Should I Buy a Titan?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That depends. The aluminium version will be significantly cheaper, and run on a more common CR123a cell. Unless the exclusivity, material or CR2 battery is particularly important to you, or you really need it now, then I would wait to see what happens with the aluminium T1A.

Regards,
Tempest

Arcoholic

Enlightened
Only you can make that decision, i have become partial to cr2 lights for edcdue to the slimness and must say the titan fits the bill. i bought two just in case i loose one which i tend to do. But i must say it is my fav. light followed by ArcMania creations.

MicroE

Enlightened
I'm not real big on the exclusivity factor.
I do like my Ti CR2 Ion, so if this is basically a variable power version of the Ion, I should probably go ahead.
I didn't realize that the Ti and Al versions used different batteries. Do they have different lumen outputs?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you can afford it buy the Ti Titan and wear it around your neck. Good price for the Ti Titan and it will only go up price wise. I say wear it around the neck because it is so small and I would always want to know where it was. I am not a a collector so it would be one of my EDC's, but carefully kept.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm not real big on the exclusivity factor.
I do like my Ti CR2 Ion, so if this is basically a variable power version of the Ion, I should probably go ahead.
I didn't realize that the Ti and Al versions used different batteries. Do they have different lumen outputs?

Please do a search for Titan, or Surefire Titan. Use Google Search, CPF only at the top of every page. You need to get more knowledge about the Titan. How did you miss the threads on the Titan. You have over 1000 posts.

Bill

fleegs

Enlightened
I would recommend getting one if you can easily afford it. I do not think it is a light that you would want to buy if you have to save for it. If in the saving category I would wait and see what the next version is before you spend on this one. Plus the headlamp version (same type of adjusting interface) is suppose to come out in November, I think. Not sure when the 123 Al is coming out.

That said, when comparing to the Ti Ion, I would say you should definately get it. It is bigger than the Ion but the low is lower and you have many levels. Very fun to play with and use.

I have a Titan but unfortunately I never got to use it because it had a defect right out of the box. I am still waiting on it to be fixed and returned.

If you are in to lights and enjoy checking out different user interfaces then I would recommend getting this light. It is a really neat interface.

Rob

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend getting one if you can easily afford it. I do not think it is a light that you would want to buy if you have to save for it. If in the saving category I would wait and see what the next version is before you spend on this one. Plus the headlamp version (same type of adjusting interface) is suppose to come out in November, I think. Not sure when the 123 Al is coming out.

That said, when comparing to the Ti Ion, I would say you should definately get it. It is bigger than the Ion but the low is lower and you have many levels. Very fun to play with and use.

I have a Titan but unfortunately I never got to use it because it had a defect right out of the box. I am still waiting on it to be fixed and returned.

If you are in to lights and enjoy checking out different user interfaces then I would recommend getting this light. It is a really neat interface.

Rob
When did you get your Titan? And what was the defect?

I hope you get it fixed soon.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A buddy offered to sell me a NIB Titan at about $500.
Should I buy it or should I wait for the aluminum version?

You should buy it and use it. There's of course cheaper lights, there's more powerful lights, there's more efficient lights but....the Titan is pure pleasure. :)

When I talk of my EDC light I always refer to 'the other light' because the Titan has always been with me since I bought it. :thumbsup:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
$500 to some (like me) is a lot of money. And many folks are holding out on big spending to purchase the 400 lumen Surefire UB2 Invictus when they come out.

But if you can easily afford it or you friend really needs the money...as others have said...go for it. :thumbsup:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Yes, if you can afford one and having the easiest UI, lowest low with a smooth white floody beam sounds good to you, yes, buy one now!

On the other hand, if you only value 'bang-for-the-buck' or lumens, this light isn't for you.

When I first read about these I knew that there were people with real problems if they would consider buying something so ridiculously expensive, especially with such a great range of choices available.

Then I found out about the low setting going lower than anything else available and the fever to find one started!

If I was to change anything about the Titan, it would be to add a trit and have a warmer tint, both of which I'm already planning on doing to it!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Save your money. It's a flashlight. $60 flashlights light/work just as well.

IMHO of course. :naughty:

I believe we think alike, Budman. Not that I don't understand collecting fancy stuff. But, with improvements happening almost daily, I will never believe the Titan's value will increase. On top of that, hasn't it had a multitude of problems?

Geoff

zx7dave

Enlightened
Buy a Titan only if you are a collector. If you are planning on buying for a great EDC you will be very disappointed with the output especially considering the price, Battery life is not so great either. Owner of #0117.

haley1

Enlightened
If you have that kind of disposable income and want pride of ownership for something unique, YES. If you want to actually use it, I'd buy 2 of the aluminum versions, or a couple of Mcgizmos, or 9 Nitecores, or 8 Fenixs, or ..... You get the idea. But that's just me. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Buy a Titan only if you are a collector. If you are planning on buying for a great EDC you will be very disappointed with the output especially considering the price, Battery life is not so great either. Owner of #0117.
Buy a Titan if you want a very low beam capability with a really smooth and wide flood. These posts about other lights being brighter make me wonder if every one here actually overlooks the functionality of a new vehicle in favor of the highest horsepower for the money when they're buying a new car.
I will never believe the Titan's value will increase. On top of that, hasn't it had a multitude of problems?

Geoff
The reason to buy one is if it offers something that the buyer wants that isn't available elsewhere, which the Titan does. You're right about all the problems being had, but it appears that once Surefire took care of them everyone, even Yaesu, seems to be happy.
If you have that kind of disposable income and want pride of ownership for something unique, YES. If you want to actually use it, I'd buy 2 of the aluminum versions, or a couple of Mcgizmos, or 9 Nitecores, or 8 Fenixs, or ..... You get the idea. But that's just me. :)
Another post from someone who decides that any of us who actually like the Titan are rich snobs looking for a toy to show off because we like something for reasons beyond his own sphere of understanding. :ironic:

Before anyone makes any more snide cutdowns to the owners of these lights, go do some reading and actually look for the reasons we like them, and at least try to refrain from insulting us. :thumbsup:

Last edited: