Is it me or does Nite Ize suck?!?!?!?!?!?!

jag808808

Enlightened
Some time ago I received a mini Maglite upgrade. Nite Ize 1 watt with 5 stage switch. It was a nice little trade since the light was for someone special and dear to me. The 1 watt is really bright compared to the stock incandescent. Nice, bright, retaining ability to focus a plus. :clap:

Then I installed the switch. NOTHING. Click, click, click, click, adjust head, click, remove head, click, click. :thinking: Damnit! This was NIB.:thumbsdow Click and hold down hard, light! Woohoo! HUH?!?! I thought this was a clicky switch? It only works as a momentary. Damnit. Received brand new switch. Yay! Works as it is advertised. Three levels, with two levels of blinking.

After a few months of irregular use by me and my little girl, here I am today. I am going to sell of the light to another friend and low and behold, nothing. No click. Press it all the way down with alot of force, light! Damn!!!!! :mad: That is two, count them, two, brand spanking new switches from Nite Ize that completely crapped out! :poof:

Anyone familiar with this headache? :banghead::hairpull: I have a third switch but thinking "Why waste my time?" I find it hard to believe that I would be the lucky soul to have two switches go bad. I noticed that the clicky is really small and tends to shift under the rubber cap. A sales rep from Nite Ize told me that if the tailcap no longer blinks, there is something wrong with it. Great.

Anyway, my little girl (she will be five tomorrow!:party:) graduated to a Fenix L2D Q5. She told me to sell the other light. LOL :crackup: Well, the third switch works well and feels a little more solid. I hope it holds up. :candle: If anyone wants two broken Nite Ize 5 mode switches that only works as a momentary, it is yours for the price of postage!:paypal:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Aloha!!

Click switches generally have a higher failure rate than twist-caps. Personally I have had a couple suffer from intermittent flickering, but those were on $7 junk-lights. My better ones are holding up just fine, knock on wood.

Do you really need to use the IQ switch? I have had a minimag since 1997 and the twist-head has been very reliable with the nite-ize 3 emitter drop in.

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
I avoided the nite ize switch after reading countless threads on the performance. I went with the Terralux clicky switch instead. I couldn't pull 1.0A for my SSC P4 and Cree Q5 with the stock twisty setup. Once I put the switch in, everything worked perfectly. If only they came in other colors...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on selling it on CPF, you should post that on the Marketplace...

The only experience I have with Nite Ize is a holster I bought for my mag 6D. Worked really well. Sounds like the electronics are a different story, though.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There were some known issues with the first gen IQ switches (not mechanical by the way), but they seem to have fixed the failure issues with the later generation.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you get one that works it's got some uses, but it took me two tries to get a good one, too. I haven't really used it enough to comment on its durability.

Geoff

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I even joined CPF or found out of this flashlight cult, I've been eyeing this NITE-IZE products and they never looked high quality to me. Glad i never spent any money on them. They do make great holsters though..:whistle:

jag808808

Enlightened
Aloha!!

Click switches generally have a higher failure rate than twist-caps. Personally I have had a couple suffer from intermittent flickering, but those were on $7 junk-lights. My better ones are holding up just fine, knock on wood.

Do you really need to use the IQ switch? I have had a minimag since 1997 and the twist-head has been very reliable with the nite-ize 3 emitter drop in.

Aloha kramer! It makes it a little easier.

nope isnt just you

Thanks ozner!

Their switches sound faulty:shakehead, though I have had good luck so far with their LEDs:thumbsup:.

Juggernaut, the LED is nice and bright.

Thank you all for your insight and advice! I really appreciate it.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they make a killer PR2 Led Drop in though... The one i has even runs on 1x AA!

Crenshaw

Till

Newly Enlightened
Bought a Nite Ize IQ switch at Lowes last week, actually.

So far no problems.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the newer Nite Ize IQ switches in one of my minimags. It's been working very well so far along with a Nite Ize 3-LED drop-in.

I had a bad 1-watt Nite Ize drop-in (worked but had a red hue to it). I sent them an e-mail and they sent me a new one.

Bradlee

Enlightened
I've been pleased with their sheaths, as many have commented, and have no qualms with the 5mm drop-in (for what it is), but the IQ switch... I can't get over the visible PWM on the lower settings. It makes me *cringe* to use the "50%" and "25%" settings :sick2: :green:.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With regards to the title, I've owned a handful of Nite-Ize products. Holster, LED drop-ins, switches. All work reliably. Nearly every one of my Mini-Mags has either the 3-LED upgrade or the 1watt upgrade.

I never bought the multi-mode tailcap though. Mainly since it'll dim the output of the LED, even when set to high mode. My 1watt Mini-Mag has the tailcap switch that came with one of my 3-LED upgrade combo kits. The two work well together.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is better than the Maglite LED drop in, I should check it out. Easiest way to upgrade backup lights. Who makes that one?

Aloha,

jag

well, it depends on what you mean by better. its much much dimmer, think Arc AAA. But heck does it run for a long time.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_magbulb.htm

the best part it, it works all the way up to 6D! i cant figure how they can buck the current that variably but they are doing that

Crenshaw