Ok I Finally Joined the Fenix Bandwagon

Albinoni

Banned
Well after all these weeks of sitting down and making decisions I finally made up my mind and decided why not join the Fenix Bandwagon, I mean if others here have Fenixes and love em, than why not join them.

Well I bought myself a Fenix P1D Q5 Cree 70790 max of 180 Lumens. I think this is the top of the line of the P1D series. I think its a 3w LED if I'm correct.

I tested the torch in the shop and it was bright and pleasing but hard to tell because the shop was bright and had its lights on so really not a good way to test this baby. Well I came home and waited for night to fall, went into my bedroom turned off all the lights and decided to switch this baby beast on, wow this thing really shone :twothumbs !!!. For a torch this size and using just 1xCR123A battery it sure does give out some light without a doubt especially for its size. Am I impressed or what !!! It doesnt have a OP reflector but a smooth one which really didnt bother me, but I can say Iam very impressed with this little beast.

The Cree 7090 LED gives out a really nice smooth beam and I work as a maintenance engineer/technician here in Perth in a lovely private large hospital and in sometimes I need to work in dark places like ducts etc, well I'll be taking this baby into work tomorrow and to let it shine :thumbsup:

Also can I use RCR123A's in this and wonder how well it will perform in terms of brightness.

Ohh btw my next torch is going to be a JetBeam Jet II IBS :twothumbs

Albinoni

Banned
Ok bit confused here. I've seen some P1D's on the Internet Ebay for eg. where on the head of the P1D is written something like Premium Q5 in fine writing on the head, but mine doesnt. Though the back of the box does say:

Model P1D CE Premium Q5
Uses a Lifetime Cree 7090 XR-E LED
5 Output Types, 180 Lumens Max.

Also it says it has an optical glass lens with AR coating, whats AR coating is this some scratch resistant coating ?

Havent dunked it in water as yet.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
AR means anti-reflection. That's the same or similar to coatings put on camera lenses. The net effect is to allow more of the light to pass through the lens.

I can't comment on the lack of markings on your light's body. Things are now changing more quickly in this hobby, so I'm guessing that you likely have the Q5; the mfr. likely didn't have enough time to stream new bodies into the production line. In any case, both of our lights are now obsolete as we speak. That's just the way it goes. Bottom line: Enjoy the heck out of your light!! I know I do!

Albinoni

Banned
Who knows probably mine is a later model and Fenix stoppd writing Premium Q5 on the head or might be the earlier model where they didnt write it and now they do just to give it a bit of decoration lol.

Doesnt matter no big deal, but all I do know is that I do have the top of the line fenix p1D Q5 a CE with 180 Lumesn max output.

youreacrab

Enlightened
In any case, both of our lights are now obsolete as we speak.

Exactly how is this light obsolete? 180 lumens is still very bright. And the P1D is still boasts one of the best power/size factors in the industry.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly how is this light obsolete? 180 lumens is still very bright. And the P1D is still boasts one of the best power/size factors in the industry.
I know, that kind of statement always makes me laugh. "Obsolete" is too harsh. Maybe "surpassed" is better. It's not like you're getting significantly brighter light for the same or longer duration.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
Ok bit confused here. I've seen some P1D's on the Internet Ebay for eg. where on the head of the P1D is written something like Premium Q5 in fine writing on the head, but mine doesnt.

Maybe an earlier or later version. My P1D says "Premium Q5" and has the serial # on the head --US344752.

Edit.: probably not a serial # since my L2D has that same #. BTW, my P3D has a different #.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
My P1D still impresses me. Whenever I go out to test a new light like my A8 or WF500 (going back a bit) or my TK11 etc, I always take along my P1D and even after something much bigger and brighter like the WF500 or a MTE P7, I'm still amazed how much light the little P1D puts out for its size.

For me it's a great EDC or backup light... especially as a "backup" light it's brighter than average joes bigger main light.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
All that and it's water resistant too.

I own the Fenix L2S and it's great for what I need it for.

The beam is crisp and bright and the body tough and water resist.

I rather wait for the price of the better flashlights to go down to get one.

Like everything else, the newer models get old.

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
Welcome to the Fenix Flashlight Club.

I just joined with my Fenix L2S.

Nothing too fancy, but definitely nothing to complain about though.

I've already dropped many times, and I tested how water resist it is. I also worked under the sink and I also checked for leaks, and I also used it to look for something lost.

I'm going to test what it looks like outside later when I take out the garbage.

One of the things I really like about the light is you can use the 10 lumes to read something and the 45 lumes to light up the room as a candle.

I also like the fact that you can use it during the daytime unlike other LED's.

Albinoni

Banned
I need some help re my little powerhouse P1D. I know by twisting ON/OFF you get throught the modes, but how do I get the 180 Lumens mode. When I first turn it on what mode is that and also is it on the 2nd twist where I get the 180 Lumens ?

Niconical

Enlightened
Shouldn't you be able to tell just by which is brightest, which is lowest, and which is in the middle?

JJV

Newly Enlightened
I think the first mode is 90 Lumens, 2nd is 180 and third low, than Strobe and SOS if I'm correct.

You're right-On is medium, next twist brings you to max. It's not tremendously obvious at first-I had to do a little white-wall hunting to note the difference.

Great little light though. I got tired of all the twisting so I bought a Leef body with a clicky tailcap. It's a different color than the head, and it makes it a lot longer than it was originally. But the clicky makes it much easier to use. No twisting!!:twothumbs

I can't even complain about the length; it's still really small even with the new body.