Wondering what single cr123 led flashlight has the most lumens!

99SS-T

Newly Enlightened
As the title of my post states I am wondering what le 123 light has the most lumens working off 1 CR123.
I had a P1d ce with the Q5 but after 8 months of using rcr123's in it it appears that it finally had enough. So I am tryin to see if I can find something even more powerful then it was.
If my only options will get me a few lumes more then I will jsut get another of them as it was a great light and very EDC'able. But at the same time I would like to have a tailcap clicky. So if there is such a beast then awesome. Hope to hear good news!! Thanks a ton in advance!

John

99SS-T

Newly Enlightened
I know that alot of manufacturers make wild claims as to their output, but is the P1D Q5 really that enflated as they say 180 or is the EX10 underrated at 130? I love the look and power of the NiteCore Extreme.
I guess I forgot to take into account that with a clicky it will be a much longer light. And therefore take up more space in my pocket.
Another Q I came up with while I was reading about the NiteCore lights is the OSRAM Golden Dragon Plus. They say it is more efficent but they dont raise the output or lengthen the runtime in thier estimates. Which will it do better? More light or more time? Or maybe a little of both. Thanks for your help!

John

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The most powerful mass-produced 1x123 flashlight at the moment is the Jetbeam Jet-II IBS, which rings in at 225 lumens on one primary CR123, and 250 lumens on an RCR123 - just don't leave it at max output for very long :eek:oo: It can easily cruise at ~200 lumens with no problems though.

I own and use one of these as my EDC, and while it's notably bigger than my P1D, the pros definitely outweigh the size con. It is indeed a tailcap clicky, with Mil-Spec Type III anodizing and a sapphire crystal lens, so it's a lot tougher than the Fenixes. It uses an infinitely variable brightness interface with three memory "slots", so you get to choose what you want your three output modes to be (anywhere from 2-225 lumens, 1-15hz strobe, and a variety of SOS and locator modes) - this means there's no "flashy" modes unless you want them there. It also has a focusable beam, plus you can remove the head/reflector assembly for a bare emitter floodlight.

Be sure to check out Selfbuilt's very thorough review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/196577

And I also wrote a mini-review:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202315

Marduke

Flashaholic
180 of the Fenix vs 130 on the nitecore is emitter vs torch lumens. The EX10 doesn't use a actual clicky switch, so it is extremely small, only 6mm longer than the P1D Q5. The Gold Dragon Plus version has a couple threads dedicated for just it in the LED Flashlight and Review section. Basically it's a slightly cooler and smoother beam.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As StarHalo mentioned, the Jet-II PRO/IBS is good choice - as is the NiteCore Extreme - since both are run at about as hard as you drive with 1xC123A.

I have been meaning to update my 1xCR123A round-up review, but in the meantime here's a graph of Max output on CR123A from my recent ITP C9 review:

C9-MaxPrim.gif

As you can see, the NiteCore Extreme and Jet-II IBS have roughly equivalent max output in my lightbox testing (the lower Jet-II runtime likely just reflects Vf differences).

But you'll also note that neither of these is that much brighter than the Fenix P2D-Q5 (which should be the same as your P1D-Q5). FYI, The NiteCore EX10 and other lights were lower in my testing.

To see a wide range of runtimes (including RCR), check out my ITP C9 review for the time being.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I just got my nitecore ex10 in the mail yesterday and I will say that it is deffinitely my new EDC. It is bright when needed(really good throw too!!!) and dim when needed too! the user interface takes a little to get used to but it's not bad(a lot of options!)... the only thing i didn't like but am getting used to is that the button(or whatever you wanna call it) is kind of hard to press. and the light being so short doesn't help either. so if you have big hands, have arthritis, or something like that, this light may not be for you. but this light has almost taken the place of my mag charger.(not as much throw but WAY better beam)

-hope this helps!!!:wave:

superflytnt

Enlightened
First off let me just say that overall output isn't everything. I've found that the UI, quality and carrying options are more important in an EDC-type light.
Having said that, the others are correct that the Jetbeam and the Nitecore Extreme are the overall brightest 1-123 lights at present. I also agree with the poster who recommended the NC EX10. Among the smallest 123 lights that uses a tail switch (along with the Lumapower Incendio) and it has a fantastic UI and excellent build quality. I could also recommend the only 123 light that I EDC, the Surefire E1B. Not quite as bright as some of the others but it's focussed beam will still throw really well and it gets a good 1-3/4 hours on high, 35 hours on low (and low is 10-12 lumens, perfect for many tasks), has a simple two-stage UI with forward clicky and a brilliant clip.

You really can't go wrong with any of these lights. Good luck and read Selfbuilts shootout top to bottom! https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117

99SS-T

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses. Very helpful comments and links.
I was reading through Selfbuilt's shootout and all of the lights that have been mentioned look too large for a EDC for me. I need something that I can hold in my teeth easily while workin in tight spaces. and the P1D prolly weighs the same as the 123 cell I put in it. So very nice in that area.
Anyone know of any small lights like the P1D that have good power? From the looks of things there aren't many lights that are that small. Thanks for all the help!!

John

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I need something that I can hold in my teeth easily while workin in tight spaces. and the P1D prolly weighs the same as the 123 cell I put in it. So very nice in that area.
Anyone know of any small lights like the P1D that have good power? From the looks of things there aren't many lights that are that small.

That's why I like the JetBeam Jet-II IBS; you can remove the head/reflector assembly and use it with a super-floody bare emitter, perfect for close-up indoor work. Without the head the Jet is smaller than the P1D, and roughly the same weight. Then when you're out of the crawlspace, just replace the head and you've got a standard reflector flashlight with excellent throw :thumbsup:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Having said that, the others are correct that the Jetbeam and the Nitecore Extreme are the overall brightest 1-123 lights at present.
FWIW, the MJP Mega Extreme (SSC P7 @ 1.5A) probably puts out more than the JETBeam and NiteCore combined. It's not readily available, and its runtime makes hotwires blush, but it's easily the raw lumens champ right now.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightcore Extreme and Jet-II are the most,mass produced. powerful single CR123A lights
THe P1DQ5 is also brighter then the Ex10. BUt the Ex10's UI is far more usable.

THE most powerful single RCR123A light is a Milky Creemator. 1.3A to the Led in a surefire E series body.

Crenshaw

Stainz

Enlightened
I don't think the increase from the 180L of my one CR123 P2D with Cree Q5 LED Premium to 220L or even 250L would be 'that' significant. I am sure the heat buildup would be greater - particularly if you can run RCR123s. Long term, that may have led to your P1D's early demise. Mine came as part of the '4 in 1' kit - a deal - even if I never use the AA body again, I have a spare clicky switch. Two such should keep me going for a bit. Sure, it's a tad larger than it needs to be - but, stowed in the included sheath in my pocket as my EDC, it has been fine. I get plenty of use with the normal-low to normal-high modes - going turbo for emphasis. I only use throw-away (Carefully!) CR123s, having ordered three dozen from S-F last winter - for the Fenix & S-F 6PL's I have.

Incidently, my f-i-l loved my light - I ordered him one to 'walk the dogs' with while RV-ing - he is still impressed - but noted the heat build-up.

Stainz

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't think the increase from the 180L of my one CR123 P2D with Cree Q5 LED Premium to 220L or even 250L would be 'that' significant.

That would be true *if both lights used the same reflector*. The Jet-II's reflector is completely different from the one in the Fenix P1/2D; it throws a tighter hotspot and spill, so the overall effect to the eye is much more profound. This is especially true when in use outdoors over a long distance - the Jet easily looks more than twice as bright as the Fenix for anything over ~30 yards.