Will the Surefire UA2 Optimus make you thin your SF herd?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been thinking a lot about this lately and just thought it might be an interesting question to ask:

If you buy the Surefire UA2 Optimus, will you sell most of your other Surefires?

I think I would get rid of my E2DL and probably one of my C2s... I think I would keep my L1 (it was my first), E1B (a good SMALL light) and E2L (keep only for emergencies) though...

My collection isn't too big (only been collecting since July) but I'm wondering what those of you with 5+ Surefires will do :whistle: ??

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will the Surefire UA2 make you thin your SF herd?

I would probably sell my old-style (18650 compatible) U2. I like the interface, but I would like it even more if it had an updated LED with more throw and more runtime.

I might also sell my 2-level E2L. It's already pretty redundant against my L1, E1B, and single-level Cree E2L.

loszabo

Enlightened

If you buy the Surefire UA2, will you sell most of your other Surefires?

You are new to CPF, right? :rolleyes:

I will "retire" some more SureFire's (putting them on my book shelf w/o cells installed), but I will not sell them.

GreySave

Enlightened

No. I am not even sure I will purchase one. At first I was truly excited about the two new models, but I have come to appreciate the benefits of smaller lights lately.

If it really delivers as advertised and the tint is nice it might become my primary light carried when activated due to its flexibility, but I doubt it will ever by my EDC. In addition, all of my other lights have their own little niches that they fill that would merit keeping them around.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope...to dimm...only 200 lumen. Now...the UB2 at 400 lumen...might make me wonder what purpose some of my other lights serve.

jchoo

Enlightened

I don't think it will make me sell or retire any lights, but it has made me reconsider purchase of a C2.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read the original post again, and I realized that it referred to the UA2 Optimus, which I don't plan to buy.

I was thinking of the U2A (updated U2 Ultra), which is identical to the U2 but with a Seoul LED. Unlike the UA2 & UB2, the U2A is starting to be sold now.

SaVaGe

Enlightened

nope all of my lights specially SF has their purpose..........wow i been out for a loooooooooooooong time now im bacckkkkkkkkk:twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic

LOL.

I still sometimes carry my old technology, E2D inca.

Did so the past two days straight. I'm keeping all of my Surefires. :D

iapyx

Enlightened

Nope...to dimm...only 200 lumen. Now...the UB2 at 400 lumen...might make me wonder what purpose some of my other lights serve.

How do you know it's 200 lumen?
Aren't you mixing up the UA2 [Optimus] with the U2A? [upgraded U2, old stlye]

Or is the OP mixing them up?
Here's a thread about the U2A:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205637

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

I suggest you don't start thinning your herd based on your desire to replace them with a product until such time as your Dealer has the product in stock and is able to sell you one.

It would be far better in my experience to get the new product and through use of it discover whether it renders obsolete other products you have.

Al

Rob187

Enlightened

No, but if it lives up to expectations it will go very close to the top of the most used lights list.

There won't be any sell off of my SFs though.

iapyx

Enlightened

If this is about the UA2 [Optimus] then my answer = no.

I own a U2 and it works on a rechargeable battery [AW 18650].
Such a fantastic flashlight with the 6 output levels and the fact that it takes rechageables makes it a perfect light for me.

It's the first and one and only SF I have. I'll keep it and cherish it.

thk

Newly Enlightened

I'm going to pass on the UA2 but will more than likely look into the UB2 and Titan T1A.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened

Psssshhh!!, UA2? Who wants a UA2 when you can get a UB2 with twice the output:devil:

Because when LED technology improves, I can easily mod the Optimus with the new and improved LED.

I can't however mod the Invictus to have variable focus.