Are Fenix E01s All Type III Anodized?

Confederate

Enlightened
On another website, someone said that only the black and gray
Fenix E01s were Type III anodized, and that the gold, pink and blue ones were Type II. Does anyone know if this is the case? Sure don't seem like it, but I thought I'd ask. He said you can't color Type III, yet the E01s are all advertised to be Type III, and bein' keychain lights, I don't think Type II would stand up.

Thanks.

dulridge

Enlightened
On another website, someone said that only the black and gray
Fenix E01s were Type III anodized, and that the gold, pink and blue ones were Type II. Does anyone know if this is the case? Sure don't seem like it, but I thought I'd ask. He said you can't color Type III, yet the E01s are all advertised to be Type III, and bein' keychain lights, I don't think Type II would stand up.

Thanks.

The olive ones certainly are - just used it to file some type II anodised aluminium. After about 8 months on my keys it shows no marks whatever.

It will mark steel as well..

It also makes a very good nail file :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, my orange is wearing quicker than I thought it would just from being on my key chain?:shrug:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
It sure has. My olive finish E01 still looks new after all this time on my key chain. My wife's purple one looks terrible. So you can call the finish by any name you want, but the purple at least wears nothing like the olive. I have no problem believing the olive is type III, but I don't see the practicality in referring to whatever the purple is by the same name. It is misleading to people without an intimate knowledge of anodizing processes.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's purple one has dings in it already and only lays around in her purse.

Mine (blue) is in my pocket all the time with another set of keys for company, and it looks like new (except for the pocket fluff around the LED)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure they are actually dings, as other items often wear off onto the HA, such as keys which are less hard. You might just need to clean off the marks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Make sure they are actually dings, as other items often wear off onto the HA, such as keys which are less hard. You might just need to clean off the marks.

+1

Keys have a habit of wearing off onto an HA light, not the other way around.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I've had my black E01 on my keychain for about 4 months, and while I absolutely believe it's a good type III anodizing, the 'peaks' of the knurling on each side that would rub on a key is very much worn down. All of the smooth areas are still intact, but just like on a vehicle, anywhere there is a sharp edge there will be less coating material than the flat parts. My Nitecore Extreme finish is even worse, but that rubs against my knife since they are co-located clipped to my right pocket.