5W HD V3U in StealthLite Reflector

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I like the simple, small, and rugged Pelican lights, but the "Laser Spot" beam is too narrow to be useful to me. I wondered what this reflector would do with a broader source, so mounted a 5W HD V3U in a StealthLite reflector, put this inside a Mag 2D held in with a cut down reflector housing, and powered it with resistored 6AAs. I prefer broad beams with good spill, and wasn't disappointed.

Following are beamshots from this 5W StealthLite (5WS), a Trilight running off 4Cs (one of my favorites), and a BB400 all taken at 15 feet.
04105WTriBB400-15.jpg
You can see the 5WS beam has a broad hot spot like the slightly purplish Trilight. The Trilight has more spill in the immediate vicinity of its hot spot. The BB400 is for reference.

The next set, taken from 15 feet with the light held at 3 feet shows the very broad and effective spill of the HD from the StealthLite reflector. (A slight modification would provide up to 15 more degrees.) The Trilight spill quickly falls away. The BB400 is again for reference.
04105WTriBB400-03.jpg
For me personally, this is almost an ideal general purpose outdoor beam (other than the sharpness of the hot spot). It provides a fairly bright, wide spot while also providing quite reasonable flood. You could see well down a trail at night while also seeing obstacles a footstep away.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to be getting the best of both a spot and flood, I like that beam.

[ QUOTE ]
(A slight modification would provide up to 15 more degrees.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think adding that 15º would result in a more gradual transition to the spill, or just as sharp an edge, to a larger hotspot?

I'm curious as to why you didn't put it in the Stealthlite. It wouldn't fit?
Also, was it difficult to fit the Trilight into the Mag 4 C? I inquired at Inretech, and was told it doesn't just drop in.
I put my Super6 in a Mag 4 C, and I really like the length compared to a Mag 3 D, plus the extra drive from the 4th cell.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
ufokillerz: A few weeks ago I probed one of the CPF standard sources, and he was able to provide exactly one. I don't want to start a flood of unsatisfiable requests in his direction, so won't mention him by name.

Rothrandir: Thanks for making the heat sink!

shankus: My rough estimate is that tapering the lens retaining ring (see bad pic below) would provide about 7 more degrees on each side, or 15 degrees total of additional broad spill, but wouldn't affect the hot spot. An HD reflector that should provide both broad spill and gradual transition from the hot spot is described here. I'm going to turn down the big reflector if I like this mod, plus replace the battered plastic lens.

I don't believe that the plastic body of a StealthLite could handle the 5W heat for long, plus there's no room for a relatively large heat sink, plus I wanted to use a 6AA NiMH rechargeable power source. It would be fairly easy to make a drop-in 1W mod for the 2C PeliLite (my favorite flashlight form factor) with a reflector which is essentially identical to the StealthLite. I'm waiting on a 1W HD to try this.

The Trilight is in a Mag 3D with rubber battery sleeve to "convert" to 4C. I have been able to put the Trilight in a Mag 3C, but the optics were a little loose. This might be solved by using 2 UCLs instead of one. I agree on the 4C vs. 3D. It's on my list to get a 4C and move the Trilight there permanently.
MidiBlaster.jpg

Latest posts