and 35 inch tall. The span across the backyard from the red fence on the left to the back wall of the house is 23 feet.

The Malkoff triple in a 3C flashlight makes for a very handy floody searchlight that is a good size platform to rest a handgun into.

I don't have any one's P7 conversion for a maglight to compare to. I believe that this is a useful comparison of various 200 Plus Lumens light sources, (with the one exception of the M60L) with spot versus flood type outputs and then the triple drop which is a floody type light with a hot spot.

I hope this helps.

This is a carry over of the Malkoff M60F good for indoor search use? thread. shown here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=201722&page=2

Since this is an outdoor set of photos and a comparison to the new triple drop I thought it would be better to have its own thread. But the whole idea is being able to determine if you can see something useful.

Unfortunately all of the targets are just slightly out of focus. Operator error and limited resolution looking at the LCD display of a low budget (borrowed) digital camera. Hope this helps, G

Last edited:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Re: BeamShots Comparison of Malkoff Triple Drop to M60, M60F and other Flashlights

WOW. Thanks for the Beamshots. I really need to get that triple from Gene.

oronocova

Enlightened
Re: BeamShots Comparison of Malkoff Triple Drop to M60, M60F and other Flashlights

Thanks for the comparisons. I have the SolarForce R2 5-mode, assuming it is relatively the same as the single mode in ouput, the M60 has an impressive advantage. I also really like the difference the Fenix T1 shows. I think I might try to get a T1 or M60 next. I have been looking at both but really did wonder how they compared to what I have. Now I know.
My wife would kill me if I forked out the money for that triple, it is awesome however.

Thanks for your work,
Jon

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oronacova, I hate to tell you the bad news but I had 2 of the 5 mode R2 units. Measured their output on the integration sphere at work along with the various single mode R2 models I have had (sold several to friends of course and gave one away to precisionworks). The 5 mode unit is not as bright. The best I have gotten out of a 5 mode R2 unit was 160 lumens. The best I have gotten out of a R2 single mode unit is 220 lumens. I am guessing that they have to run it at less current to get the 5 mode controller chip to work right or survive or something. The single mode R2 is much brighter. I gave my last 5 mode unit to precisionworks after I measured it very thoroughly so he could have it as a calibrated reference for his own integration sphere reference unit. The Fenix T1 will be much brigher than the 5 mode unit you have, it if was anything like the ones I had.

You will be happy with the Malkoff units, I love all of mine. :D

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened

Good beam shots that mean something. Much better than looking at a wall. Thanks

Gene43

Enlightened

Wow! Thanks for posting the beamshots. I appreciate the comparisons.

Gene

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks for posting the beamshots. I appreciate the comparisons.

Gene

A: Your welcome
B: Good work deserves ... more good work.
C: Feel free to link to this thread from your product pages of your website (if that is permissible) and use it.

Not that its relevant to the issue of beam pattern but I have dropped my Solarforce L2 hosts off of my mountain bike several times already on hard concrete with the M60 and M60F heads in them due to less than optimum flashlight holders (they have been further tweaked for better grip). This has been dinging up the housings of the flashlights but the LED modules just keep going strong, which I cannot say for some other name brand items which I shall not mention.

oronocova

Enlightened

Mrgman, Thanks for the info there. I am pretty impressed with the 5-mode but it sounds like I'd be even more impressed with the M60 or T1. I think I'll have to wait for the M60 to go into mass production as every time I think I can get one they are gone. That's ok though, it is just a testament to how good they are and how well they are liked.
-Jon

Ninjaz7

Enlightened

My m60 in a G2Z host is my favorite grabber...from light up your backyard to blast my way to the kitchen,let alone camping or tactical.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Nice work, MrGman:D

The M60 has the nicest mix of throw & spill of any small head (2x123) light that I've seen. Tough as nails, too.

I don't have any one's P7 conversion for a maglight to compare to.
I'll send my Mac's Customs P7 if that would help.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been on a secret mission for Gene. He called me a couple weeks ago and wanted me to test out a new special holographic filter. Pattern cut into it with laser. Makes a rectangular beam pattern. Narrow in one axis and very wide in the other. Very strong in the hot spot across the beam with a lot of spill. Intended for use with the Triple drop but there are other applications.

So I said I would be happy to test it, got it last Friday and started my evaluation. Tonight I was able to get comparative beamshots.

triple2sf5nc8.jpg

Malkoff Triple drop in 4C maglight no filter, F5.0 2 sec

triplewide2sf5yq9.jpg

This is the triple drop with the filter installed. If I am reading it right its called the 30 degree X 5 degree beam pattern. Still F5.0 for 2 seconds. Same exposure level as the previous shot. Also I am very close to the original position near the fenceline that I was for the previous series of shots.

triple06f8au3.jpg

This the original "raw" output Triple drop at about 11 feet to the back wall of my house with 3 "friends" looking to see the light. Since I am closer I changed the exposure to F8 and 0.6 seconds.

triplewide06f8cm6.jpg

This is the triple drop with the 30 deg X 5 deg filter installed, still at F8.0 for 0.6 seconds. Compare this only to previous photo.

Once again I must point out that the beam shots do not do the real view of the scene justice in regards to contrast and what the human eye can see. I turned down the exposure to get a sense of the contrast here, but to the eye I could see all with and without the filter. The filter does smooth out the beam in the horizontal axis and made the narrow strip across look beautifully clear, less glare and central hotspot.

I will let Gene address his plans for the filter material. He also had another one that was even more narrower in profile pattern than this. I thought it was too narrow for this application. This one works out very well.

More to come.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought a comparison of the original Malkoff M60 and M60F at this closer distance to the wall with the "three amigos" would be a good comparison. So here they are at the same exposure level, F8.0 and 0.6 second to compare to the triple drop shown in previous post.

m6006f8zi7.jpg

So this is the original Malkoff M60. Since the exposure level was dialed in for the triple drop of previous post this looks dark by comparison but of course I could see all 3 amigo's very well. The camera exposure simply shows there is a lot less photons here than with the triple.

m60f06f8gw6.jpg

This is the Malkoff M60F (flood) being compared at the same F8.0 for 0.6 sec at this same new distance. as the previous 3 photos.

Again the photos don't do what I really saw justice. In this case these last 2 are darker than what I would have normally done to show how much brighter the triple drop is by comparing the 4 photos all at one manual exposure level.

There will be more to come but its 01:38 and the pillow is calling me.

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Re: (More Pics) BeamShots Comparison of Malkoff Triple Drop-M60/M60F +more Flashlight

I just got my M60 today and was pretty set on returning it for an M60L but after trying it, not anymore! :wave:

But wow I need to get me an M60F also. I'm gunna need more 6P bodies :eek:oo:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: (More Pics) BeamShots Comparison of Malkoff Triple Drop-M60/M60F +more Flashlight

You can always go with the Solarforce hosts and save money. The reverse clicky works very well. I only have 5 of them so far. Then you can get the extension tubes and run the lights with 2 X 17500 for better run time and Guilt Free Lumens (GFL) from rechargeable batteries that actually run for a couple of hours +.

nismotor

Newly Enlightened

Thanks a lot MrGman, you just saved me a bunch on $$. i was going back and forth as to which M60 unit was better suited for me, but now I know exactly which Malkoff unit I really want!

I'm just curious to see the M60FL now.... hehe

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great comparisons. This shows how important sidespill is in some applications.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

MrGman, have you tried out Gene's diffusion material on the M60? Be nice to compare it to M60F.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome pics.

I cannot wait for my 9P to show up so I can try the M60 module.

It seems M60 is a lot brighter than M60F, due to the tight spot (I know it's an illusion).

SnWnMe

Enlightened

If I were to investigate a bump in the night or were trundling in a dark forest, the F would be perfect.

The regular M60 is perfect for critical examination of objects. It really reveals flaws and discrepancies.