Z2 Bezel Down Clip

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Please help me locate or design a clip to fit between the tailcap and battery tube of the Z2. I would occasionally like to carry the light bezel down in the long pocket on the right leg of carpenter shorts. I don't care if the clip would prevent constant on by twisting the switch. In other words if I can snug the tail cap onto the clip and all I have is momentary, that's okay. I also realize the lockout feature may not be available without rattling the clip.

It seems as though the clip's ring should be thick enough that when the tail switch is fully tightened on it, obviously the light does not come on.

Thanks for any suggestions. Here's a pic of the Z2:

Z2Clip.jpg

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Just a suggestion but I think a Novatac clip would work in your application...Lighthound sells them I believe...gl

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Thanks Ninjaz. As luck would have it I have a 120P due in the mail Monday or Tuesday. I can try that clip and order one if it works. It seems though that the clip is too thin and the light would come on before the tailcap is fully snugged against it.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Think I might actually have a clicky, but I use the light with a pistol, and don't want to "click" the light on. Want to control when the light is on with a squeeze between my cigar finger grip and the heel of my hand (momentary). Also, with my other SFs, I find the clicky switch has to be competely tightened against the body, so I'm not sure even the thin clip would not prevent electrical contact.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
My clicky is perfect for tactical use,with a great feel for momentary on.:thinking:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
My clicky is perfect for tactical use,with a great feel for momentary on.:thinking:

Thanks. Have you tried loosening the clicky for the thickness of a clip and see if they work? In testing mine I find even slightly loosening the clicky causes it to loose contact.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Folks I got my Novatac in and tried the clip on the Z2. The clip's diameter is actually larger than the Z2 at the switch. Also, like I thought, I'd have to tighten the switch down to far to snug the clip, and this causes the light to activate and stay on.

Does anyone know if any aftermarket switch also has a clip attached (like the incompatible Vital Gear bodies)? What about a Milky mod or other mod to include the clip?

Thanks....Jeff.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, you put a glow-ring or O-ring around the body behind the clip, and it'll stay snug, a little more waterproof, and (if you use the glow-ring) help you locate the light in the dark.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Chontius-thanks. I meant to mention I tried that, and it did not work--the clip was too wobbly with an o-ring. Well, I had a garden hose washer which I streched over and is arguably as dense as the o-ring. The problem seems to be the size of the gap when the switch is off.

Maybe I need to try a clickie switch, but then will the gap of the clip and O-ring (if still needed) allow the clickie to function? When I unscrew my clickie SF switches just 1/16th of a turn to test the idea, they don't function!

Thanks.

matt0

Enlightened
When I unscrew my clickie SF switches just 1/16th of a turn to test the idea, they don't function!

Both my SF Z59 Clicky and Leef McClicky switch do this...

Maybe if there's a way to extend the contacts between the body and tailcap. Some sort of thin metal washer to go inside the tailcap... (kind of like the one Malkoff offers for the M2 lights, to allow the drop-in to contact the body better)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chontius-thanks. I meant to mention I tried that, and it did not work--the clip was too wobbly with an o-ring. Well, I had a garden hose washer which I streched over and is arguably as dense as the o-ring. The problem seems to be the size of the gap when the switch is off.

Maybe I need to try a clickie switch, but then will the gap of the clip and O-ring (if still needed) allow the clickie to function? When I unscrew my clickie SF switches just 1/16th of a turn to test the idea, they don't function!

Thanks.

Two ideas - either multiple O-rings, or the big, heavy duty ones recommended for gap-filling applications, which have like a 2mm cross-section. Sounds like what you did with the hose thing, how big was that?

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Hose washer was around 2mm thick. It was yellow and protruded from the body of the flashlight some, but I didn't care--was trying to make the Novatac clip work!