"Nub-less" Fraen Optics

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Nub-less\" Fraen Optics

Here's a shot of the old style Fraen optic on the right (wide beam) and the new style "tabless" on the left (medium beam).

Calling it "tabless" is really a misnomer because there has to be at least one nub so they can inject the plastic into the mold. In reality, the new optics lack the four orginal tabs that were used to locate the optic in its holder.

Fraen3.jpg

I expect to begin evaluation of these new optics as soon as I have the proper "ring spacer" to mate the optic to the emitter. The lambertian optics us this spacer ring rather than the bulky holder, so this will make these optics an even better candidate for flashlight use. Look for a more complete write up on these soon.

Rumor has it that Fraen is working on a direct size replacement optic for the NX05, but with superior performance. Now that has my eyebrows up!

OddOne

Enlightened
Re:

Yeah, one of the batch of Fraen optic samples I got was a one-nub.

I'd LOVE to see Fraen make a series of NX05 clones with variable beam angles. That'd make purpose-specific small LED mods MUCH easier.

oO

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re:

woot! i'm all for the smaller size!

i got some samples, one of which was the "nubless"

has anyone else noticed some crap in the outter parts of the fraen beams though?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
has anyone else noticed some crap in the outter parts of the fraen beams though?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never noticed anything unusual in the beams from my tests on the Batwing optics.. I have not tested the Lambertian optics yet because I don't have the required "ring spacers" to properly set the optic on the emitter. Perhaps this is what's causing your problem?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re:

hmm...i'm using batwings also... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

all 4 of my optics do that, with and without the holders.

everyone says how nice these are, so maybe i will try it again tonight when i get home...

the batwings don't require a spacer do they?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

the batwings don't require a spacer do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the batwing optics have "stand-offs" molded on the base of the optic. They can be used with or without the holder. The Lambertian optics don't have the "stand-offs", so they require the "ring-spacer"

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re:

ok.

i noticed four "stand-offs" but was uncertain as the beam i get is completely different from what other people have described.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
Where can I buy these optics?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be had directly from Fraen, but minumum order is about 150 euros if memory serves me correct. They are to be available from Future Electronics - either right now or very soon... prices per unit are to be competitve with currently available optics.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Nub-less\" Fraen Optics

I just got word that the "ring spacers" that are used with the Lambertian optics are now in stock.

I should have the spacers in about 10 days or so..

I'll be doing a full write-up on the Lambertian optics along with some re-review of the batwing optics. I'll also be "cross testing" the optics to see what kind of results I can get.

Also the new style "nub-less" optics in the narrow pattern should be coming into stock sometime in the next couple of weeks.