Phoebus Products

Bad Voodoo

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

First post here after some significant lurking... great forum with lots of smart people! I like it. ;)

First question. Why all the hate for Phoebus products at CPF? There aren't many posts re: this USA company to begin with and those I've found have a few venomous accusations about knock-offs. Does anyone have insider or objective intel about Phoebus (you know, aside from the as yet unsubstantiated accusations about the knock-offs). Who has a story?

:popcorn:

aml

Newly Enlightened
so do you work for them? or own the company?

Bad Voodoo

Newly Enlightened
so do you work for them? or own the company?

:laughing:
When posting this, I just knew someone was going to ask.

No, I don't work for Phoebus, or own the company. I wish I did, but all fantasy aside I ply my trade in Silicon Valley for a software company. I'm curious about them, 1.) because I think the Wilderness Kit is kind of cool, and 2.) at first glance their tac lights look nice.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a light by them that uses a single AA battery. It is only a 1 watt Luxeon, but is bright enough for use around the house, and is very well made. I have not heard anything about them on this forum however. As far as the criticism about their lights being knockoffs, I find that funny. I have seen a lot of lights that look simliar to others. Some of the lights made overseas are knockoffs of Surefire and other lights, and some of the brand names are a knockoff. They are poplular lights to a lot of folks on this forum however, so I do not undertand that criticism of them.

Mike

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see why some might think they are doing knockoffs but I think they are just putting their own name on lights made by various manufacturers. Sort of like Sears putting their name on many brands - they don't make them but just have the manufacturers do a run for them and put their name on it.
Personally didn't know of any hate for Phoebus - I don't even recall ever hearing of them but did just look at their web site. Lots of familiar lights by various manufacturers all with the Phoebus name on them - and I'm fairly certain they didn't copy some of these fairly complex designs just to put their name on it - they very likely just had the original maker do a run for them.

Last edited:

Bad Voodoo

Newly Enlightened
Lots of familiar lights by various manufacturers all with the Phoebus name on them - and I'm fairly certain they didn't copy some of these fairly complex designs just to put their name on it - they very likely just had the original maker do a run for them.

Now that's some good information. Can anyone confirm that Phoebus' designs are "branded?" I just wonder why anyone would do that, especially a company who has manufacturing capability.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've definitely seen some of their lights under other names - SterOps makes that 'Wilderness Kit' light and in the past I have seen them at Dealextreme and TADGear. A number of other lights looked very familiar although I can't remember all the original companies I had seen making them. In reality I'm not positive who makes what such as SterOps. It might be a branded light that someone else makes in China and SterOps just got them out first and in the most places. But I'm sure I've seen a number of Phoebus lights under other names. The Microfire does not seem to be branded with their name but it is available through other dealers I know and I think Microfire is a manufacturer in China. 4sevens sells the same light they have on the Phoebus site but sells it for well over a $100 less and 4sevens is one of our very respected dealers here with great service. So I see Phoebus as primarily a tactical supply store with lights from various sources and they get some manufacturers to brand them with their name. Just guessing on all that but that is how it appears.

Latest posts