Which 1xAAA led?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I dont think I want to put the L1tv2 on coat duty this winter. The tailcap clicky would have to be locked out and constantly going from lock out to non locked is going to wear battery ends and possibly the spring...

So to kill two birds with one stone, I'm thinking of picking up a nice, neat little 1AAA twisty, very much like the E01. My only problem with that particular light is the lack of a window. I mean, pockets can be hard enough on a light (and for me, its usually due to lint build up), and that E01 led housing just looks like a big old dirt/grit/grime trap.

Can anybody think of something along those lines except with a led protected by a window? I had a E1 last year and it was phenominal, unfortunately I did misplace it on a particularly fun evening. Any suggestions? :shrug:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a gerber UI, if you dont mind something a teensy bit bigger? Otherwise you could go for an Arc although it sounds like you dont want to go that expensive.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Why do you have to lock out the L1T? It's not that sensitive.

Maybe a gerber UI, if you dont mind something a teensy bit bigger? Otherwise you could go for an Arc although it sounds like you dont want to go that expensive.

Neither of those have lens either.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, pockets can be hard enough on a light (and for me, its usually due to lint build up), and that E01 led housing just looks like a big old dirt/grit/grime trap.
Yep, the head on the E01 is the most efficient pocket lint collector I have ever seen :laughing:

superflytnt

Enlightened
I'd recommend a Streamlight Microstream. All you have to do is gently crack the loctite seal on the head, turn on the clicky tailswitch and then use the head as a twisty. It's a sweet little light either way you turn it on!

tempman

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix LOD is a great twisty, you have to cycle through modes ( off,medium,high,low), but the first medium setting is great, beats the crap out of the E01 in output, but way shorter runtimes. The low mode on the LOD will go for a good while. Go to www.light-reviews.com and sort the results by battery type to compare.

peace,
Jeff

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh whoops, sorry about the gerber and arc recommendations, i dont actually own em, just know their reps. The LOD is great if u dont mind spending the cash, I love mine. What's a little lint tho, just wipe it out with your pinky or a qtip if youre at home.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I carried a 1AA tail clicky in the jacket I killed a few batts (and that was a 14500 light!), so I'm a little gun shy on it now. FWIW, I carry in the inside "document pocket" of a leather bomber jacket. Keeps the light warm and easily accessible. I guess I could try keeping the L1T not locked and just make sure I have an extra NiMH to use in case.

I really liked the E1 with its single mode twisty, the window, though the output was about half of what I'd like (not *quite* enough to dig around under a car hood with). If there was a single mode L0D with 20-30 lumens that would be ideal... But I haven't seen such a beast.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The solution to all your problems..... Fenix L0D. :twothumbs

Has a protective window. Several modes. I recommend running it on 1AAA lithium cell.

I have the Rebel 80 version. But many CPFers seem to enjoy the Q4.

yalskey

Enlightened
I had a Tiablo A1 (1xAAA) at 100 lumens. It's a twisty. It was pretty good and pretty darn bright for a single AAA. It has a useful clip (like the SureFire Backup). I gave it to my father in law to use on his key chain. He likes it and uses it often for search inside of network closets.

Not much is mentioned here on CPF about this little gem.

(p.s. Hey, post 300 for me... yeahhhhh!!!)

superflytnt

Enlightened
That's the primary mode of the LOD, first to come on, and the only mode you ever have to use if that's your preference.

Yeah but I've found that my Microstream is brighter than my LOD on primary, gets better runtimes and throws as far as my LOD on high..........not to mention it's 1/3 the price and has better beam and tint. If you use it as a twisty (or as a clicky for that matter), the MS beats the LOD in many ways, IMO.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah but I've found that my Microstream is brighter than my LOD on primary, gets better runtimes and throws as far as my LOD on high..........not to mention it's 1/3 the price and has better beam and tint. If you use it as a twisty (or as a clicky for that matter), the MS beats the LOD in many ways, IMO.

Runtime is less with the MS, not more (2 hrs vs 2.75 hrs on Eneloop). The spot may be brighter because of the beam pattern, but the overall output is indeed lower. Don't confuse lumens and lux, they are not directly related.

Now if you combine the MS body with LOD head, that's a winning combination.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
Runtime is less with the MS, not more (2 hrs vs 2.75 hrs on Eneloop). The spot may be brighter because of the beam pattern, but the overall output is indeed lower. Don't confuse lumens and lux, they are not directly related.

You are correct sir. But the Microstream has a near perfect beam pattern, the LOD...not so much. I am a clicky/throw/smooth beam pattern kind of guy, so the LOD is not so hot in my eyes.

superflytnt

Enlightened

Notice I said on primary. My MS is brighter than my LOD Q4 on primary, not high. It is brighter via a ceiling bounce test. Not very scientific but quite obvious and maybe I got a dud LOD but my MS does better on any given battery type vs. the LOD on primary............................

I'm going by my own experience here, not factory stats BTW

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm going by my own experience here, not factory stats BTW

And I'm going by CPF reviews. Also, "primaries" to me means L92 since alkaline cells are generally unsuitable for use in modern electronics. The LOD is brighter on L92's where the MS just gets more runtime. Different type of regulation between the two lights (and a very different beam pattern, flood vs throw)

superflytnt

Enlightened
And I'm going by CPF reviews. Also, "primaries" to me means L92 since alkaline cells are generally unsuitable for use in modern electronics. The LOD is brighter on L92's where the MS just gets more runtime. Different type of regulation between the two lights (and a very different beam pattern, flood vs throw)

Ah, that's the confusion then. I was quoting you from post # 10 (re-read my post # 12) where you stated "primary" as the first mode of the LOD, aka medium. To clarify, my Microstream is brighter than my LOD Q4 on it's first mode, or medium, on any given type of battery.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ah, that's the confusion then. I was quoting you from post # 10 where you stated "primary" as the first mode of the LOD, aka medium. To clarify, my Microstream is brighter than my LOD Q4 on it's first mode, or medium, on any given type of battery.

I wasn't referring to batteries at all in post #10. Keep in mind that ceiling bounce tests lend themselves to lights with throw over flood lights. Calibrated lightbox tests are more representative of overall brightness.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I wasn't referring to batteries at all in post #10. Keep in mind that ceiling bounce tests lend themselves to lights with throw over flood lights. Calibrated lightbox tests are more representative of overall brightness.

I know that, that was my point.

Have I offended you in some way? Maybe we should talk about it via PM