Energizer e2® Lithium LED Headlight

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but it's hard to search for a light that the company gives the same name as one of their batteries.

I've got quite a few medium and low power headlamps (Quad, Eos, River Rock 2aa, Petzl eLite, etc.) but have been waiting for the right high power light. I've never been crazy about the multiple LED designs, or I would have bought an Apex some time ago. I was back on this board after a long absence to research the Myo XP, but came across this new offering from Energizer at BrightGuy. It's not available from those folks for a couple more weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a hold of one elsewhere, or seen an early review?

Some nice features: both AA and AAA packs; 130 lumen Boost mode; red night vision mode; aluminum case; "weatherproof".

Questions: Regulated? (I'm guessing not); focusing head--is it worthwhile?; weight?

Hoping to learn more,
Jack

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what's wrong with PT Apex? I was pleased with the original and even more so with the P4 mod.

Not durable enough due to plastic construction, and not waterproof. Plus the 5mm LEDs are terrible, and I hate soldering 5mm LEDs.

I've been looking at that energizer lamp as well, for about 2 months. Unfortunately I can't answer your questions :ironic:. The 3x cell configuration makes me fear that it is not well regulated, but I can't say for sure. I'm also interested to see the beam pattern as it uses a focusable optic.
SO all I can do is wait for someone who has played with one to chime in.
:popcorn:

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,

I'll chime in and say I am also interested in the e2 headlamp and had been looking at it the last few weeks. Not until this post did I see that it wasn't available yet. Maybe that is why my searches turned up nill as well. I am kinda like you, it looks good but I wonder how good it actually is. I was looking for something with more throw than spill and plenty bright.

-Jon

hopkins

Enlightened
ah-hmmmmm....The obvious solution is to get the e2, and the myo xp and the
pt apex. Then decide for yourself which suits best. :p

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3x cell configuration makes me fear that it is not well regulated, but I can't say for sure.
:popcorn:

With crappy controllers they build into lights, I prefer human regulation, with no controller loss at 3 cells which is close to forward voltage. Whoo hoo! This means 3 cells might actually get over 10 hours-not 7 hours or a mere 2 hours on old cells. (These are stats per mod of 1 watt non reg led, verses moding a 1watt h.l. 1 AA boost to 3 AA.)

Using a pot, I usually just trim down brightness for first 2 hours, then gradually edge up as workday progresses. Though, I now modify my (3 AAA) lights with 1 AA near front and two AA cells at rear of band-just better weight distro. (hint, hint to makers of lights that may be reading.)