What do you have your Arc6 set to?

AMRaider

Enlightened
Was messing around with my new toy, er.. tool and I was wondering what the rest of you have you Arc6 set to? I really like lights with only one or two settings so I went with Level 1, Level 5, and Level 5. With these settings, it mimics the operation of Don's (McGizmo) lights (only the low is a bit lower and the high is a bit higher). I couldn't really tell the difference (with my eyes) between Level 5, 6, and 7 but I noticed that 6 and 7 produced more heat than 5, so I opted to go with 5 as the highest setting since I figured I would get better battery life.

So, what do you folks have your Arc6's set to?

P.S. My Arc6 has the Seoul P4 and I use primary CR123s.

Elmie

Enlightened
I have the pre-production arc6 and have mine set to:

level 1 - 3
level 2 - 1
virtual (level 3) - 7

There is a noticeable difference between level 7 and level 6 on the k2-tffc. On level 7 the arc6 destroys my HDS EDC modded with a P4.

I use level 3 the most and hardly ever on the lowest that's why I have mine reversed.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I agree with Elmie. I have a K2 Arc6, level 7 is incredible. It only last 30-40 seconds, but rivals anything in the single emitter arena.

With that said, I have mine set, at the moment, on level 1 and level 3, and level 6 for virtual.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a production model set at;

Level 3 and Level 6.

Virtual is strobe. I use this pointed at the ground when crossing the streets at night.

I too use level 3 alot.

Off topic and not a high jack but...

How is your battery life? I went though my 1st battery rather quickly. I was using it on high frequently in 10 second intervals whenever I used it at night. The light flashed or did a ramping up when the battery juiced out. Once a new cell was installed it was fine.

Elmie

Enlightened
I use RCR123's only, this way I can have guilt free lumens. The light came with a duracell and using level 7 on that didn't last at all. Just from playing around for 30mins or so and I couldn't even use level 5 anymore. I have yet to use another primary after that. I charge my RCR123 about once a week and I maybe use level 7 a handful of times and mainly level 3. By the time I charge the battery its still got about 80% charge left so this light isn't power hungry at all. Well that's until you use level 7. I can get over 10mins handheld on level 7 before the light steps down. It's stepping down due to heat.

WTH

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know the factory default? I just got mine today and it appears its:

level 1: 1
level 2: 6
virtual: 6

Is that right? If so, I'm a bit surprised that level 1 isn't set to 2. 7 lumens seems more typical usage than 1 lumen.

EDIT: One other question, slightly off-topic. Have you guys noticed it takes a second when you press the piston all the way down (for virtual) that it takes a second to kick on? My PD-S is instant, but with the Arc, it seems like the microchip has to think about it for a second before engaging.

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Level 1 = 1
Level 2 = 4
Level 3 = 7

Still haven't gotten used to how insanely bright Level 3 is :D

AMRaider

Enlightened
...EDIT: One other question, slightly off-topic. Have you guys noticed it takes a second when you press the piston all the way down (for virtual) that it takes a second to kick on? My PD-S is instant, but with the Arc, it seems like the microchip has to think about it for a second before engaging.

You are correct, sir. The Arc6 has a slight delay (perhaps 1/4 second) when switching to the virtual stage.

As for battery life, I have not measured it. For what it's worth, I am still on my first battery after about a month of intermittent use at Level 5.

WTH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I'm glad to hear the delay to on for virtual is not just on my unit.

I have programmed with the following:

level 1: 1
level 2: 3
level virtual: 7

I though that 1 lumen was too little but it seems to be much more useful than originally anticipated. The low level is ideal for moving around in a room where others are sleeping, etc.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to use mine in quality darkness. A forest and a moonless beach! The output is truely impressive. I ended up using level 2 and 4 with virtual set at level 7. I really didn't know how much light it put out until I used level 7 on a moonless beach. You have to see it to appreciate it. Level 4 will annoy!

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
P4 LED

2-3-4

Reason Virtual is only level 4 is that on Regular 123 cell I do not see difference between level 4 and 5,6,7...

I am also thinking of making it a 2-4-Strobe...

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto above... For now, at least...
Level4 seems to heat up nicely after a while (much more than, say, a P1D on Max), so i'm thinking of going back to 2-3-7. It doesn't get uncomfortably hot, mind you, just pretty warm.

OTOH it will be a nice hand-warmer in the winter days :D

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varies night and day.

Daytime I have Level 2, level 3 and level 7

Night I change it to level 1, level 2 and level 7

Ok Ok, I love level 7 even if it doesn't last for long - out in the field I'd probably keep to level 4 on turbo - just for the battery life.

"Nice little light, son. Where d'you get it??"

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
Mine is set as follows:

Level 1 - 1 (lowest)
Level 2 - 5
Level 3 Virtual - Strobe