triple q5 got me in trouble!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
well i carried my new sl-20x with malkoff high voltage triple to work with me tonight (i work in a factory). i showed it to all my friends up there and they were amazed, totally blew'em away. this thing is easily putting out 700 lumens!!! well there's always someone to spoil the fun. i was showing it to one of my friends when another guy pulled up on a forklift. i guess u could call him more of an acquaintance than a friend(the guy on the forklift). but anyways he had his headlights shining at us(not intentional), so i just shined my sl-20x at him. i was just showing him my new light. he was at least 25-30 feet away and this factory doesn't have the best lights but it is well lite. well a little later my supervisor came by and told me to put up the flashlight b/c the forklift driver was still seeing stars!!
mad71.gif
i think he just wanted to get me in trouble, b/c like i said we're talking 25-30 ft in a lighted factory!

ohh well it was worth getting in trouble, i was so proud of my new malkoff drop-in!!! Performed just as i want it to!! :devil:

Probably why Gene has this posted on his site:
WARNING: This light is capable of causing eye damage at close range. Please use the light responsibly!!!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ocular trauma FTW! I know every time I get a new light I spend at least a week blinding myself.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
thats an envious kind of trouble for you to be in ;)
On a more serious note, I try not to shine any of my lights directly at someones face/eyes out of courtesy. It can be uncomfortable for them and they may perceive it as an act of aggression.

;)

dixemon

Enlightened
Ha,ha.. thanks for the story. Im glad your co-workers appreciated your new tool. To bad for the blind man behind the wheel.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know you have an awesomely powerful tool in your hands, you need to be more responsible. Maybe one real quick flash or just have hit him with the outer edge of the beam. These things are blinding, 25 feet is nothing. That set of Fraen reflectors does a real good job. You really should apologize to the guy in the forklight and tell your boss you will be far more careful in the future to head off any future trouble.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
I agree w/ Gman, flashlights are awesome and at the same time awesomely powerful. even out in the open at 12pm, most single CREE Q5's are still bright and can make a spot on a wall from 10-15 feet away.

Anything over 200 lumens or even less should be used with caution, responsibility and respect

that said, cool light :devil:

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
dang guys now im worried hope i didnt mess up dudes eyes or something!! :faint:

dougie

Enlightened
I take it from some of the words used in your post that you get bad vibes from this guy, It could be he feels a similar way about you? At any rate I think he was acting responsibly by reporting the incident. He, not you is responsible for the safe driving of the forklift and if he had crashed or harmed a person or materials due to being temporarily blinded then he would quite rightly have been able to hold you to account.

As a side note I wouldn't worry about permanently injuring his eyesight as it takes more than a quick flash from a light to cause long term damage. However, may I suggest that you wait fro the right moment and when convenient speak to this guy and offer him your apologies about your behavior? He may not want to hear it or even be particularly friendly but at least you would be trying to do the right thing and win back some kudos for acknowledging your error?:twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, hopefully you learned from your mistake. Gene cautions against doing what you did. He makes a very good product, and a very bright product. I don't think he designed it so someone could shine it in the eyes of someone operating heavy equipment... Especially the 3 x Cree, the Single Mag drop in would be bad enough, but the 3 x Cree, OUCH. I wouldn't want that shining in my eyes at high noon. :) I don't doubt he was seeing spots for some time after being hit with that. The other night I was playing around and blasted myself, via a mirror, with much less powerful lights than what you were wielding and I was seeing spots for awhile. The fork lift guy did the right thing in reporting you, rather than kicking your butt like some other people might do in a similar situation. :)

Maybe have someone stand at the same distance and blast you in the eyes so you can experience the effect, although everyone's eyes are different and it may effect some people more than others.

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
I say fook em if they can't take a joke. :nana:

Oh that's clever. What are you, 15 years old now?

If you've ever worked in one you'd know that a factory can be a dangerous place and with bosses cracking the whip on hi-lo drivers it's easy enough for them to run somebody down without being blinded by spotlights.

Last edited:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Ok Ok ..... Wow "He did the responsible thing by reporting you to a supervisor" and all the very serious, politically correct, over zealous rambling.

He shined a flashlight at someone.

I wish the least people did to me at work was shine me with a bright light. my job would be easy

I must agree with greatwhitehunte "Fook Em"

Sounds like you work in a tattle tale playgroung sandbox

superflytnt

Enlightened
Ok Ok ..... Wow "He did the responsible thing by reporting you to a supervisor" and all the very serious, politically correct, over zealous rambling.

He shined a flashlight at someone.

I wish the least people did to me at work was shine me with a bright light. my job would be easy

I must agree with greatwhitehunte "Fook Em"

Sounds like you work in a tattle tale playgroung sandbox

LOL, I know that's easy to say when you flip burgers or work in an office but on an actual factory floor with hi-lo's zipping around and lots of heavy machinery.....................a simple distraction like that can get people seriously hurt.

Grow up and get some life experience before saying something silly like that is my advice...................................

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
LOL, I know that's easy to say when you flip burgers or work in an office but on an actual factory floor...blah blah blah....

oooooooooooohhhhhhh......
actual factory......

spent 4 years in the service and now my job involves a duty belt including a pistol

get enough life experience to get over yourself before you say something silly :shakehead

I wish the most people did to me at work was shine a light at me
my job would be easy :ohgeez:

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
LOL, I know that's easy to say when you flip burgers or work in an office but on an actual factory floor with hi-lo's zipping around and lots of heavy machinery.....................a simple distraction like that can get people seriously hurt.

Grow up and get some life experience before saying something silly like that is my advice...................................
I agree. I'm saying this more for people who don't appreciate a factory environment, not so much for the OP.

Safety is a huge issue for factories. A factory setting can turn ugly in a sec. If that forklift driver hit someone by accident or caused serious property damage, it would've ended really bad for the OP. For the company, it goes beyond any property damage, but also gets into liability issues. Maybe problems with OSHA, or maybe their liability insurance rates get bumped or in extreme case even canceled. For those reasons alone, the driver was right to report the incident, if he was in fact seeing stars for awhile, otherwise *he* would bear the responsibility of any downtime or accident related to this sight impairment.

Status
Not open for further replies.