Emergency Light for Preschool Teacher

txmatt

Enlightened
My wife has to keep a couple flashlights in her classroom in case of emergencies. She currently has a couple cheapie 2D incans (one is the old crappy red plastic Eveready's). I hate these old lights that 1/2 the time you have to smack them to get them to light.

The lights will likely sit unused for months at a time. They would mainly be used in case of evacuation or tornado drill in the bathrooms. Most of the rooms/halls have emergency lighting so it's not like the flashlights would need to light up an entire room. What would you guys recommend as a replacement?

Here are the requirements...

1. Single level LED light with simple on/off switch.
2. Lithium-primary-capable for long shelf life.
3. Preferrably AA format so alkaline batteries, which the school always has on hand, could be swapped if the Lithiums died or ran down.
4. Not too bright (I'm guessing somewhere in the 25-50 lumens range).

I'm leaning towards a couple Streamlight Propoly 2AA LED's. I have one of these and have had a couple Propoly 4AA LED's and they've all been 100% reliable and couldn't be simpler to use: they just work. Tha 2AA version is rated at 25 lumens on alkalines but looks like it gains maybe 10-20% output (and longer runtime) on lithiums. The built-in clip could be useful, too.

So any suggestions that might convince me to buy a different light?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be for your wife to carry a personal light to work as part of her individual "oh crap" kit.

As for the room's emergency kit, depending on how much you want to spend, really any generic LED light from Target/Sprawl-Mart will fit the bill.

I just bought and gave away the x2 aa Rayovac LED flashlight I picked up from Sprawlmart - the thing was on clearance, down from almost $30 to $13 and change.

-Trevor

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
I'd say the Fenix L2D just because of the different ranges of lumens and long runtime and you can also put lithium batteries in it.

If you want something simple though, get a Fenix L2S, L2T, or the L2P. They have two switches in them that range from 10 lumens to 45 or 55 lumens and you can put 2 AA lithium batteries in them also.

Plus, they are cheaper flashlights.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProPoly 2AA sounds like a good idea. I've never used that version, but the clickies on the 4AA and 3C can be a little unyielding, so you might want to make sure the 2AAs are operable with weak or arthritic hands before you put them to classroom duty. You never know whom you'll need to lend one of them to.

By the way, the place where I used to work only has those plastic 2D incans (and a couple 6V lanterns here and there) because they keep on getting stolen. I don't know if that'll be an issue at your wife's school, but hopefully not.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Fenix E20 might also be a good candidate, is runs 3 hours on two AA batteries and is cheaper than the Fenix L2 type of lights.

It is single level with 109 lumens.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol I love all these people who post without reading the op and just want to push their favorite light. L2d or a D10? Those couldn't be more different than what he asked for. I agree with T medina in that his requirements arent too difficult to meet, however your run of the mill light from a megastore might not be optimized for lithium cells. I dont own a propoly but have heard nothing but good things. I guess this is almost a toughie because alot of lights now are well over 50 lumens. I dunno, it might very well be too bright but maybe a fenix e20? Its a simple single clicky, and although it is 109 lumens, maybe it would be good for her in floody mode. If you think thats too bright for her, maybe you are already on the right track with a propoly. I also agree with above that you should consider getting her something tiny for her keychian if you are worried about emergency situations. Especially with its long runtime, a fenix e01 can be a great emergency light that you will always have with you.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2DL or 6P with Strike Bezel... Those Preschoolers can be vicious!!! LOL :crackup::crackup::crackup::devil::devil:

Nah better play it safe and get a tigerlight. The preschoolers, they hate the stun-cap.:D

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
the muzzle flash from a 9mm automatic can also provide ample emergency lighting

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something you might want to consider for her for a purse/keychain emergency light (so that she'd most likely always have it nearby, whether in the school or not) would be a Fenix L0D. It's an AAA light with output from 11 to 75 lumens. Check out the specs/description and see what you think. I know it doesn't really fit the exact criteria you specified, but hey...it's an additional suggestion to consider. ;)

Fenix Digital L0D Q4 RED Finish

Fenix Digital L0D Q4 Black Finish

You might consider one of these IN ADDITION TO the classroom light. If she's got it in the purse, she'll likely get accustomed to using it once in a while, thus being aware when it needs a new battery, etc.

