Princeton Tec APEX Extreme

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand it's the same thing as Apex but has a 8xAA pack that goes on your belt.
Interesting concept.

Anyone modded it with P4 yet? What runtime to expect?

I presume the 5mm LEDs are still blue and dim?

verbage

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these that I used pretty extensively in June/July for some cave work. Yes, it is basically as you describe--like a regular Apex, but with an 8xAA remote pack.

I was not really paying close attention to runtime as I was using it with 2500 mAh Energizer NiMHs (standard style, not LSD style) that I recharged each night. But certainly I used it at least 6-7 hours on some days. I think once or twice I had drained the cells enough that regulation dropped out, and it reverted to a dimmer, long-runtime mode (i.e. there was no difference between Maxbright Low and High modes). By the way, the runtimes I am talking about are with using it exclusively on the Maxbright High mode as when I am in a cave, I like as much light as possible.

This is probably clear to you and others, but if not, when you look at the specs on the regular Apex at the PT website (http://princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=2), they list the runtime for that regular 4xAA version on the Maxbright High mode as 72 hours. As you are probably aware, you do not actually get 72 hours of regulated, high output use, not on the regular 4xAA version, nor the 8xAA Extreme version!!! You get several hours of regulated, high output use, and then the system kicks back to a much dimmer, long-runtime mode for the remainder of the supposed 72 hours (I alluded to this above). Unfortunately, I never stopped to measure this, so I can't tell you how long it takes for it to go out of regulation. Elsewhere I have seen folks mention numbers for the 4xAA version, so possibly you could just double that as the Extreme 8xAA version as it is just basically two 4xAA packs in parallel. Surely somebody will yell about this statement and correct me--please go ahead!

Finally, regarding modding it with P4, I am really anxious to do so, but I have simply not gotten around to it yet. The increased output and runtime would certainly be appreciated, and it simply seems wasteful not to do so!

I saw your other post in the LED flashlight forum comparing your P4-modded PT Apex to your 135 lumen Fenix L2D. By coincidence, I had a L2D Q5 Premium along with me this summer, and as should be obvious, the Apex Extreme even on Maxbright High was simply no comparison for the L2D Q5 on Turbo mode (supposedly ~180 lumens). So, I am quite eager to do a P4 mod on my PT Apex Extreme to see if it can somewhat level the playing field.

Just for reference, any details about the P4 emitter your modding friend used? I am thinking of this one at DX (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026), but if there are better options available, even if more expensive, then all the better.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a P4 from Photon Fanatic from the dealer's forum in the marketplace. He always sells top bin LEDs, where as Kai and DX LEDs sometimes disappoint. You'll also get them much faster.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand it's the same thing as Apex but has a 8xAA pack that goes on your belt.
Interesting concept.

Anyone modded it with P4 yet? What runtime to expect?

I presume the 5mm LEDs are still blue and dim?
The new Apex (all of them) now features a SSC-P4.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get that info? There is nothing on their site about it.

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=2
Don't bother checking their website, they never update it. Not even the new EOS-II is listed there. You can read about it at Brightguy. They have the two versions available and the older model (2007) is on sale. The new models are listed as delivering 80 lumens VS 60lm of the older ones. All of the 2008 versions of the Apex got the SSC-P4 instead of the Luxeon III.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I can find is "New model with brighter LEDs", at 80 lumens. Hm.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_APEX.php
Most big mainstream manufacturers don't talk about LED names and brands, so you won't hear "Seoul Semiconductor LED" coming out of their mouths. They list "new", "improved" and "brighter" but they never say third party names. However, just go ahead and open the new EOS-II or the Apex and surprise! You'll see a P4 right there inside...