U-04 SE tailcap auto activates at depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Hello Javier,

I just bought a U-04 SE (the one with special Teflon HA) from one of the forum members, and overall I'm very satisfied with it. However due to the increased pressure at depth, the push button doesn't work when taking the light diving. I noticed it yesterday while diving at 25 meters, that the light went on by itself, and I had to back off the tailcap even further to turn it off.

I suspect you made the spring in the U-04 softer to make it easier to use the push button on land, but can I buy a tailcap with the stiff spring, or preferably one without a push button?

Thanks
Jan

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Jan,

That is in fact one of the features people loves, specailly when they drop the light from the boat. You can deactivate the pushbutton by unscrewing the tailcap.

My advise is to keep the light switched on during the submersion (+ 2,5 hours, no prob with batts, increase safety; unless you wnat it just as a back-up and your dive is going to last more than that.

Javier

JanCPF

Enlightened
Hello Javier,

Yes I'm aware that people wanted the softer spring, and that it is a feature. I just wanted to know if I could buy a "stiff springed" tailcap (like the one on my U-15) as a spare part, as I'm primarily using my U-04 as a backup.

Would it be possible to easily disassemble the tailcap to put in a stiffer spring, or to even disable the push button? Can i just unscrew the hex screw at the bottom of the tailcap to disassemble it?

BTW: The waterproof seal in the tailcap button, how is that made? Is it like the control buttons on an underwater camera housing, with an o-ring sealed rod going all the way through? It seemes to be working great, but should I worry about sand and dirt around the outside and under the push button.

Thanks
Jan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.