surefire L1 cree vs E2L

iveseenthelite

Newly Enlightened
hey everybody. I edc an L1 cree(10/65 lumen), and am very happy with the beam quality. the throw is superb. the only thing I am not crazy about is the battery life. I am considering purchasing an E2L outdoorsman(3/60 lumen) for more runtime. my only question is, will I be satisfied with the beam quality of the E2L, does it come close to matching the L1 in the throw dept? any input from anyone with experience with both these lights would be appreciated. thanks

matt0

Enlightened
I can't say this with 100% certainty but I believe they use a very similar (if not the same) optic. I imagine with similar output levels and similar optics, they'll produce a very similar beam.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that you will be more than satisfied. The runtime is fantastic on the E2L, the beam is the same as the L1 and the low is way more useful than you might think at first for being only 3 lumens.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big L1 fan, but I just bought a 2-stage E2L because of the pending price increases. Basically the beam pattern is the same (I believe they use the same TIR optic). The thing that is pretty compelling about the latest E2L is the option for lonnnnnng run at low lumens and a useful high with good throw. My only note about the E2L is that mine at least is kind of green in tint compared to other SF LED lights I've got, and in a thread I started on that yesterday there were a number of people who posted that outdoors that could be a benefit, so I'm staying open-minded on that.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the E2L and L1 and love both of em - I think the highs are pretty comparable and even though they are both TIR lights, I prefer the beam quality of my E2L high better.

The low is a different story, the two are very different. Like already mentioned, I love the low of the E2L. Another big difference in the low is that my E2L is significantly greener - which I like as it makes the 3 lumens seem even less bright.

Having the two lights REALLY makes me want a 3 or 4 stage surefire - one with 3, 10, 65, 120 steps... CANT WAIT FOR THE UA2!!!

Get the E2L now before the price jump - you will be VERY happy.

H2Orower

Enlightened
Count me in as another happy E2L owner. In comparing my own lights, my E2L has a slightly tighter beam which appears to throw better than my L1. On the other hand, as others have already said, my E2L beam is NOT as white as my L1. Overall, I much prefer my E2L and recommend it highly. :thumbsup:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I am a big L1 fan, but I just bought a 2-stage E2L because of the pending price increases. Basically the beam pattern is the same (I believe they use the same TIR optic). The thing that is pretty compelling about the latest E2L is the option for lonnnnnng run at low lumens and a useful high with good throw. My only note about the E2L is that mine at least is kind of green in tint compared to other SF LED lights I've got, and in a thread I started on that yesterday there were a number of people who posted that outdoors that could be a benefit, so I'm staying open-minded on that.

Ditto on just getting the E2L before the price increase. Throw is substantially the same on high as the L1, though maybe just a bit tighter, and by itself the beam looks pure white, but against my L1, the E2L looks slightly rosier. I set the E2L on my nightstand with an F04 diffuser. For walking around at night, the 3 lumen low is PLENTY of light for 100 hours!