Streamlight Propoly 4AA 7-LED Changes?

txmatt

Enlightened
Does anyone know if SL made any mid-run changes to the original 4AA Propoly with the 7 LED's to account for the early failures? I have the Propoly Lux version and like it, but some people also really like the multi-LED version for it's flood of light. It seems that early ones had issues with LED's going out with the suspect being the 5mm LED's were driven too hard. Anyone know if this has been corrected and has anyone walked the plank and used Lithium primaries in one?

Matt

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If the light is only resistored I would refrain from using lithiums unless you want to fry the LEDs.... or perhaps mod the circuit in it to reduce the current to the LEDs to safer levels. 4 batteries at 0.2 to 0.3v is 0.8-1.2v more than what the light is designed from and I bet the current specs including overdriving the LEDs as it is.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the earliest versions of the light were driving the LEDs absurdly hard, up to 120 mA per LED. Later Streamlight added more resistance to get the current down to maybe 90 mA on fresh batteries, which is still grossly overdriven.

Here is an old thread that I was able to find. See post #5 for the explanation from Streamlight.

I've heard some people on CPF recommend using 3 batteries plus a dummy cell, even with alkaline batteries. Four lithium cells would be a bad idea.

Latest posts