The L0D seems to be one amazing little flashlight. I don't own one yet, but have been impressed enough by comments I've read that I am getting one for my mom for use a purse/keychain light.

Get her the red one so it stands out. :thumbsup:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like to say an E01, just for her to have with her at all times, because it's so damn handy, small and long running. For one for school emergency useage, it may be a good idea for it to tailstand and run 5+ hours.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I agree with your initial idea of the streamlight 4AA, I got to fiddle with one last week and they work fine. I am going to get a couple for family members to keep in their cars. Initially fill the light with Energizer lithium batteries, that way you won't have to worry about them dying in a few years.

Zenster

Enlightened
My .02 is to suggest a D10 loaded with a Lithium primary.

It's essentially a single level light in that you can (very easily) set it and forget it for the level you want, and then it will always turn on at that level unless/until you change it.

The Lithium primary in it will last for years and won't leak, but as with all battery powered items upon which a person depends on them for emergency use, the battery should always be replaced with a fresh one once a year.

wwglen

Enlightened
A preschool teacher doesn't get paid much and won't want to put down $50 on something sitting around in the classroom.

Eveready has a few CHEAP lights and below are some examples:

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_04401_wr2a3ae.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energ...compact_2_led_4aa_rubber_grip_flashlight.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_05533_evllm21s.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_03005_in2aaled.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_03212_evll21s_p_c_1_2aa_led_w_1215_batteries.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energ...3ae_buzz_lightyear_2_in_1_led_flashlight.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_02342_cled4awre_red_compact_led.html

http://www.getflashlights.com/energizer_eveready_02335_cfl420wb_e.html

Also good would be:

Minimag light with the LED replaced by a Nichia-GS LED.

Keeping an eye out at Walmart and Target clearances would also wouk out as they had (and you still might be abble to find) the Rayovac 2-AA 1-watt light for around $9.00.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180705

Big Lots in some areas are selling some quality LED lights also:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181799

wwglen

Gatsby

Enlightened
For sit around just in case lights you want something relatively inexpensive, reliable and easy to use. If you can find any more of the Rayovac clearance lights at Wally world that would be an excellent choice. There are plenty of good choices, though, and the Streamlight Propoly's are one of them - albeit perhaps better than you need. Similarly, the Inova bolt is a pretty good easily available light but perhaps better than required. Heck a few leftover Minimags with the Niteize drop in would be an OK choice and inexpensive as well.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd even suggest skipping the lithium requirement unless you're planning on supervising the battery cycle of the light.

Other than that, how much are you interested in spending? A generic knock-off as I've mentioned before from Sprawlmart or Home Depot would work - if you want a personal recommendation, I have an Inova Bolt AA for my generic work light.

The Mag LED light runs on 2 or 3 AA batteries and would fit the bill as well.

I believe Gerber has a few lights that also fit in this category, but I haven't seen their product line for a while.

I mention the generic, mass-production models because if it goes missing, it will be both easily replaced and not quite so heart-breaking as a higher-dollar item.

Anything custom ordered or more than $30 would probably be best kept in a pocketbook or purse for an actual crisis - at which point, I'd look at the larger array of lights listed here.

Just a thought.

-Trevor

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I would say besides the main light she should keep a few e01's. They can be passed around to the children(they like all different colors) to reassure them that they are safe. Keep them tail standing in different parts of the classroom. You dont have to worry about runtime because they last so long! they use regular AAA so no worries there. Plus the kids can take the lights with them as they travel out of the school.

Retinator

Enlightened
I'd recommend any staff to carry at least 2 small lights on them.

The problem with an emergency kit, is that it often gets looted/not replenished.
Best to have your own stuffs.

Ok my picks.....

Paklite/Pal-light possibly with lithium 9Vs
Inova X1 gen2 or X5
MagLED2D - For the kit

The Propolys sounds really good too.
also Dorcy - 1 AAA's are ok or even the Energizer Hard Case series might make a cheap option.