E2D upgrade ideas

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Any ideas/suggestions on upgrading a standard xenon SF E2D?

And does the lumens factory EO-E2R (7.2V, 150 Lumens) Extreme High Output Lamp Assembly fit in the E2D, or just the E2? (I assume it needs RCR123's for full output).

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Come on incan guys! Don't disappoint me! lol... I've been much more of an LED guy, but am starting to have my love of incan's renewed! There has got to be a way to make this more of an eye-scorcher light!

:candle:

sappyg

Enlightened
i've been looking at this same bulb for the exact same reasons you are. i could be wrong but i think it fits any E2 setup. the thing that concerns me is that it is spec'd at 7.2v. with 2 RCR's i'm curious if it can take a higher voltage.
i'm gonna e-mail lighthound and ask the question. surely someone here has ran this bulb.:popcorn:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...the EO-E2R will fit the Surefire E series, and you need to run 2 RCR123 batteries for full output. Lumens Factory confirmed it is designed to work with 2 RCR123 batteries.

And does the lumens factory EO-E2R (7.2V, 150 Lumens) Extreme High Output Lamp Assembly fit in the E2D, or just the E2? (I assume it needs RCR123's for full output).

sappyg

Enlightened
a quote from bezel from another simalr thread:
Agree that the LF lamps are good. Here is my input. I don't think that 110 LF lumens is noticably brighter than 60 SF lumens. [The 110 is bulb lumens and the SF 60 is torch lumens - about the same]. I don't know if that would be much of an upgrade (except the throw is usually better with LF lamps). If you did want to go the rechargeable route the 150 lumen lamp is certainly superior to the stock lamp. Also, the rechargeable may be worth it but you need to make sure you know how to use them safely - not fool proof.

My other advice if you get one of the LF lamps is to remove the sticker with the information on the top part of the base and put rubbing alcohol on a rag and remove the remaining sticky so that you have clean metal. Then clean the glass with the rubbing alcohol if you touched it. There was an issue with reflector fogging with some of the LF bulbs - my theory (I'm not saying fact) is that the sticker was gitting hot and off-gassing - thus fogging the reflector."

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Excellent, hopefully two AW's will fit my E2D -- enroute from Batterystation.com $70 shipped to Canada with 10 CR123's! wooooo! (and Kevin said he'd throw in a couple more batteries for free!

Illum

Flashaholic
I've been using the E0-E1R in My E2D primarily because rcr123As runtimes are too short, then again...my body can accept 17670s:whistle:

Illum

Flashaholic
Does it need some kind of mod to take the 17670's?

The bodies turned out by surefire tapers to a smaller diameter towards the tailcap section. Supposedly theres someone here on the forum who offers boring service. I do it the poor man's method: ream a bar of wood smaller than the width of a CR123A along with some 200 grit sandpaper into the body of the light and rotate around. expect it to take some considerable time, but the results are well worth it IMO.

I'm not sure what the new Surefire bodies are made of but I do know that some design changes have been put into place to discourage the use of rechargeables:ohgeez:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

My E2D currently runs with a EO-E2R and I like this setup! And yes, the EO-E2R needs RCR123A to run. Runtime is about 40 minutes with this setup and new batteries.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Do you have an E2D with a Domed lense, or a flat one.

If its domed ( Old style) than you could pull apart a P61, and fit that in;

Or a P91...but you will have to wait a while untill you can buy (two) IMR RCR123's to power it...Due out in a while ( hopefully)

If its flat then I think you have to file the bulb down, and a few other bits.

But it will get stupid hot on the P91. ~( I used to run mine on two unprotected RCR123's but it was silly and dangerous ( Bright though for the size :sssh: )

Do a search for E2+ here on Cpf. Its an old mod, before lumens factory etc.

Or you could use a socket built buy five Mega to run a TL£ lamp of two RCR 123's.

(I think I have a spare somewhere if you can't find one)

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I think I've decided on ordering the EO-E2R from Lumens Factory to run on two AW123's.... Easiest upgrade I can see!

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Sometimes you just need an incan :) (and sometimes it just has to be a Surefire!)

...curse batterystation! just couldn't pass up the deal.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this same set up in my E2D with the LF E0-E2R and like it. I'm using AW'S RCR123's without any problems. Some say they notice a big difference over the stock set up. I personally can't say I noticed a huge difference in output, but for the cheap upgrade, it was fun to try something different. But I've been running high output LEDS and am used to the output from these.

Dan

Illum

Flashaholic
My E2D currently runs with a EO-E2R and I like this setup! And yes, the EO-E2R needs RCR123A to run. Runtime is about 40 minutes with this setup and new batteries.

:huh2:
40 minutes?!
why was my score so low?:faint:

with AWRCR123As [they've been through so many cycles in the streamlight scorpion with the TL3 lamp I'm guessing they are abit too old now] I get about 25 minutes or so with the EO-E2R before I notice theres a dimmer output:candle:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it was 40 minutes before shutdown by the protection circuit, with brand new batteries.

:huh2:
40 minutes?!
why was my score so low?:faint:

with AWRCR123As [they've been through so many cycles in the streamlight scorpion with the TL3 lamp I'm guessing they are abit too old now] I get about 25 minutes or so with the EO-E2R before I notice theres a dimmer output:candle:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did just the opposite. I installed a MN02 LA. Bright, white, and a pretty decent discharge curve for an incan.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
E2D arrived today, shipped with 14 battery station primaries! Brand new light in a slightly frayed box... I had forgotten how nice an incan can be.... and how bright 60 lumens of SUREFIRE light really is.

Lumens Factory 150lumen bulb for RCR's is on the way!